Usefulness of A-10 TAPR upgrade/accessories?

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
k3rw

Usefulness of A-10 TAPR upgrade/accessories?

Postby k3rw » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:09 am

I am researching a couple of A-10 Hermes upgrades (I have a A-10E), and came across two from TAPR. One is the Pure Signal T/R switch for Pure Signal, and the other is a breakout board for the ribbon connector. TAPR calls this the Hermes J16 breakout board.

TAPR T/R Switch

https://tapr.org/product/tr-plus-transm ... re-signal/

TAPR J16 Breakout Board

https://tapr.org/product/hermes-j16-breakout-board/

--

First, I'm curious if anyone is using either of these--how is your experience? Worthy upgrade(s)? Better one out there I haven't found yet? Build your own instead? :D I had considered just pulling a ribbon cable into a breakout box, but seems they already did that.

Of the TAPR T/R Switch, I am curious

1) Why is this necessary at all? Doesn't the A-10 already have the T/R switching internally? Isn't that enough?
2) Does this require drilling into the case to fit it (looks like it might)?

Of the TAPR J16 Board:

1) Does their design preclude use of any of the useful connectors? (it seems to prevent access to many of them)
2) Should this be shielded? (it looks bare)

Thanks! 73 de Greg, K3RW/KH7
w-u-2-o

Re: Usefulness of A-10 TAPR upgrade/accessories?

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:00 am

Wow, I'm surprised these can still be purchased!

I don't have an ANAN-10, but I do have a 100D and it also required a similar modification for good PureSignal performance. I built my own version.

IMHO the TR-Plus is a worthy accessory. It's definitely necessary for PureSignal because the older designs, i.e. 100D or prior, and older 200Ds, did not have a switched feedback path to the RX input. The RX input must be connected to the ANT during receive and to the output of the coupler/sampler during TX.

AFAIK the TR-Plus is not intended for internal mounting. Whether you use that or build your own, it is strongly recommended to put it in a metal, shielded enclosure for best performance.

As for the J16 breakout board, IMHO it is not worth it. Take that $35 and spend it (and about $60 more ;) ) on a good USB audio interface for your PC and run all the audio through that. See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4923

With a USB to serial converter (or an actual serial port) you can also add any PTT switches directly to the PC, leaving Ethernet as the only non-RF connection to the ANAN.
k3rw

Postby k3rw » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:49 am

w-u-2-o wrote:Wow, I'm surprised these can still be purchased!

I don't have an ANAN-10, but I do have a 100D and it also required a similar modification for good PureSignal performance. I built my own version.

IMHO the TR-Plus is a worthy accessory. It's definitely necessary for PureSignal because the older designs, i.e. 100D or prior, and older 200Ds, did not have a switched feedback path to the RX input. The RX input must be connected to the ANT during receive and to the output of the coupler/sampler during TX.

AFAIK the TR-Plus is not intended for internal mounting. Whether you use that or build your own, it is strongly recommended to put it in a metal, shielded enclosure for best performance.

As for the J16 breakout board, IMHO it is not worth it. Take that $35 and spend it (and about $60 more ;) ) on a good USB audio interface for your PC and run all the audio through that. See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4923

With a USB to serial converter (or an actual serial port) you can also add any PTT switches directly to the PC, leaving Ethernet as the only non-RF connection to the ANAN.

Sounds like a worthy addition to the 10E. How do I know if my 200D is one of those that does not have a switched feedback path (serial #, some other way?)?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:24 am

k3rw wrote: Sounds like a worthy addition to the 10E. How do I know if my 200D is one of those that does not have a switched feedback path (serial #, some other way?)?

See viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2387&p=2557

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”