Anan-10 No Transmit

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
N0BGS

Anan-10 No Transmit

Postby N0BGS » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:46 am

Pretty sure my Anan-10 hates me.

I've been trying to troubleshoot why the SWR meter in Thetis gives completely wild readings like 63:1 or 17:1 on transmit while my LP-100A says things are perfectly fine. I get these readings whether I'm using 10 watts or 2 watts out.

Logically, the equipment is set up like so:

Anan-10 --> HLA-305 Amp --> LP-100A --> AT-Auto Tuner -->Loop antenna

I get the wild SWR readings regardless of whether the amp is inline or bypassed. And everything has been working fine….until today.

As I recall, on the first 10E I had, both of the mini coax cables from the PA board had ferrites on them. My 10 only had one on the cable that goes from J28 to J2. Today, I put a ferrite on the coax that connects from J29 to J3 reasoning that perhaps RF was getting into one of the components on transmit and causing the wild SWR readings.

Anan10_Wiring.PNG
Anan10_Wiring.PNG (338.44 KiB) Viewed 11794 times

After completing the nightmare that is the reassembling of this radio, I no longer had any transmit at all. I took it all apart again (gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) and removed the ferrite I had added to the coax and put it all back together again.

NO TRANSMIT…grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

As of this writing that’s the way it remains. No transmit. Double and triple checked all connections. All are tight. I fail to see how briefly adding a ferrite resulted in permanently damaging the PA board but that appears to be what may have happened.

All thoughts, opinions and insults will be happily received.

--Kurt

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”