Andromeda 2nd Monitor

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
va7qi

Andromeda 2nd Monitor

Postby va7qi » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:35 am

Hello Andromeda users,

Andromeda is shipped with a Thundebolt adaptor (USB, HDMI, network) - at least mine was. I tried several HDMI monitors, but none worked.

To make a long story short: the fix is to update the NUC BIOS. Intel has a nice utility for the purpose which will download the latest drivers in addition to the updated BIOS. After a few re-boots, I now have a second monitor.

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.
SM3PZG

Re: Andromeda 2nd Monitor

Postby SM3PZG » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:48 am

Mine worked from start but I wanted 2 extra monitors so I bought a Unisynk USB hub with 2 HDMI ports and it works great.

73/Sam
jvictor1

Postby jvictor1 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:02 pm

I just received my andromeda and am using an external hdmi monitor. I’m trying to get the full expanded display to be active but so far in playing with the display settings I can only get a mode and band set of buttons to appear. How do you get the external monitor to have the full expanded display?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:29 pm

It's hard to understand what you are seeing. Please post screen shots of your displays.
va7qi

Postby va7qi » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:00 am

jviactor1,

Have you tried to drag Thetis over to the second (and presumably larger) monitor? A fully expanded Thetis will need a monitor with a higher resolution than the built-in 7 inch monitor.

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Sat May 27, 2023 10:59 am

I recently bought a used Andromeda, and the USB-C to HDMI part of the USB-C dongle isn't working. Network and other ports on the dongle work fine. I patched the Andromeda Windows 11 installation, updated the BIOS, video driver, Thunderbolt driver etc to the latest versions. The PC and radio run fine, just the USB-C video doesn't work.

I bought a different brand of USB-C > HDMI adapter at Best Buy and it doesn't work either.

Neither of the two adapters I now have work with the Andromeda, and interestingly enough the video doesn't work on my Windows 11 desktops with USB-C either. It feels like something Microsofty is afoot, but I have no immediate evidence of that.

Being the true glutton for punishment I am, I just ordered a USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter. Since USB-C video was originally designed for DisplayPort, (or so I'm told) I thought it might be worth a try. I'll find out later today, barring interruptions.

Google Remote Desktop works to mirror the Andromeda display to my main station PC, but since the Andromeda has a 1024 x 600 display it's a little fuzzy. Perfectly usable, just not "perfect". It would be nice to have the USB-C video working, and be able to render Thetis at a higher natural resolution.

Anyone else dealing with this, or dealing with it again after updates etc?

Thanks,
Jim N7CXI
va7qi

Postby va7qi » Sun May 28, 2023 5:09 am

Hi Jim,

I tried another adapter, too, but it did not work. Only when I updated the computer firmware and driver did it work (with the original adapter). Note that you have to go into the setup for the adapter, which should be a Windows application. Also, in Windows Settings, check that you have a second monitor and set it up as either duplicating the main monitor or as an extension.

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.
N7CXI

Postby N7CXI » Wed May 31, 2023 6:23 am

va7qi wrote:Hi Jim,

I tried another adapter, too, but it did not work. Only when I updated the computer firmware and driver did it work (with the original adapter). Note that you have to go into the setup for the adapter, which should be a Windows application. Also, in Windows Settings, check that you have a second monitor and set it up as either duplicating the main monitor or as an extension.

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.

Thanks, Erik. I ended up updating everything that could be updated, and it did eventually start working.
I'm not sure why the "Notify me" didn't work - sorry about the delay. I'll look at my profile.

Jim N7CXI

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”