There is no such thing as an ANAN-7000DLE MKIII

Mark C

Postby Mark C » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:06 pm

Hello everyone. I am perplexed about something here. I wrote to support@apache-labs.com a couple days ago and asked this question:

have been your website now for a few days and I have no idea where the information on the 7000DLE MK III is.
I apparently am unable to find out any information, how much they cost, the stats for the item, nor how to go about ordering one.

Could you send me a link the web page that you have all this information?

Here is the response I got from Tony:

Hello Mark,

There is no model such as the 7000DLE MKIII? The latest one is the 7000DLE MKII which is on our web site,
\\

I replied with another email and as of this morning, Friday, I have not received a response.
I have seen many references to the MK III rigs, mentioned in the forms here, as well as a few for sale in qth.com.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Mark C on Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w-u-2-o

Re: 7000DLE MK III

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:49 pm

Your question is an excellent one. I'd love if you would change the title of this topic to "There is no such thing as an ANAN-7000DLE MKIII".

Since you are new here, a short disclaimer: I'm the moderator of the forum. I am not an Apache Labs employee and they don't pay me a dime.

The confusion is because Apache had to make three parts list revisions to the main SDR board:

- Originally called the Orion MKII with an EP4CGX150F896 Cyclone IV series FPGA
- Then a second version still called the Orion MKII with an EP4CE115F29C8N Cyclone IV series FPGA because the original FPGA was no longer being produced.

This was the first mistake. They should have called this the Orion MKIIA so that people knew more easily what firmware to load. Since the entire assembly is still functionally an ANAN-7000DLE MKII they quite rightly did not change the name, and it remained an ANAN-7000DLE MKII.

- Then a third version poorly named the Orion MKIII with an 5CEFA9F31 Cyclone V series FPGA because, again, the previous part number was no longer being produced.

This was the second mistake. They should have called this the Orion MKIIB, again so that people would know more easily what firmware to load, and by calling it the "MKIII" they have produced an illusion that it is somehow better than the previous board revisions even though it is functionally identical.

It is quite correct to continue to refer to the top level assembly as an ANAN-7000DLE MKII because it remains functionally identical as the previous revisions. Although there have been tiny differences that have crept into the line over years, like changes to the fan controller, changes to the current measurement IC, etc., but no significant differences, nothing in the RF or SDR areas.

Then there is the final, ultimate, mistake: Apache is (reportedly, I've never seen one myself) shipping these units marked on the front panel as "ANAN-7000DLE MKIII". How Tony can't know this and respond appropriately is really unfathomable. Maybe they've gone back to labelling them as a MKII?

In the engineering world a revision is something that is functionally identical although it may be built a little differently. What we have is three revisions (at least, not including niggling little details like fan controllers, external fan connectors, case colors, current IC's, etc.), not three entirely different part numbers. They are all functionally the same regardless of how they are labeled or described.

Bottom line: order one. You'll get an ANAN-7000DLE MKII, possibly labeled as a MKIII, with a Cyclone V FPGA in it.

You can find additional historical details here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4462

and here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3960
Mark C

Postby Mark C » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:46 pm

Well that does indeed clarify the situation alright. Thank you very much for the information.

How Tony can't know this and respond appropriately is really unfathomable. Maybe they've gone back to labelling them as a MKII?

That right there was the main reason that prompted me ask the question in the forum. Also, it aided in my confusion as well.

I am fairly sure I am still going to order a 7000dle mk II. I have been reading about them and watching videos on them for years now. Monday seems like a good day to do just that.

Thank you again for the information.

Edit: I changed the subject line as requested. Hopefully no one else will get confused.

