G2 Transmit issues

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
rbanasik

G2 Transmit issues

Postby rbanasik » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:42 pm

Hello.
I just received the G2 last week and am making friends with it. So far the receiver is awesome but I am not able yet to fully operate.
When piHPSDR starts on the control panel MOX is already enabled. I can toggle it off using the button on the panel. Nonetheless, there is no power out when MOX is activated.
After exiting piHDSDR and opening Thetis, Power on results in activating MOX (again with no power out) and I am unable to deactivate MOX. When I click MOX it momentarily switches to receive and I can hear rig relays clicking, but this is only for 100 or 200 milliseconds. To sustainably deactivate MOX I have to use Setup/General and tick "Receive only".
I've tried all this with no peripherals connected except Ethernet cable. I've also ensured drive levels are set midway. When mic is plugged into front panel connector, I get no power out in either stand-alone mode or via Thetis.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- Bob - Ki1n
laurencebarker

Re: G2 Transmit issues

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:16 pm

never seen anything like that. Is MOX enabled - if so disable it??
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:47 pm

Check if VOX is enabled. VOX is activating also the MOX-Btn if triggered.

73 Ernst
rbanasik

Postby rbanasik » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:35 pm

laurencebarker wrote:never seen anything like that. Is
MOX enabled - if so disable it??

Hi Laurence. Thanks for your response.
No, pi boots from a cold start with MOX active, but I can deactivate by pressing the MOX button on the front panel
If I close piSDR and open Thetis, it also opens from a cold state with MOX engaged as soon as I hit the power button. I haven't found a way to turn it off other than ticking "receive only" in the setup panel.
One person suggested: PiHpSDR has the <Raspberry Pi MacAddress>.props file, which is similar in purpose to the Thetis database.xml file. Deleting this file can often resolve certain issues with PiHpSDR.
Does anyone else think this might be helpful? I am not sure of the mechanics of deleting that file such as its actual name, folder, etc.
-- Bob - Ki1n
rbanasik

Postby rbanasik » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:41 pm

oe3ide wrote:Check if VOX is enabled. VOX is activating also the MOX-Btn if triggered.

73 Ernst

Hi Ernst. Thanks for that thought. Yes, I was hoping it might be that type of thing but the VOX is not activated. I even tried activating it to see if its function had been reversed somehow.
I'm still hoping this is a setup error of some sort. I had a problem originally connecting the rig trying to assign a static ip through a switch. I later learned from Tony that DHCP is ok even though it was stated in one of the manuals that we are better off with static ip.
Oy, lots to learn—but after all, that is what I kind of signed up for, right?
-- Bob - Ki1n
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:35 pm

Maybe something is shortening the ptt-circuit? PTT-input or Mic?

73 Ernst
rbanasik

Postby rbanasik » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:57 pm

oe3ide wrote:Maybe something is shortening the ptt-circuit? PTT-input or Mic?

73 Ernst

I tried with all peripherals disconnected and same issue. I've just been futsing around with various controls and apparently I hit on something that has addressed the MOX auto on state. However, still have no transmit power or audio. I notice that the VAC on state is not remembered after boot up; is there a way to make that automatic?
-- Bob - Ki1n
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:02 pm

VAC state is saved in TX Profile. Whatever TX Profile comes up on boot will determine VAC state.

Mark
rbanasik

Re: G2 Transmit issues (resolved)

Postby rbanasik » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:20 pm

Thanks to everyone for those helpful thoughts. The "no transmit" issues turned out to be complex. Touble shooting included trying multiple xmit modes. When attempting to transmit on AM, I noticed a momentary transmit signal on external meter (perhaps ~250 msec.) of output which abruptly ended. That turned out to be the SWR protection caused by a 1.7:1 SWR. I changed the default settings to resolve that issue. This left SSB with still no power output. The resolution turned out to be the Heil headset using a 3.5mm mono plug rather than stereo. This ended up shorting the audio line to ground. I replaced the mic with an old D104 out of my shack closet, wired a stereo plug to include PTT which resulted in full power out capability.
The learning journey continues! :) -- Bob - Ki1n
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:21 pm

My G-2, 100w, blank front panel arrived just 3 days ago. I pulled my 7000DLE Mark lll off the shelf, putting the new G-2 in its place.
I moved the attached cables...grounding strap, CAT6E cable coming direct from the PC, headphone/speaker plug , microphone plug, and the power supply. Thetis 2.10.0 was already loaded.

