14 Bit Card and 10 watt amp board Connections

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
Ken

14 Bit Card and 10 watt amp board Connections

Postby Ken » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:09 am

Hello,

Is there anyone who would like to share any info on this 14 Bit card along with the Amp board that has recently been sold?

I have an Anan 100 that I believe I probably could copy the connections but if someone would like to share and possibly start
a new topic on the manner, could be an interested topic!
Will need to know where is the best place to buy connecting cables too.

Perhaps share ideas and add pictures along the way.

I am thinking of placing the two boards in an aluminum box of sorts and adding a LDMOS of some kind.
Maybe even a built in PC and adding a monitor. Just thinking out loud and looking for idea at the moment.

Ken
n1gp

Re: 14 Bit Card and 10 watt amp board Connections

Postby n1gp » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:19 am

Hi Ken,

Your post reminded me of a post I saw on another forum about the 14 Bit card.
Check here: https://groups.io/g/apache-labs/topic/96319237#1651

-Rick / N1GP
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:14 pm

Assuming the boards remain the same size as legacy Hermes boards, these boards (Hermes, the Alex filter board, and the original Apollo PA board) were all designed to fit perfectly in Hammond 1455Q1601 series enclosures.

I've attached here a front panel drawing from way, way back during the original Hermes days. I can't tell you the new boards are dimensionally the same, but it's a good bet.

Not a lot of good info. survives on this, but I know the Hermes Lite crowd has made good use of the same Hammond enclosures and a quick Google search shows a lot of examples.
Attachments
Hermes_Hammond_Frontpanel_Cutouts_V2.pdf
(263.6 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Ken

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:19 pm

Hello,

First of all, thank you Scott for your info that you had given, you are appreciated.
Second, thank you Rick as well, however I think what Scott had given will lead you there as well. ( I Think! )

I say this because of what Scott had mentioned I had gone there and perhaps some other link either linked to what Scot had sent
or something of the sort anyway led me to your link that you had mentioned. Either way thank you both just the same!

I did not find what I was searching for, but it did broaden my ideas to continue to look some more with continuing to do so.

Edit: I just added this info...

(The picture of the 14 bit card along with the amp board does help and show some of the connections, but
it does not state what the connections are. I believe there are some lower voltages other then 12 volt dc that get gets connected
here and there, perhaps BIOS voltages, I really don't know.)

In my opinion it would be nice if something could get started here as mentioned to show all the connections and info on where
to purchase such cables that are needed. I have an Anan 100 that I might have to disassemble and find these connections and get the needed
info on what cables are needed.

I was just hoping someone might have already had this info and saving the troubles of the disassembling procedures!

Also as mentioned it would be nice for those who bought their boards could bring their ideas here to share.

By the way Scott, thank you the link to the en-closer for the 14 bit card as well.

Ken
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:40 pm

The schematic for the Hermes board is easily found right here on the forum. Just look in the schematics section. That will show you exactly what all those connections are.

You should ask Apache for the PA board schematic, and ask them for permission to publicly post it as well. Then we can post it here for everyone.
Ken

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:35 pm

Hello Scott,

Okay thanks, I was able to find a link to the 14 bit card and the the 10 watt board,
You yourself actually posted it!

The other link below the first is the 14 bit manual explaining all the jumpers and such.

So I am slowly finding my way through this.

There are some incidences that I am unsure of, as the 5 volts.
Do you know if there is 5 volts on the board when applying the 13.8 volts?

The manual speaks of an external 5 volts as well as internal, but I have discovered a small
board on the inside of my Anan 100 that has 12 volts going to it. On this small board
there is a 4 wire jumper/cable going to J10 that I believe is powering the 14 bit card along with
the 5 volts. (But Not 100% sure)

One more thing to mention, on the bottom of the 14 bit card the manual mentions
R102...
"If resistor R102 is removed from the bottom of the PCB then the Apache Labs power switch
may be installed."

From what I can see on on the 14 bit card that I had received, there is no resistor but a glob of solder
joining the connections together.

I email Apache Labs about the boards, and the answer I had gotten back on these boards are they are "Self Supported".

I am thinking there should be a dedication Post area for these boards where all the info is in one location.
Maybe there is, but it seems I have to search all over the place to find them?

