Andromeda transceiver info

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
g0uut

Andromeda transceiver info

Postby g0uut » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:14 pm

hello
I am intersting to hear from who ever use the Andromeda transceiver G2 impression
about the hardware and how good it work before I made my order
vy 73 elan g0uut
Trucker

Re: Andromeda transceiver info

Postby Trucker » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:54 pm

Are you asking about the G2 Saturn with the front panel? It is very different from the Andromeda. The Andromeda is no longer in production. The current G2 Saturn with the front panel uses a Raspberry Pi CM4 module and is connected to the main board by a PCIe interface. The Andromeda connected by a regular network connection because it was using an Intel NUC mounted internally.
There are a few reviews here. But, there are several more on the Apache Labs Facebook page. If you use Facebook, you can join the Facebook group and see the reviews and comments by new G2 owners.
James
WD5GWY
g0uut

Postby g0uut » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:59 pm

hello James
sorry yes the Raspberry Pi CM4 module how this call now then g2 ?
not so clear how ever it look good I wonder if there any comment I didn't see any review on that on
73 elan g0uut
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:30 pm

Elan,
There are some posts in the G2 Saturn forum here. But, in the group on Facebook that I mentioned, there are several more owners of the G2 Saturn both with the front panel and without the front panel, posting there.
I imagine that many of the new owners are still trying to figure out all the different things needed to use the new G2 Saturn radios.
If you are familiar with Linux that can help you with learning to use the new radios.
If you haven't already done so, go to the Apache labs main website and download the manual for the G2 Saturn. It contains the information one needs to get a G2 Saturn up and running. Plus, there are links in the manual to more documentation for Raspbian Linux, that is used with the G2 Pi CM4 module. And also documentation for Thetis as well.
James
WD5GWY
g0uut

Postby g0uut » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:57 am

James
I am not in Facebook so I do not know I am looking on the one with knob button I think there was one YouTube of a guy in Sweden have it
it look great as well look like the company move a way from window platform and it fantastic Linux is the way to go
well I was hoping to get some info from some one who use one and see what and how is it that hard to use ?etc
okay thank you any way for that
vy 73 elan g0uut
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:50 am

Elan,
You can just ask Jim N7CXI, Sam SM3PZG, Erik VA7QI or user jvictor1.
They are here in the forum.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
g0uut

Postby g0uut » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:22 pm

DH1KLM wrote:Elan,
You can just ask Jim N7CXI, Sam SM3PZG, Erik VA7QI or user jvictor1.
They are here in the forum.

hello SIGI
yes thank you I think sm3pzg have YouTube on that
vy 73 tax elan g0uut/dl9fcc
wevets@gmail.com

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:36 am

I'm actually going to post about Andromeda.

I have had the unit for around a year. Generally happy with it except for one issue.

It overheats. The CPU gets terribly hot due to the finals and the radio has shut itself off multiple times. The cooling is simply inadequate. The radio gets burning hot to the touch - this while running a few watts doing FT8!

I did find a solution - that required major surgery. I cut a hole in the bottom of the radio the size of a 120mm fan. Mounted it inside the radio and it is now directly blowing on the finals. Now the case is luke warm - barely above ambient - running 4x the power on FT8 for hours! Likely it would be IMPROVED by cutting off all of the side slots in the lower chassis and 2/3 of the upper slots. Have the exhaust be in the final 1/3 near the CPU.

As it is - I'm seeing temps at 70C with the new setup - instead of 80-100 (where it finally shuts itself off).

73s' Steve KA6S

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”