I started the G-2 and opened Thetis. Upon clicking on the power button, little happened except for the MOX button being active. I selected the G-2 as the rig.
Transmit was active with normal power output using the tune and 2-tone button. SSB modulated normally with normal power.
Transmit monitor was not available.
I discovered, that MOX turned off if I removed the microphone (either from the jack on the G-2 or only at the microphone). I use an EV RE-27n microphone with XLR connection plus a patch cable with small TRS plug. This is exactly what I have successfully used for months, plugged into the front mike jack of the 7000DLE Mark lll. Once the MOX was deactivated, no receive and no sound was heard.
I fiddled with setting, etc. for yet another full day.

Then I remembered that I had a brand new, unopened Geekom mini-pc maxed out and with Windows 11 Pro.
I looked at this an opportunity to start from scratch with a "virgin" computer. After hours of Windows setup and installing all updates, I was ready!!! I was sure this would solve my problem. In a way it did...

I installed Thetis 2.10.0 fresh off Github, and "let her rip". I selected the G-2 100w rig. I clicked the Thetis power button.
Low and behold, the MOX button was again activated. Again, MOX deactivated once the microphone was unplugged.
BUT, once I removed the mic, the receiver become fully functional. Everything worked. The MON button did not work.
I adjusted the RX1 Sample all the way to 1536000 with the desired bandwidth changes. Processor load 2%.

Sooooo...what's different about plugging my existing mic and cord and plug into the G-2? Until I can fix that, it's gonna be difficult to manage all those phone nets! :roll:

By the way, all my settings were messed up each time I cycled the Thesis power button ( that's on my old computer).
The good news is that all the problems about database saving and retention using Thetis 2.10.0 disappeared on my new "virgin" computer installation. Everyone needs a new computer...right!?

Ideas? Thanks!

73 Torrey N9PY
echo_india

Postby echo_india » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:16 pm

Hi Torrey,

I suspect what is happening is the mic tip is acting as ptt ground. I suggest to read the Saturn manual there are some gotchas if you do not accustom yourself with it.

You can change this setting in Thetis Settings -> General -> H/W select and under hardware options set Mic to ring instead if tip. This should stop the radio going into MOX when you plug in your mic.

All the best

EI5GJB
Best 73,
EI5GJB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:30 pm

Torrey--please tell us exactly how the RE27 and adapter are wired, and please show us a screen shot of Thetis > Setup > General > H/W Select.
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:39 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Torrey--please tell us exactly how the RE27 and adapter are wired, and please show us a screen shot of Thetis > Setup > General > H/W Select.

The XLR-3 output from the mic is standard. XLR 2 = "hot" (positive) mic output, XLR 1 = shield/ground, XLR 3 = (negative) mic return

By resistance checking of the adapter patch cable
IMG_4730.jpg
IMG_4730.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1770 times
:
Tip to ring - closed
Tip to shield - open
Ring to shield - open
XLR 2 to shield - open, XLR 2 to tip and ring - closed
XLR 1 to shield - closed, XLR 1 to tip and ring - open
XLR 3 to shield - closed, XLR 3 to tip and ring - open
My conclusions:
1. mic output XLR2 delivered to both tip and ring
2. tip and ring are connected in the plug
3. I need to break the connection between tip and ring
4. Why does this cable work normally on the 7000DLE Mark lll?
5. Why is PTT keyed in this scenario?

Tnx and 73 Torrey N9PY
rbanasik

Postby rbanasik » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:49 pm

FYI, I was told by Anan that the G2 has the front mike input wiring reversed with Tip audio ground and ring mic input.
Rear mic plug is wired normally with tip mic input and ring audio ground.
XLR is inoperative.
Once I abandoned trying to use the XLR inputs I was able to wire and profile mics for either the front or rear inputs.
-- Bob - Ki1n
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:27 am

To summarize:

XLR pin 2 <--> TRS shield (correct!)
XLR pin 3 <--> TRS shield (correct!)

