linHPSDR with some bug fixes

db8gk

linHPSDR with some bug fixes

Postby db8gk » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:14 pm

Hi all,

I've found and fixed the bug that led to crashes in linHPSDR when using pulseaudio on TX. While at it, I've collected a few contributions what were waiting in the pull requests pipeline. The result can be found here:

https://github.com/andreasdotorg/linhpsdr

73 de DB8KG
KO1C

Re: linHPSDR with some bug fixes

Postby KO1C » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:53 pm

Will there also be a .deb package?

David KO1C
DL1OF

Postby DL1OF » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:33 am

Hi,

nice to see linHPSDR isn't completely dead!

What distro are You running linHPSDR on? I guess a requirement still is that it must base on Debian or Ubuntu but what version?

A .deb package would be nice but i hope for an appimage or a flatpak version in the future, regardless how far!

Bernhard , DL1OF
Last edited by DL1OF on Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KO1C

Postby KO1C » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:41 am

Unfortunately, Ubuntu 22.04 seems to have completely broken Linhpsdr.

Library renaming seems to be one of the culprits.

David KO1C
ha5ft

Postby ha5ft » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:26 am

unixcw-3.5.1, wdsp and linhpsdr could be compiled and after compilation could be installed on ubuntu 22.04. It runs correctly at least for receiving. Tested with Metis and Mercury. Next will be tested with Anan7000.
No library naming problems has been detected.
For compilation one should install the prerequisites as stated in the readme file.
When you install linhpsdr the make file complains about unsafe repository, but it installs the program.
Jani, ha5ft
KO1C

Postby KO1C » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:44 am

Thanks for the tip, I too rebuilt and now it's working.

David KO1C
DL1OF

Postby DL1OF » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:53 pm

Any audio dropout issues?

The last version i have tested had noticeable audio dropouts unlike a much older version i used before, but i don't recall which version. :oops:

Bernhard, DL1OF
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:11 pm

@db8gk

Trying to build this and failing :(

Got all the dependencies installed. Got WDSP built. When I try to build your version, Andreas, I get this error:

main.c:33:10: fatal error: wdsp.h: No such file or directory
33 | #include <wdsp.h>
| ^~~~~~~~
ha5ft

Postby ha5ft » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:29 pm

Please check in the wdsp Makefile what is INCLUDEDIR. Usually it should be /user/local/include. Next you should check this dir after you have installed wdsp. The wdsp.h header file must be there. If the file is not there you could manually execute the consol commands what you find in the Makefile in the install: rule.
I suppose you made the installation with
sudo make install
command and you have sudo right on your system.
73, ha5ft Jani
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:55 pm

Thank you for the response, Jani. I've got it sorted out now.

I traced the problem back to a mistake I made, which was needing to load the fft3 library with apt-get instead of apt, and I had not noticed that wdsp didn't build correctly. No red text in the terminal window :D

I got fft3 installed correctly, rebuilt wdsp, then ran into one more problem, which was that I needed to build and install the CW stuff even though Andreas readme said it was optional. After that Andreas' version of linHPSDR built fine, and it runs and discovers the radio.

Thanks!
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:49 am

I just built it a few days ago, it works on RX but on TX there seems to be some sort of audio buffer issue going on. I get snaps and pops like an old record. It's readable but it's just kind of embarrassing to run.

I'm running a low-latency kernel and with the Ubuntu Studio setup.

I tried modifying the sampling rates for the tx buffer (in the code base) to 44.1 and a few others with no improvement. I tried changing the Jack config to different sample rates and buffers as well, no fix.

I run ExpertSDR3 that uses portaudio without any issues and the native config is 48kHz and 256 buffer on this system.

In better news, I did find that Reaper runs nicely on linux and with Jack it allows for nice audio processing for TX on linux. You can also run Carla without paying for Reaper if you like.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:09 pm

I fooled with it a bit late yesterday. I can't get anything through pulseaudio, so that would have to be the next Linux mystery to unravel. Meanwhile Youtube in the browser and VLC all work fine, so it's not the OS. Even if I overcome that, the discovery process is broken. If I start linHPSDR, then exit it, linHPSDR will not discover the hardware unless I power cycle the ANAN first. But I know the hardware is discoverable because Thetis finds it no problem without needing any power cycles on the ANAN. And, finally, if I let it run for 5 or 10 minutes just to watch the panadapter, it freezes.

At this point it's just not worth the ass pain to fix the pulseaudio problem given all the other things that are wrong with it that I see here and the things others are reporting. It's really too bad, I was looking forward to experimenting with something a little different.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:24 pm

Well I must be a glutton for punishment. I fixed the audio problem, which was just my lack of understanding of the user interface. And I fixed the disconnect problem, which had something to do with having two IP addresses on a single NIC. I had to configure two NICs.

I'm only running it on an older i3, but it's a quad core CPU, and CPU loading remains below 50% (or 200%, as Linux likes to scale 100% to equal a single core). Nevertheless, sample rates above 48KHz cause unacceptable audio drop-outs, so that's quite disappointing. I was able to run 192KHz no problem on an equivalent Windows machine.

The TX panadapter looks fine during Tune, but on the DUP display it looks terrible, no doubt because there is no ATT on TX function.

In fact there appears to be no attenuator functionality at all. Or am I missing something?

And without any ATT support, PS can't be working?
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:15 pm

I don’t believe PS is actually implemented. I tried multiple things to get some sign of life with no luck.

I do like the feature where you can make the TX and RX filters track each other.

I also went into the code and changed the preset filter defaults to open down to 50Hz and the widths indicative of the max frequency from dial frequency.

I wish I could integrate port audio as I think it would fix a few issues. It’s just too advanced for me to do.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:06 am

But does it have any support for the control of the step attenuator?
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:46 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:But does it have any support for the control of the step attenuator?

In the radio tab there is attenuator adjustment, seems to work, but not positive if it's the S-att or not.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:24 pm

I found it. I feel like an idiot for missing it :oops:
KO1C

Ubuntu 22.10

Postby KO1C » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:31 am

Anybody get linhpsdr to work with Ubuntu 22.10 (Linux)?

Dependencies were easy and it seems to run but it doesn't "see" the radio.

David KO1C
w-u-2-o

Re: Ubuntu 22.10

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:48 am

KO1C wrote:Anybody get linhpsdr to work with Ubuntu 22.10 (Linux)?

Dependencies were easy and it seems to run but it doesn't "see" the radio.

David KO1C

That doesn't sound like an Ubuntu problem but rather a network configuration problem.

Return to “linHPSDR”