BCD output from OC interface

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
radiotx

BCD output from OC interface

Postby radiotx » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:12 pm

Is it possible to output BCD directly from the OC port? I am trying to send the band data to an antenna switch mounted at my tower.

Thanks and 73!
KI5RLR
Joe

Re: BCD output from OC interface

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:56 pm

You can’t directly supply a bcd “high” output, but I did make a small interface that fit in a db9 enclosure that I use for my amplifier band “bcd” interface. It works very well. You may have another approach, hope this helps. Please check out this posting here from some time back.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3692&hilit=WD5Y

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:03 pm

Joe wrote:You can’t directly supply a bcd “high” output, but I did make a small interface that fit in a db9 enclosure that I use for my amplifier band “bcd” interface. It works very well. You may have another approach, hope this helps. Please check out this posting here from some time back.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y

Wow, that is impressive. You don't happen to sell them do you? :)
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:19 am

It's really not that difficult.

There are lots of handy products to add some pull-up resistors to a DE9 connector.

See also this topic: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4507&p=23384
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:27 am

w-u-2-o wrote:It's really not that difficult.

There are lots of handy products to add some pull-up resistors to a DE9 connector.

See also this topic: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4507&p=23384

Thanks, that thread is informative... but unfortunately not enough (for me) to get over the hump. :?

For starters, I really should state what my goal is. I am attempting to send BCD to my 4o3a 'Antenna Genius' 8x2 switch using a 5C cable. Do I need to 'inject' +12VDC into this circuit? Or do I only need to add a resistor between each OC pin and BCD 'Band' wire (Band A, B, C, D) in order to send the signal to the switch?

From the AG2 manual:
Two DE-15 VGA-type for users opting for BCD or +12 VDC pin-to-port control in lieu of network control, for controlling standard radios as Yaesu, Elecraft etc. These are left unconnected if you are using network control (most FlexRadio equipped stations won’t use these ports)

AG2_BCD.JPG
AG2_BCD.JPG (175.08 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:28 pm

radiotx wrote: Thanks, that thread is informative... but unfortunately not enough (for me) to get over the hump. :?

For starters, I really should state what my goal is. I am attempting to send BCD to my 4o3a 'Antenna Genius' 8x2 switch using a 5C cable. Do I need to 'inject' +12VDC into this circuit? Or do I only need to add a resistor between each OC pin and BCD 'Band' wire (Band A, B, C, D) in order to send the signal to the switch?

You might find the explanation of how the OC interface works at this topic valuable as well:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4961&p=28300

To double down on that, I'm going to guess you are not familiar with the concept of a "pull-up resistor"?

From this excellent Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull-up_resistor) we have this figure:

Pullup_Resistor.png
Pullup_Resistor.png (5.34 KiB) Viewed 1772 times

I've added the red dot. The red dot represents the OC output pin on the ANAN (BTW, which ANAN are you using?). The "logic gate" represents your Antenna Genius.

Under conditions where you have programmed an "X" into a checkbox in setup, that switch is closed and the output will be at ground potential, i.e. a logic 0. When the checkbox in Thetis setup is not checked that switch is open and the voltage that appears on the pin is whatever voltage you've attached to the other side of the resistor, i.e. a logic 1. In this case you need that voltage to be 12VDC for the Antenna Genius. If you or the device you are interfacing with do not provide a pull-up to some voltage then the output will be "floating" and there will be no voltage, not even 0 volts (ground) on that pin.

The most handy situation is where the pull-ups are built into the device you are controlling. You can test this by putting a voltmeter on the Antenna Genius BCD input pins. If it reads 12VDC then you can just wire direct with no pull-up resistors. I suspect this is not the case, though.

If you look at Joe's schematic, in your application you only need the 3.3K resistors and a source of 12VDC. You can leave out all the other resistors because you do not need adjustable pull-up voltage.
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:45 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:You might find the explanation of how the OC interface works at this topic valuable as well:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4961&p=28300

To double down on that, I'm going to guess you are not familiar with the concept of a "pull-up resistor"?

Good guess.

w-u-2-o wrote:From this excellent Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull-up_resistor) we have this figure:

Pullup_Resistor.png

I've added the red dot. The red dot represents the OC output pin on the ANAN (BTW, which ANAN are you using?). The "logic gate" represents your Antenna Genius.

