ANAN 10 SWR Calibration

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
ww1ssradio

ANAN 10 SWR Calibration

Postby ww1ssradio » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:56 am

Is there any calibration for the swr on the ANAN 10. Mine always shows 26:1 dummy load shows 1:1 with external meter.
Traveling in the RV
Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . .
Ken

Re: ANAN 10 SWR Calibration

Postby Ken » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:20 pm

Hello,

Found your Post interested. A friend of mine has the 10E with similar issues. He sent it to Doug and Doug did not find any issues or was not able to repeat the same issues that my friend is having.

Doug did say to uncheck the box for the SWR protection, but this only stopped the "red" high swr words from popping up on the screen, which I guess is a good thing anyway!

So my friend and I had been experimenting by trying lots of different changes. Some are improvements others are just that, experiments.

Using other transceivers everything checks out a-okay!

When in the tune mode, SWR looks fine, which is transmitting full output.
When using audio through the Mic, is when the issue arrives. (High SWR) We are starting to believe it may be "RF" getting into the 10E.

One thing we want to try next is using VAX to get the audio from the PC while having the Anan's mic disconnected.

Another thing we want to try is to use shielded cable for everything. (mic, PTT, Speaker, and even the power cable)

The Bird Meter is only showing 1 and a 1/4 watts reflected using a 25 watt slug. BIrd engineering states when using their slugs in the reflecting position, they are 10 dbm down from the actual amount written on the slug itself. So from what I have learned, a 25 watt slug will only test 2.5 watts in the reverse/reflected position.

Anyway, this is where we are in this situation, if we find a a fix or something positive I will report back. I ask if you can please do the same.

Thank you for your post.
73 Ken
WB4AM
ww1ssradio

Postby ww1ssradio » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:31 pm

Mine shows high swr in any mode and in tune . . . Always shows the 26:1
Traveling in the RV
ww1ssradio

Postby ww1ssradio » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:07 pm

Found out that it has to do with what rbf file you are running. I was using Hermes_Protocol_2_v10.3.rbf and was getting that issue I went to 10.8 pre 20 and swr reading is correct
Traveling in the RV
KK2L

Postby KK2L » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:36 pm

Good Morning,

Good to see a recent post on this problem. I just acquired an ANAN 10 and noticed the same SWR issue. It will tune flat (1.0:1) when I press TUN in the software but will be all over the place when I am actually in TX. However, as was mentioned, I do have two external meters (one in the ATU and one PM2000A) that are both reading flat when I am in TX. Doug, W5WC, says, "The SWR bridge is a very simple design and does not do well for measurements other than pure resistive type such as a dummy load." Sometimes, the SWR in the software will agree with the externals. I have decided to rely on those meters as representing actual SWR.

Mark
KK2L

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”