Looking for Laptop Recommendation

Post your awesome projects here for everyone to marvel at!
ron4094

Looking for Laptop Recommendation

Postby ron4094 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:07 pm

I'm looking for recommendations for a new laptop to connect to my Anan 7000 dle mk2 using my lan. I would like to keep the price at $1,000 maximum. I also would appreciate any advice on what to look for in a new laptop to run my Anan.

Thanks,
Ron
WB2RON
FM5GB

Re: Looking for Laptop Recommendation

Postby FM5GB » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:18 pm

Hi Ron,

Surprisingly no one did answer your question, Any computer operating an Anan radio should be rather powerfull; That's because most of the computing will be done by your laptop as Thetis runs your radio as a so called fat client. When running your radio thru a WIFI connection to your network you'll experience the need to reduce sampling rates and all other computer consuming items in Thetis.
I sometime utilize my Asus laptop (i5 1135G7 @2.40 GHz, 8 Gb RAM under Win10-64 family edition) which I bought for under $ 1000. To avoid dropouts I had to reduce the sampling rate to 48000. So running Thetis on your 7000 thru a laptop is possible at reasonable (eg reduced) settings.

73's
Phil FM5GB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:59 pm

I missed this post as well, somehow.

Thetis likes cores, lots of cores. If you can find a laptop with a 6 or 8 core processor in your price range definitely go for that.

It is very difficult to run Thetis over WiFi. Not impossible, but very difficult. For best, and easiest results, run it over a hardwired Ethernet connection. With any reasonable laptop, e.g. 4 core I5 or better, you will have no difficulty running Thetis at any sample rate this way. So you probably want a laptop with a built-in GigE Ethernet port as well, rather than using a USB Ethernet adapter. If you are going to use a USB Ethernet adapter, be sure that the laptop has a legit USB3 port as a USB2 port is not fast enough to realize the full potential of a GigE connection.
KA5KKT

Postby KA5KKT » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:00 pm

Thanks for the WiFi info.

I'm on the verge of springing for a 'desktop replacement (hopefully)' laptop. The likely candidate will have 2 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports & 1 Thunderbolt 4.0 port. The Thunderbolt port will likely go to a desktop dock. The dock will have a single Ethernet port which should go to my ISP modem & router. The laptop also has Intel® Wi-Fi 6E (6GHz). The laptop and Anan 7000DLE MKII will usually be in very close proximity to each other, though I suppose I might (optionally) occasionally want to wander into the living room with the laptop.

One other concern to iron out, but I suppose that is mostly on computer manufacturer's side of the fence is substituting for a touch screen. How touch friendly is Thetis?

What are my options for a stable connection while using Thetis?

Kind regards,
Dick

PS Happy for the post to be relocated as needed.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:01 pm

I cannot recommend using Wi-Fi for the radio. Is it possible? Yes. Is it easy or simple? No.

Perhaps someone who has conquered Wi-Fi will chime in.

Use your dock NIC for the radio, add another USB NIC for the Internet, or use the Wi-Fi for Internet.

Thetis is touch friendly. You can even turn on the Andromeda UI menus and use those.

Return to “PC's & Homebrew Hardware”