I am using the G2.
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:18 pm

Joe wrote:You can’t directly supply a bcd “high” output, but I did make a small interface that fit in a db9 enclosure that I use for my amplifier band “bcd” interface. It works very well. You may have another approach, hope this helps. Please check out this posting here from some time back.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y

Joe - Do you have any additional pictures showing exactly how everything is connected? Thx
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:28 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:If you look at Joe's schematic, in your application you only need the 3.3K resistors and a source of 12VDC. You can leave out all the other resistors because you do not need adjustable pull-up voltage.

In my case, would the 3.3K resistors attach to the pins for Bands A, B, C, D, and RF Ground? Where would the +12VDC and -12VDC connect? The antenna switch has about a 125' of wire from the back of the ANAN G2 OC port and the switch input.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:54 pm

ANAN pin 9 to AG pin 11
ANAN pin 8 to AG pin 12
ANAN pin 7 to AG pin 13
ANAN pin 6 to AG pin 14
ANAN pin 1 to AG pin 15

On each of the four "band" lines connect a pull-up resistor to +12VDC. This can be done at the ANAN end or the AG end.
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:25 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:ANAN pin 9 to AG pin 11
ANAN pin 8 to AG pin 12
ANAN pin 7 to AG pin 13
ANAN pin 6 to AG pin 14
ANAN pin 1 to AG pin 15

On each of the four "band" lines connect a pull-up resistor to +12VDC. This can be done at the ANAN end or the AG end.

I appreciate you explaining all of this. Maybe if I saw one in person, or some good photos of one, I would attempt it.

Is there anything available that will simply provide the output that is required to get BCD from the ANAN to an external device, such as my AG?

Thanks
Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:41 pm

I’m sorry for replying so late. The schematic is at the bottom of the posting, hopefully that helps but honestly as Scott mentioned the fixed resistors would be an easier route. I would fuse the circuit just for added protection. I had to go back into that small db9 connector later for another output to my MFJ-998 ( tune signal) and it is a tight fit for sure. It is not much to the circuit, I just fit it all in the db9. I hope you get it all sorted out as the bcd out of the rig really helps with station control.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:16 pm

radiotx wrote:
ANAN pin 8 to AG pin 12
ANAN pin 7 to AG pin 13
ANAN pin 6 to AG pin 14
ANAN pin 1 to AG pin 15

I appreciate you explaining all of this. Maybe if I saw one in person, or some good photos of one, I would attempt it.

Is there anything available that will simply provide the output that is required to get BCD from the ANAN to an external device, such as my AG?

Thanks
Building a cable with four resistors is literally the simplest solution. Hell, if you use things like this you could even do it with just a screwdriver and a wire nut.

You could buy this but it is really expensive.
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:56 am

w-u-2-o wrote:Building a cable with four resistors is literally the simplest solution. Hell, if you use things like this you could even do it with just a screwdriver and a wire nut.

If anyone has built one of these simple cables (or used a breakout board and wire nuts) and would be willing to share some photos, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:55 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
radiotx wrote:
ANAN pin 8 to AG pin 12
ANAN pin 7 to AG pin 13
ANAN pin 6 to AG pin 14
ANAN pin 1 to AG pin 15

Thanks
Building a cable with four resistors is literally the simplest solution. Hell, if you use things like this you could even do it with just a screwdriver and a wire nut.

You could buy this but it is really expensive.

I decided to build something to test the OC connector, to see if I can figure out how to wire the BCD out. I am using some cheap led lights with the resistors already wired in.

I have the (+) side of leds connected to the (+) side of a barrel connector... where the 12VDC will feed from. The (-) sides of the leds are connected to DB9 breakout terminals 1-4.

Should the (-) side of the barrel connector be attached to the #5 (com) of the DB9 breakout??

PXL_20240129_214429028.jpg
PXL_20240129_214429028.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 1360 times

PXL_20240129_214417339.jpg
PXL_20240129_214417339.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 1360 times

PXL_20240129_214321941.jpg
PXL_20240129_214321941.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 1360 times
radiotx

Postby radiotx » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:50 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:You could buy this but it is really expensive.

I went with the B2BCD. While it cost nearly $200, it works like a champ and it works with my other radios CI-V, BCD, CAT without the need for further custom cabling.

KI5RLR

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”