Editorial note: it can help noise immunity to also bond XLR pins 2 and 3 inside the XLR connector

XLR pin 1 <--> TRS tip (correct!)
XLR pin 1 <--> TRS ring (incorrect, remove this connection)

The reason this worked on your 7000 is because (and this is an assumption you have to confirm), with the settings you show in your screen shot there is no connection to ring. To expand on this, the mic setting not only controls which TRS pin carries the mic signal, but also controls which TRS pin is assigned to the PTT signal. I.e. put mic on tip and PTT will be on ring, or put mic on ring and PTT will be on tip.

However, if PTT is set to Off, then the PTT pin, assigned as described above, will be a "no connect" inside the ANAN.

Now consider that Bob is saying the tip and ring connections are reversed in the G2 relative to what Thetis thinks they are. If that is the case then in your scenario it still shouldn't matter because, as luck would have it, you have a cable in which tip and ring are both connected together to XLR pin 1, and with PTT selected "Off" it shouldn't matter how bad the wiring is in the mic cable, nothing should allow PTT to be asserted when the mic is connected.

The first experiment I would recommend is, with your existing mic cable just the way it is, set PTT to "On" and see if that setting is also reversed.

Failing that, correct the cable as described above and try again.
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:32 am

XLR.jpeg
XLR.jpeg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 1731 times
Scott,

I pondered your response, and decided I needed to open up these connectors to see "what goes".
Attached are photos of both the XLR connector and the TRS plug on the patch cable.
It all made sense once I did that. At the XLR end, both the mic audio output and the audio return wires were soldered to XLR pin 2.
Pins 1 and 3 were soldered together to the shield.
At the TRS end, audio output went to the tip, audio return went to the ring, and shield went to shield.

I clipped the audio return wire in the XLR, leaving only the red audio output wire going to the tip.
The MOX now behaves normally. The spacebar PTT function not working. The highlight on the PTT selection checkbox blinks as I push the spacebar; but no action. I don't really care. I plan to setup a PTT switch plugged into the back (as per another forum article).

One more thing. The MON button now works!

I think I'm good for now. I'll try making a couple of QSOs tomorrow morning...to be sure.

73 & tnx,
Torrey N9PY
XLR.jpeg
XLR.jpeg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 1731 times
Attachments
TRS.jpeg
TRS.jpeg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 1731 times
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:24 pm

I'm glad it's working but I wish you had done the PTT settings test before fixing the cable because the theory I proposed is the only explanation for why the original cable worked on the 7000 and didn't work on the G2. Regardless, it should work on both now.

Clearly there is no evidence that mic tip and ring are reversed inside the G2.
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:40 pm

As far as I know the tip and ring of the G2 microphone inputs on the front panel ARE reversed. Those on the back panel are not and will respond as per Thetis or p2app settings as expected.

For those that want to correct the front panel input, it is possible to modify the 10 way ribbon cable from the front panel to the Saturn board, reversing the wires on pins 9 and 10. I did this by getting a new 10 pin header and proceeding as follows:

1. Cut off the ribbon cable connector at one end (scissors cut through the cable nicely)
2. Use scissors to split off the pin 9 & 10 wires from the 1-8 wires, for maybe one inch / 3cm
3. Carefully crimp a new connector onto the cable with pins 9&10 swapped round (use a vice)

You can identify the pin 1 of the connectors because it will have an arrow marked on it.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:18 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:I'm glad it's working but I wish you had done the PTT settings test before fixing the cable because the theory I proposed is the only explanation for why the original cable worked on the 7000 and didn't work on the G2. Regardless, it should work on both now.

Clearly there is no evidence that mic tip and ring are reversed inside the G2.

Scott,

I can happily report that my spacebar PTT has been restored with the Thetis 2.10.1 update.

73 Torrey

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”