As always thank you for your time and for your wealth of information. You have always been a great help to me.

https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2549

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-SVN/master/Hermes/Documentation/Hermes_User_Manual_V1.18.pdf

Ken
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:34 am

Ken,

Can you confirm that the 10W PA boards they are currently shipping are exactly the same as the old 10W PA boards they shipped with the ANAN-10 and 10E units? In other words the same as the schematic provided for those old units here on the forum?

With regard your power supply questions: the board was designed to allow a multitude of options with respect to power supplies. The ultimate reference is the schematic itself. The old Hermes documentation you found is the best there is and was used by a legion of original Hermes home-brewers. Check what it says against the schematic as it is not that clear at times. But the schematic will not fail you, it is correct.

There is also a lengthy thread on Hermes power configuration here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4406&p=22457

Also, perhaps you can tell us if the new boards account for any of the Protocol 2 issues discussed in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2354&p=9182

If not, then you might want to consider some mod's for better P2 performance.

Scott
Ken

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:19 pm

Hello Scott,

Anything particular you have in mind what to look for comparing the board and the schematics?

I don't mind taking the time comparing the schematic with the board but there is a lot to follow and of course I couldn't follow the traces per say, I can identify the components and the connections such as J3, J2, J8, J7, and of course the BNC connectors
J4, 5, and 6. I believe they align with the schematic accept what I had found below.

I did find for Q 1 and Q 2 on the schematics showing RD15HVF1 but the Mosfets that came with the board and they aren't installed
are RD16HHF1.

Also there were no heat sinks included either.

The copy right date on the board is ( 2012 ).

Is there anyway to add an image? (The Pa board) or/and (The transceiver board)

I am glad you had asked about the board verses the schematics, it is allowing me to get familiar with the board!

Ask away!
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:41 pm

Ken,

Don't go crazy checking everything. If the board is marked 2012 and everything generally lines up with the old schematic then that sounds like it's a match. It is interesting that they are populating the FETs differently.

Posting photos is easy! Just follow the directions here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2529

73!

Scott
Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:28 pm

Thanks Scott,

Yea, everything seems to correlate back to the schematic from what I have been looking at.

I haven't taken a pic of the transceiver board as of yet and at the moment I have placed it back into its
cover and placed it back into the box. Later I will edit and add it as well.

Ken
Attachments
10 Watt Pa.jpg
10 Watt Pa.jpg (190.14 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
Ken

Postby Ken » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:07 pm

Does anyone know what type of connector that is needed to connect to the 10E board for the RF out and the RF in on the Amplifier board?

I am thinking it might be the MHF4? I really don't know. Please see pic. Is any of these the correct ones?

Anyone have an idea where to buy. I was told do not buy from Amazon and maybe Ebay as they aren't as good.

Thank you,
Ken
WB4AM
Attachments
Micro Connector.jpg
Micro Connector.jpg (144.16 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:51 pm

I believe those are UMC connectors.

A Hermes bill-of-materials (BOM) can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2335
Ken

Postby Ken » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:22 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:I believe those are UMC connectors.

A Hermes bill-of-materials (BOM) can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2335

Thank you Scott for pointing me to the BOM file.

I could not find a cable assembly on the list, but I did find the UMC Emerson / Digitkey
pcb connector on there. After searching I found what I think I can order off of, but not 100% sure.

This is the link I had found and on page 4, I am going to take a chance and order a particular length that I think will work for my application.
https://www.belfuse.com/resources/catal ... atalog.pdf

I don't expect you to take a look, I just thought I should mention it for anyone who might be unsure as I am about some of the cables that are needed.

After I receive the cables and do a trial fit, I will report back.

Scott you have always been a tremendous help, I appreciate you Thank you.

Ken
WB4AM
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:52 am

Ken--I believe that UMC connectors are interoperable with U.FL connectors. U.FL cables are a dime a dozen on Amazon. I'd recommend you get some cheap cables off of Amazon for testing before dropping big bucks on a "serious" cable from a supplier like Johnson, Digi-Key, etc.

Just be careful you don't get a U.FL cable with a reverse SMA connector on the other end, those are very common for Wi-Fi antennas.

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”