Anyone still working on linHPSDR?

Cosmo1stgen

Anyone still working on linHPSDR?

Postby Cosmo1stgen » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:29 am

Just wondering if this is still being developed? I downloaded the latest and it is way better than I remember from a few years ago. Problem is I get audio popping over 96k sampling. The TX actually works now though and sounds good!

Running latest linux mint. I replaced pulse audio with pipe wire which fixed some of my audio issues using my peaberry and quisk.
w-u-2-o

Re: Anyone still working on linHPSDR?

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:58 pm

It's probably fair to say that the answer to that questions is "No."

John Melton's Git repo has seen almost no significant activity for a long time.

Did you see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4155 ?
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:41 am

He had mentioned to me that he was mainly working on the Pi controller version.

I ran into some audio issues that I think were a sampling rate thing with Ubuntu 22.04 last I was playing with it. It was too far over my head in the code to get it fix with random hammering on it.

My audio is all virtual using Jack etc so I’m sure that mix was part of it.
Cosmo1stgen

Postby Cosmo1stgen » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:11 am

It’s good to hear there is progress. Hopefully the pi work can be ported over. Scott I have been following you playing with this for awhile. As of tonight I got it on the air relatively clean and after changing some network settings namely don’t throttle and fixed instead of auto at 1 gig I can now listen reliably at 384k. I tried 768 and get pops in the audio. I sure hope he puts some work back into linhpsdr. I like the interface. I had thetis setup exactly how I wanted for years but I am getting back into the hobby after some time and am really liking the stability of linux os.

Ryan
KK6DZB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:21 pm

Ryan,

"Playing" is the operative word. I don't ever use linHPSDR, or piHPSDR for real. Where amateur radio is concerned the best tools are found on Windows.

IMHO, those who eschew Windows are doing themselves a disservice. The same goes for Linux. I use both operating systems, Linux and Windows, and at this point in their respective evolutions they are equally stable and equally painful, the both of them. I choose which one to use based on which is the best tool for a particular job.

For most of my network infrastructure Linux is mandatory. Pihole, Unifi, CheckMk, etc. The best network tools are found on Linux. For literally all of my amateur radio work I find Windows mandatory. You can find most of the cool digi mode stuff available for both Windows and Linux, but only Windows supports Thetis, Voicemeeter, DXLabs, N1MM, Winlink and VARA.

Yes, I have to reboot my Windows machines once a week for stability lest I get a crash. But my Linux machines are no better. For instance, a recent Linux upgrade to the latest (Debian) kernel broke my display drivers on my primary Linux "daily driver". I had to roll back. In other words, annoying and unpredictable behavior is just as likely with Linux as it is with Windows. And nobody can convince me that dealing with Pulseaudio is easier or more reliable than the Windows sound system. I also have a Pihole virtual machine that is crashing every two or three weeks. Just like my Windows machines, I'm probably going to have to create a cron job that forces a reboot once a week to keep it stable.

Anyhow, it's good to have options, but choose your options based on real-world performance, not an esthetic aversion to a particular operating system.

73!

Scott
Cosmo1stgen

Postby Cosmo1stgen » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:04 pm

Scott,

Understood. I am not a windows hater. Lol. Though lately for regular usage I would chose linux. The current desktop is dual boot made of of a lot of random parts. It has 2 ssd 1 with windows and one with linux and a third hhd for storage and backup shared between the two. This is just fun for me as I like to homebrew but this time instead of hardware homebrew it a learning opportunity for software. Linux with regards to setup really is a pita compared to windows. I google a lot!

Last night had a very long qso on 40 ssb with linhpsdr. Didn’t have any problems. The other opp did mention that the low’ s were a bit bassey and highs were not present. I did not set up the eq yet but had the bandwidth from 50 to 3050 so I wonder if the tx bandwidth either doesn’t work and is fixed or tx is off frequency? I will check with another radio and look at the panadapter. Also can’t get the cat setup working in either tcp or serial so I wonder if it functions at all. I will keep playing.

Return to “linHPSDR”