Mark
n1gp

Re: There is no such thing as an ANAN-7000DLE MKIII

Postby n1gp » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:29 pm

Definitely at least one out there with the front face marking:

mk3.jpg
mk3.jpg (161.23 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:01 pm

Richard,

I sure hope that isn't a full-size foam pad your MKIII is resting on, that looks like it'd block the fan air intake on the bottom of the rig.. :|

Mark
n1gp

Postby n1gp » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:15 pm

Hey Mark,

Good point! Actually that's not mine, I found that picture on the Facebook Apache-Labs
site, https://www.facebook.com/groups/339649043269447

-Rick / N1GP
Mark C

Postby Mark C » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:17 pm

Hi Richard,

Yeah I have seen a picture of one on qth.com that was for sale last week, as well as one online elsewhere. That is what prompted me to ask my question.

wu2o gave a great explanation of the reasons above. I do agree with his bottom line as well and I will be ordering mine by Monday.

RTOLEDO2002

Re: 7000DLE MK III

Postby RTOLEDO2002 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:43 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Your question is an excellent one. I'd love if you would change the title of this topic to "There is no such thing as an ANAN-7000DLE MKIII".

Since you are new here, a short disclaimer: I'm the moderator of the forum. I am not an Apache Labs employee and they don't pay me a dime.

The confusion is because Apache had to make three parts list revisions to the main SDR board:

- Originally called the Orion MKII with an EP4CGX150F896 Cyclone IV series FPGA
- Then a second version still called the Orion MKII with an EP4CE115F29C8N Cyclone IV series FPGA because the original FPGA was no longer being produced.

This was the first mistake. They should have called this the Orion MKIIA so that people knew more easily what firmware to load. Since the entire assembly is still functionally an ANAN-7000DLE MKII they quite rightly did not change the name, and it remained an ANAN-7000DLE MKII.

- Then a third version poorly named the Orion MKIII with an 5CEFA9F31 Cyclone V series FPGA because, again, the previous part number was no longer being produced.

This was the second mistake. They should have called this the Orion MKIIB, again so that people would know more easily what firmware to load, and by calling it the "MKIII" they have produced an illusion that it is somehow better than the previous board revisions even though it is functionally identical.

It is quite correct to continue to refer to the top level assembly as an ANAN-7000DLE MKII because it remains functionally identical as the previous revisions. Although there have been tiny differences that have crept into the line over years, like changes to the fan controller, changes to the current measurement IC, etc., but no significant differences, nothing in the RF or SDR areas.

Then there is the final, ultimate, mistake: Apache is (reportedly, I've never seen one myself) shipping these units marked on the front panel as "ANAN-7000DLE MKIII". How Tony can't know this and respond appropriately is really unfathomable. Maybe they've gone back to labelling them as a MKII?

In the engineering world a revision is something that is functionally identical although it may be built a little differently. What we have is three revisions (at least, not including niggling little details like fan controllers, external fan connectors, case colors, current IC's, etc.), not three entirely different part numbers. They are all functionally the same regardless of how they are labeled or described.

Bottom line: order one. You'll get an ANAN-7000DLE MKII, possibly labeled as a MKIII, with a Cyclone V FPGA in it.

You can find additional historical details here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4462

and here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3960

How can such a wonderful radio and the way it works, come from a web site that is FRUSTRATING. thank GOD I found this post , you should make a duplicate titled , how to navigate the Apache WEB site naming conventions or lack of.

I am 6 months from ordering a unit , but overwhelmed by this forum and the company as a whole. the Version numbering is a cruel joke on the customers. I read peoplke saying they have been waiting for a year ? is the pandemic still affecting the chips that go in these radios ?

A PI 4 ? really ? I guess they haven't heard of the x86 boards out there ? the LattePanda Sigma anyone ?

I use a PI 400, the fastest one made and it's ok , but not really fast enough for this " Imperial Cruiser Flag Ship radio to have on the inside , not to mention the ongoing shortages .

I hope none of this is offensive to anyone , if it is just delete me.

guess I will wait to see what the G@ does in comparison to the 7000.

Return to “Sales, Delivery, Warranty & Repair Discussions”