Upgraded G2 Saturn with front panel

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
Trucker

Upgraded G2 Saturn with front panel

Postby Trucker » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:18 pm

It looks like the G2 Saturn with the 7" front panel display is being replaced with the new G2 Saturn Ultra radio with an 8 inch display along with a few more buttons and a more polished front panel.
James
WD5GWY

https://apache-labs.com/al-products/106 ... e-SDR.html
w-u-2-o

Re: Upgraded G2 Saturn with front panel

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Not very "ultra", just small improvements, and effectively none for those who buy the black box version.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:09 am

w-u-2-o wrote:Not very "ultra", just small improvements, and effectively none for those who buy the black box version.

I believe that Apache labs had to make a change to a larger display panel for some reason and decided to rename it in the process in hopes of generating more sales. Adding a few extra buttons just sweetens the deal in their mind. But, I don't see how much that will help sales.
In fact, it might add delays to shipping if they have to make any tooling changes.
James
WD5GWY
Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:52 pm

It is interesting that the picture on Apache’s site has been blacked out with photoshop.
It actually looks terrible.

Dan KM6CQ

IMG_4542.jpeg
IMG_4542.jpeg (354.64 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:42 pm

More than likely it was done to remove the photographer's reflection. If it were me,I would have repositioned the radio and powered it on. Just to give potential buyers a look at how the larger display helped.
For whatever reason, ( maybe because I like radios with knobs) I find this version more tempting than the one with the 7" display. I think it is also the extra knob and buttons give the front panel a more symmetrical look. Plus, several of them being user programmable makes a difference to me.
I emailed Sales yesterday to ask how soon the updated G2 Saturn radios with the 8" display will be available. So far, I have not received a response.
If the last time I tried getting information from Sales on the availability of the 7000DLE MKII ( just before they announced that they were being discontinued) is any indication, I doubt I will receive a response. I ended up buying a fantastic 8000DLE and have been happy with it's performance. It even came with a V1 controller. ( totally unexpected as the seller never mentioned it) But, the way I have the 8000DLE setup, ( on a rack out of the way) using the controller (other than testing it to be sure it worked) isn't as convenient as an all in one radio would be.
James
WD5GWY
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:15 pm

Someone finally received a G2 Saturn Ultra with the 8" display earlier this week. Only five months between ordering and receiving.
The guy in New Zealand who writes all the better manuals for different radios finally received his new radio. It arrived with some problems. Loose front panel ( the display) a couple of jammed encoders and some "features " not working as expected. ( some of that may be that PiHPSDR does not quite support the exrea knobs and buttons yet. )
But, at least someone received the new radio.
James
WD5GWY

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”