black face G2

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
g0uut

black face G2

Postby g0uut » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:52 am

hello
a question on the g2 black face
I am looking to order it however since I do not have any window pc at the moment is there be any issue ?
or the g2 can work without any pc is that correct
look like the hardware is well made nice any one know as well .
vy 73 elan g0uut
KI4P

Re: black face G2

Postby KI4P » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 am

g0uut wrote:hello
a question on the g2 black face
I am looking to order it however since I do not have any window pc at the moment is there be any issue ?
or the g2 can work without any pc is that correct
look like the hardware is well made nice any one know as well .
vy 73 elan g0uut

Good morning
I have the G2 plane, works fine using the PI. A little cumbersome to maneuver ( to me) but works fine. A little knowledge of PI commands sure is and would be helpful. You will need a mouse, keyboard and monitor to use though. Hope that helps
Richard
Richard - KI4P
g0uut

Postby g0uut » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:27 pm

hello RICHARD
thank you what do you mean I need to know some command is there an icon that will open the software ?
vy 73 elan g0uut
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:35 pm

g0uut wrote:hello RICHARD
thank you what do you mean I need to know some command is there an icon that will open the software ?
vy 73 elan g0uut

Well, the G2 plain(no front) will need a monitor, a keyboard and mouse plugged in, screen will come on when you start radio. It is made to work with a computer, so if not using one you will need to turn off the program that works with computer to operate it stand alone. You need to know or learn some raspberry PI commands, to operate stand alone. Maybe someone else can explain it better.
Richard
Richard - KI4P
g0uut

Postby g0uut » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:45 am

okay I see what you mean I may have to buy a win laptop install Thetis it will be much easy
I wonder if you can do some video of your nice G2 no need to talk if you dont like to just to see how it work
what laptop you have and win11??
thank you
elan g0uut
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:47 pm

g0uut wrote:okay I see what you mean I may have to buy a win laptop install Thetis it will be much easy
I wonder if you can do some video of your nice G2 no need to talk if you dont like to just to see how it work
what laptop you have and win11??
thank you
elan g0uut

I think you like it. A little learning curve but works nice, a short video, still a work in progress on appearance, computer is a i5 desktop for now. Tried video but iPhone saved in wrong format
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 5264 times
Richard - KI4P
g0uut

Postby g0uut » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:13 pm

wowww Richard look great fro sure thank you for that nice pic what mic you using ?
protocol 2 ? Thetis correct ?
well I am looking to order gaming laptop i9 they in good price now
many thanks for that again vy 73 enjoy elan g0uut
g0uut

Postby g0uut » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:15 pm

btw Richard your AGC is way to high if you like a nice quit rx put it around the 65 or 62 put AF up
the rx will be like vhf rx
elan g0uut
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:02 pm

g0uut wrote:btw Richard your AGC is way to high if you like a nice quit rx put it around the 65 or 62 put AF up
elan g0uut

Thanks! That's something I'm trying to learn, to get it better. Not much info, video wise to go on. Straight up guys I'm more of an appliance operator. But try to get better. Any help appreciated
Richard - KI4P
RobB

Postby RobB » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:53 pm

KI4P wrote:
g0uut wrote:btw Richard your AGC is way to high if you like a nice quit rx put it around the 65 or 62 put AF up
elan g0uut

Thanks! That's something I'm trying to learn, to get it better. Not much info, video wise to go on. Straight up guys I'm more of an appliance operator. But try to get better. Any help appreciated

IMHO none of the Apache Labs radios will be a good fit with an "appliance" operator. They are very much a tinkerers radio, requiring a certain amount of dedication and perseverance to master. That said if you invest the time and effort you will be greatly rewarded with features such as the almost magic NR2 noise reduction and Pure signal.

The hardware is very good but the all important software side (OpenHPSDR/Thetis) is a sprawling second hand son of a thousand fathers and badly in need of a focussed rewrite or complete replacement which would be a huge task that no one at present is prepared to commit to. Such is life with open source projects where advancements greatly out pace the support and contributions are added ad hoc.

Before committing to buy, I suggest you take a good look at the forum posts to see the sorts of operational issues and complexities discussed here. Which feeds into the documentation. The downloadable user manuals are dated, incomplete and the level of detail is cursory at best but will at least get you going with a basic setup. To go beyond the basic will require researching the forums which can be a time consuming endeavour. Perhaps the greatest irony is the Apache Labs Software section on their web page which has no content what so ever.
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:44 am

Well, thank you Rob, im coming along nicely, have all working pretty much, have pure signal doing fine. the agc seems to be doing fine also, got the transmit profile setup fine, used my flex eq setting as a starting point and fine tuned from there, worked great, still a few little bumps in the road. your right on the manual, lots of info in there but do run across some stuff that needs a little more. luckily, there is about 3 of us in our talk group on 3664 that has bought the Anans, 2 of us the G2 and one that probably got the last 7000, and one more that kinda of got us interested in this route, so we are doing good and helping each other, i am usually more criticle of myself than should be, been on a flex for 4 years, so im not new to the sdr world, just to this level. trying to learn the PA settings stuff now and playing with that, watched Richie video and it helped. still a work in progress, BUT, dont regret buying it at all, had issue at first but it was a weird issue, all straight now. thanks again and have a nice night
Richard - KI4P

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”