G2 Raspberry Pi5

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
IK2LRN

G2 Raspberry Pi5

Postby IK2LRN » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:42 pm

Hi, i would like to know when it will be available G2 with Raspberry Pi5. I suppose that PiHPSDR and applications will run better.
Luca IK2LRN
w-u-2-o

Re: G2 Raspberry Pi5

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:27 pm

The G2 uses a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4), not a Pi 4. The CM4 did not come out until until 16 months after the Pi 4. Thus it will likely be some time before they produce a "CM5".

If you are both adventurous and knowledgeable about this sort of thing there are already many alternatives to the CM4 on the market:

https://community.twistedfields.com/t/alternative-cm4-modules/334

The G2 would almost certainly benefit from some extra processing power, particularly if you are a piHPSDR user.
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:04 am

Will changing the Pi4 to Pi5 just be a matter of just swapping boards. Just unplug and swap boards?
I understand there is the software installation part of the swap but just wanted to understand how one would upgrade to Pi5 computer.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 am

It's probably not a good idea to call it a "Pi4". That is a different product. It is a CM4. If and when the Pi Foundation ever gets around to offering a CM5 it is very likely it will be physically compatible and it would be just a board swap. Learn more about the CM4 here:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/compute-module-4

The more difficult parts of the board swap will be disassembling the G2 to get to the board, and of course building the new operating system for the new board.

People who are interested in this sort of thing would do well to purchase a separate CM4 for learning, practice and experimentation. Don't forget to order the "essential extras" as without them the CM4 is pretty useless. I recommend the version with maximum memory and WiFi:

https://www.pishop.us/product/raspberry-pi-compute-module-4-wireless-8gb-32gb-cm4108032/
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:14 pm

There are never any guarantees what you get in the Raspberry pi family. No previous pi product had PCI Express, so making Saturn use a Raspberry pi was a late change. BUT it looks likely that there will be a compute module 5; and having sold the benefits of a PCI express interface, it's unlikely it would be removed.

As an when it does come out, I will test whether it works. If its compatible, and we can make it work OK, then we'll post the necessary software changes.... which could well be "no change".
Laurence Barker G8NJJ

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”