Anan-G2 Rear Panel Ports/Connectors

A place for Apache HARDWARE discussions, from bare boards to the latest hardware. SOFTWARE discussions belong in the SOFTWARE sub-forums.
Rob52

Anan-G2 Rear Panel Ports/Connectors

Postby Rob52 » Tue May 09, 2023 7:03 pm

I’m hoping someone can provide an answer here.
I cannot clearly see from the Anan G2 photo of the rear panel if the XLR mini port is a male or female. I would think it would be a female but sort if looks like a male XLR mini port. Maybe someone can see it more clearly than myself.
Thanks
K1SR
Rob
Rob
K1SR
w-u-2-o

Re: Anan-G2 Rear Panel Ports/Connectors

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue May 09, 2023 7:20 pm

The current photos probably can't be trusted 100%. It's a good bet that final connector provisions will change on the production units.
Rob52

Postby Rob52 » Tue May 09, 2023 9:09 pm

You’re probably correct Scott. My thinking was that it would most likely be female XLR mini. I say that because most if not all audio interfaces use a female type connector whether it’s a XLR, 1/4” inch TPS or 1/8 inch TPS. I was just trying to look ahead to have everything I need here in the shack before the radio arrives.
Thanks Scott.
K1SR
Rob
Rob
K1SR
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Tue May 23, 2023 10:17 am

Rob52 wrote:You’re probably correct Scott. My thinking was that it would most likely be female XLR mini. I say that because most if not all audio interfaces use a female type connector whether it’s a XLR, 1/4” inch TPS or 1/8 inch TPS. I was just trying to look ahead to have everything I need here in the shack before the radio arrives.
Thanks Scott.
K1SR
Rob

Yes I hope we can get conformation on all the I/O connectors before they start to ship so we can have all the cables and connectors we need when the radio arrives.
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Tue May 23, 2023 11:24 pm

Just in case they haven't decided on the Mic input connector a XLR/1/4”TRS combo jack would be the best and the most compatible with most users. This is a panel mount type and will accept a standard XLR connector and a 1/4" TRS plug.
Here is a picture of an example:

1.jpg
1.jpg (65.25 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Wed May 24, 2023 2:43 pm

I'll pontificate: to make best use of that series jack (whether standard or mini XLR) requires passing a screw through the panel to avoid the so-called "Pin 1 Problem." It's almost certain that PCB-mount jacks will be used.

Although difficult to see, Neutrik provides a conductive strap between the screw hole and Pin 1. The jack can't simply be pressed up against the enclosure. Pin 1 must bond directly to the chassis and not indirectly via a PC board connection to the chassis as is common with some pro audio gear.

Of course, it does no good to bond to the chassis if cabinet paint is present under the screw head. Star lock washers can be used on either side of the enclosure panel to assist with bonding.

Paul, W9AC
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Fri May 26, 2023 11:51 am

w9ac wrote:I'll pontificate: to make best use of that series jack (whether standard or mini XLR) requires passing a screw through the panel to avoid the so-called "Pin 1 Problem." It's almost certain that PCB-mount jacks will be used.

Although difficult to see, Neutrik provides a conductive strap between the screw hole and Pin 1. The jack can't simply be pressed up against the enclosure. Pin 1 must bond directly to the chassis and not indirectly via a PC board connection to the chassis as is common with some pro audio gear.

Of course, it does no good to bond to the chassis if cabinet paint is present under the screw head. Star lock washers can be used on either side of the enclosure panel to assist with bonding.

Paul, W9AC

Hello Paul, If you look at the data sheet for this connector it looks like the housing is fully isolated and made of plastic for this model. However they do provide an optional pin for GND that is for the XLR locking tab Also if you look at the Saturn board it looks like J56 is the 3pin header for the balanced mic input. So I would guess they will have to make a shielded cable connector from J56 on the board to the XLR panel connector.
NCJ6FI-S (2).jpg
NCJ6FI-S (2).jpg (57.03 KiB) Viewed 2231 times

Now this is all speculation as none of us have actually seen the final product but I do look forward to playing with a new radio :)
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Sat May 27, 2023 1:56 pm

"However they do provide an optional pin for GND that is for the XLR locking tab."

Although not clearly seen in Neutrik's PDF datasheet, the optional ground pin connects to a thin metal strap. The other end of the strap is formed into the mounting hole of the plastic XLR enclosure. As a panel screw is inserted into the hole, the threads bind with the strap, forming a Pin 1 to chassis bond.

That model connector only makes sense when the XLR is mounted onto the PC board in a so-called "no wires" design. But if Saturn is using a short audio jumper cable between the XLR and the circuit board, then a traditional XLR panel jack would result in a much better PIN 1 bond to the panel.

If/when detailed Saturn photos become available, I would like to see an image of the XLR mounting scheme.

Paul, W9AC

Return to “Apache-specific Hardware Discussions”