Saturn G2 Suggestion for Developers

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
N4QNT

Saturn G2 Suggestion for Developers

Postby N4QNT » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:37 am

So now that the new Saturn G2 is rolling out, maybe the powers to be can come to terms to move forward with Thetis with any future upgrade to solve any timing conflicts and such with the current code and tweaks, for anything new for this platform and releases can be called THETIS G2 1.0 Beta... And for any radio older MKII MKII 1/2 and MKIII use the current Thetis 2.9.08/Richie

Art N4QNT 73'
oe3ide

Re: Saturn G2 Suggestion for Developers

Postby oe3ide » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:26 pm

N4QNT wrote:So now that the new Saturn G2 is rolling out, maybe the powers to be can come to terms to move forward with Thetis with any future upgrade to solve any timing conflicts and such with the current code and tweaks, for anything new for this platform and releases can be called THETIS G2 1.0 Beta... And for any radio older MKII MKII 1/2 and MKIII use the current Thetis 2.9.08/Richie

Art N4QNT 73'

AFAIK 2.10.0 from TAPR is supporting the G2 and it is based on Richie's latest 2.9.0.8. I don't think it is a good idea to split the versions.
Only my 2 cents...

73 de Ernst
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:42 pm

I agree Art since all of the older radios are now discontinued it's time to move on and focus on the G2 radios and update software to make the most of the new platform.

I'm not against new updates for the older radios and I think continued support for the older radios is a good thing but I think a G2 specific code base should be separate from the old radios. This will also make it easier for user as well!
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:28 pm

Honestly, as long as it's named Thetis, it shouldn't need a separate designation. It supports multiple models ( in the hardware drop down selection box) and configures many things accordingly. The older model radios require some calibration ( for the PA and a couple of other things). But, beyond that, major differences are specific to the hardware (Raspberry Pi CM4 module in the G2 radios) and may have differences in the FPGA code.
Announcements for updates to Thetis, usually include a list of bug fixes and improvements that may effect particular models of Anan radios. I really don't see where a separate designation would help. Now, if it is a completely new application that makes remote operation for the new G2 Saturn radios, then that would be different. According to Laurance the radios are capable of remote operation using a thin client. All it needs is someone with the smarts and desire to create it. And, hopefully, be willing to share it.
James
WD5GWY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:20 pm

KC2QMA wrote:I agree Art since all of the older radios are now discontinued it's time to move on and focus on the G2 radios and update software to make the most of the new platform.

I'm not against new updates for the older radios and I think continued support for the older radios is a good thing but I think a G2 specific code base should be separate from the old radios. This will also make it easier for user as well!

This is not a good idea.

We've been down this road once before, when P2 firmware did not work well on some of the older hardware. Thetis was only supporting P2, so everyone stuck on P1 was forever stuck with PowerSDR. The developer community did not want to support maintaining and improving two clients, just supporting Thetis was quite enough work. Ultimately P1 support was added to Thetis and the problem was solved that way.

Also, consider that it's very likely that there are many, many more Hermes, ANAN-10, 100, 100D, 200D, 8000, 7000 and Andromedas put together than there will probably ever be G2's. It just doesn't make sense to leave the majority of the community behind.

It would have been vastly better to see a lot more beta testing of Thetis and G2's prior to Apache shipping. Alas, that did not happen and so we are in an effective beta period for the G2 hardware, firmware, middleware and Thetis. Laurence is on holiday, Richie on an extended hiatus, not sure what the other dev's are up to, but the number and type of problems currently being experienced by G2 users are, IMHO, not nearly as bad as I thought they were going to be. The Thetis-related challenges can be ticked off on the fingers of one hand:

- MON audio problems
- RX1/RX2 audio initialization problems
- CW QSK problems (might also involve p2app)
- Bandstack problems (apparently a problem for everyone)

Am I missing any? That's hardly a train wreck. No need to have a knee jerk reaction to the effect of "Let's have a G2 unique build of Thetis." All this needs is some concentrated developer action.

G2 users also need to become Linux-savvy, as clearly the Pi is not an appliance.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:31 pm

Well stated Scott!
I suspect your last statement is likely to turn out to be the biggest issue for many new users of the G2. There are some that I have heard from by email that the G2 Saturn is their first Anan radio. And also their first experience using a Linux based system. It will be, and already has been, quite the learning curve for many new Anan users.
James
WD5GWY
KC2QMA

Postby KC2QMA » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:56 pm

What can I say I'm new around here :)
I had a 200W 8000DLE years ago but did not keep it long enough to fully understand it but now I own a G2-100 and look forward to learning as much as I can.
So far with the exception of a few bugs it's a very nice radio!
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:02 pm

Have fun with your new radio. It is always interesting to hear impressions of how well a new radio works. ( to me at least)
James
WD5GWY
Chipp

Postby Chipp » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:41 pm

I did a forum search on "How to report a Bug" hoping to find a step by step procedure, including links and screen shots to facilitate bug reporting. Information on how to check the bug list and status would be a plus. I believe having a standardized process where the developers, administrators and users could report and track bugs, enhancement requests etc would be beneficial for developers and users. Learning how to do this in GitHub should become SOP for Anan users.
W6MY - Chip
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:16 pm

There is a very comprehensive and formal bug list here: https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis/issues
W7GES

Postby W7GES » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:25 pm

I have a 7000 DLE MK II and just received a G2-100 earlier this week.

In my opinion it's better to have both rigs on the same software so I don't have to keep track of different software versions.

My work situation is very busy right now so I haven't had time to connect the G2 and Thetis but a few small glitches won't be a surprise or an earth shattering problem for me.

George / W7GES
Mark C

Postby Mark C » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:00 pm

G2 users also need to become Linux-savvy, as clearly the Pi is not an appliance.

This part of what w2uo said is me. Linux is going to be a large pain for me personally. Have tried it in the past with no good results. I will be 65 in a month and it is hard for this old dog to learn new tricks.

However, with that being said, I will give it my best shot. I have wanted an ANAN for a long time now, and have the G2 on the way. I don't give up too easy when it comes to computers and radio's, so I am actually looking forward to this experience.

Mark
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:37 pm

Mark, if you haven't already done so, download the latest G2 Saturn manual from the main Apache Labs website. In it are links to a manual for PiHPSDR and Thetis.
The manual for PiHPSDR has a lot of good information for things you might encounter with the G2.
James
WD5GWY
Mark C

Postby Mark C » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:19 pm

Hi James,

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. Still waiting on my G2--100. was shipped on the 2nd, however, planes from AU must fly much slower then those in the US. It left AU Airport on the 2nd and has been flying ever since. LoL.

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”