G2 Power On and Off Procedure

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
KC2QMA

G2 Power On and Off Procedure

Postby KC2QMA » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:03 am

With the G2 radios there is a recommended power On/Off procedure to avoid data loss/corruption.

Here are the proper steps to power On and Off your G2 radio.

To power On the G2:
-First turn on your DC power supply.
-Quick Press the power button on G2 radio and wait for light to turn RED.
Once the light is RED the G2 is ready for operation.

To power Off the G2:
-Quick press power button on G2 and wait for light to go from Red to White.
-Once the light is White then Long press the power button on the G2 to shut radio hardware down.
Important! Remember to turn off your DC power supply when the radio is not in use. (Or the G2’s internal power supply will overheat due to the internal fan in the G2 not running when radio is in Off/Standby mode)

Follow these steps and you should have years of enjoyment with you new G2 Radio

Last edited by KC2QMA on Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
oe3ide

Re: G2 Power On and Off Procedure

Postby oe3ide » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:52 am

Thanks John for sharing this information!

Although this whole design is not really conducive to easy remote operation, which is advertised on the Apache Labs website.

I'll get a few 7000 or 8000s and put them in stock. :D

73 de Ernst, OE3IDE
Roger GT

Postby Roger GT » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:47 am

KC2QMA wrote:With the G2 radios there is a recommended power On/Off procedure to avoid data loss/corruption.

Here are the proper steps to power On and Off your G2 radio.

To power Off the G2:
-Quick press power button on G2 and wait for light to go from Red to White.
-Once the light is White then Long press the power button on the G2 to shut radio hardware down.
Important! Remember to turn off your DC power supply when the radio is not in use. (Or the G2’s internal power supply will overheat due to the internal fan in the G2 not running when radio is in Off/Standby mode)

Follow these steps and you should have years of enjoyment with you new G2 Radio

Switching off doesn't work the same way for me.
I pressed the power button various times and waited until the LED changed from red to white. That's not the case for me. After a certain time, the G2 switches off, the red LED is off but the fan is still running.
Vy 73 Roger DL2YDP
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:17 pm

WOW! first ive heard of turning power supply off, glad i seen these post, always left mine on. looks like power button would kill all. oh well as long as i know. Thanks for the question.
Richard
Richard - KI4P
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:16 pm

KC2QMA wrote:Important! Remember to turn off your DC power supply when the radio is not in use. (Or the G2’s internal power supply will overheat due to the internal fan in the G2 not running when radio is in Off/Standby mode)

Are you sure about this? Did you read this somewhere else or have you experienced it personally?
dl4zbg

Postby dl4zbg » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:15 pm

Hello,

my G2 Saturn with display (mostly running piHPSDR) does behave exactily as described in the manualin terms on power off behaviour.

- I remember one single event where the system got hot after shutdown. But this was before I made the Firmeware Update and changed some Pi startup setting. This never happened again.
- I was able to locate the reason for my auto resatrt problem. It was an adapter HDMI-> display port on HDMI1. Unplugged it and never had similar issues again.

1)shutdown piHPSDR or p2app and piOS
2) when you see the cursor in the left upper corner blinking, wait until the screen is completely off
3) then press power button (>3s) until everything is off and quiet. The power LED has only one clour (red)!

Andromeda handling is exactly the same. No need to remove 13.8V.

Volker
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:15 pm

Do you recall the details of changing the Pi startup setting?

73 Torrey N9PY
WM7C

Postby WM7C » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:26 pm

KC2QMA wrote:Important! Remember to turn off your DC power supply when the radio is not in use. (Or the G2’s internal power supply will overheat due to the internal fan in the G2 not running when radio is in Off/Standby mode)

There is nothing in the official manual about turning off your DC power supply.

https://apache-labs.com/download_file.p ... ds_id=1023
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:29 pm

WM7C wrote:

There is nothing in the official manual about turning off your DC power supply.

https://apache-labs.com/download_file.p ... ds_id=1023

This is the procedure that I have been using with my G2 100 No screen.

Now of course if you have a G2 with a screen you can use your mouse and shut down Linux in your Ra Pi and then press the power button to turn the radio off.
The reason for this shutdown procedure is to avoid data loss or data corruption.

Just like a typical PC you wouldn't just unplug the computer while its still in use that’s why windows has the “Shutdown” option in the start menu, it’s to avoid data loss or data corruption.

As far as the power supply I found that after I turn the radio completely off and leave my power supply on there are still some components inside the radio that will get hot, so I also shut off my power supply when the radio is NOT in use.

You are free to shutdown you radio as you see fit but keep in mind it is possible to damage the data on the Ra Pi in your radio if you Cold Cut the power off.

KI4P

Postby KI4P » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:02 am

and sometimes the single click turns the whole thing off, and you think, is it going to start right next time! :D
Richard - KI4P
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:00 am

KI4P wrote:and sometimes the single click turns the whole thing off, and you think, is it going to start right next time! :D

Have the G2 for months now and works perfect every time! :D
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:25 pm

KC2QMA wrote:
KI4P wrote:and sometimes the single click turns the whole thing off, and you think, is it going to start right next time! :D

Have the G2 for months now and works perfect every time! :D

Well imagine that.
Richard - KI4P

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”