Important Linux Skills for G2 owners

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
w-u-2-o

Important Linux Skills for G2 owners

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:08 pm

I don't have a G2 so I don't really have a dog in this fight. Nevertheless, reading many of the early posts about the G2, it's clear that they are not all being set up for appliance-like reliability and simplicity on delivery. To that end, below is a suggested list of Linux skills that G2 owners, current or potential, would benefit from having as part of their information technology skillset.

Note that it is not my intent to become a teacher of Linux skills. Linux how-to's are very well documented on the internet, especially where the Raspberry Pi flavor of Linux (Raspian) is concerned. YouTube, Google, Bing, and other internet search engines are your friends. This is just a guide to things it would be good to search out, learn and know.

- How to use the standard Raspbian desktop environment, which is LXDE
- An understanding of the Linux directory structure (stuff like /etc, /var, /home, etc.)
- How to bring up a standard Linux terminal (aka command or tty) window
- Basic Linux command line syntax, e.g. how to change directories, get directory listings, move/copy/delete files, see what tasks are running and how to kill them, etc.
- How to use the sudo command to perform admin tasks
- How to install and use basic text editors; it's very common to have to edit configuration files in the OS (nano is my favorite, other common choices are emacs, vim, vi, etc.)
- How to make proper desktop shortcuts
- How to configure app's to start at boot, and how to undo those settings
- How to change the network configurations (IP addresses, etc.) of both the GigE and WiFi interfaces
- For non-front panel units that you wish to remain headless (no monitor/keyboard/mouse), how to enable SSH and then make and use an SSH terminal connection from another PC
- How to update the operating system
- How to roll back the update if it breaks something
- How to install/update app's, and roll them back if necessary
- How to download, make (compile) and install piPHSDR and other openHPSDR unique software

I'm probably missing a few things, but those are the basics.
Trucker

Re: Important Linux Skills for G2 owners

Postby Trucker » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:04 pm

Thanks for posting Scott. I'm sure this will help others like myself who aren't that conversant with the Linux environment. I have a V1 controller that I have tried to become more familiar with the Raspbian desktop. It came as an extra with my 8000DLE. ( previous owner bought it new and never used it) I have used it with my 8000DLE. But, don't care that much for the interface.
I am still on the fence about getting a Saturn.
James
WD5GWY
KI4P

Postby KI4P » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:46 am

I agree that it would be very beneficial, after receiving my G2 (no front)and trying to use it or at least look at it I felt lost as a ball in high weeds. Looking for the pihpsdr icon, not there, looking for the apps to change mic input, didn't see them either, didn't even know how to start from a command line, so a little PI knowledge will go a long way.
Richard
Richard - KI4P
DL1OF

Postby DL1OF » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:26 pm

For those of you who prefer to see how the Linux terminal works instead of reading all that in wikis or forums I can recommend the videos of Joe Collins which give a first insight to the Linux World.

https://www.youtube.com/@EzeeLinux/search?query=bash
WT4DX

Postby WT4DX » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:41 pm

Is there an actual distro within the G2, or just a desktop environment?

Tem
WT4DX
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:35 pm

WT4DX wrote:Is there an actual distro within the G2, or just a desktop environment?

Tem
WT4DX

Yes, it's called Raspbian Linux. It is designed specifically for the Raspberry Pi mini computers.
James
WD5GWY

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”