P2app does not run after Raspbian update

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
K1VL

P2app does not run after Raspbian update

Postby K1VL » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:36 pm

I'm having a great time with my new G2 (no display). Performance has been excellent and I have managed to break the P2app by updating Raspbian. I hope the great minds in the community can help me diagnose and resolve the issue.

I have the latest August G2 software and firmware updates installed and operating normally. Since that update went great I decided I would do an apt update and apt upgrade for the Raspbian OS to keep everything up to date. That was a mistake. After the OS upgrade was completed I rebooted the OS and radio and the P2app would not run and, of course, Thetis could not connect. I tried to manually execute the P2app via VNC and it would startup but would almost instantly close so it was difficult to see the error messages.

I did manage to execute the P2app within terminal and captured the output to a text file that I have attached to my post. I also tried to pull, clean and make the P2app again but that did not help. I have an image of the original production G2 image so I can revert the Pi but I would like to keep the OS up to date as we move forward. Any suggestions or solutions would be welcome.

Carmine K1VL
Attachments
p2app error after Raspbian update.txt
(57.3 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Carmine K1VL
n1gp

Re: P2app does not run after Raspbian update

Postby n1gp » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:58 pm

Hi Carmine,

There is another thread that covers this issue and how to fix it.
Check out:

https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4772

-Rick / N1GP
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:48 pm

The issue here is: the operating system kernel has been updated, and the device driver now needs to be recompiled to match. The good news is it only needs a recompile, not patching. This seems to be unavoidable with linux unless someone can tell me how to avoid it otherwise!

open a command window and type:

cd ~/github/Saturn/linuxdriver/xdma
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe xdma

if there are no error messages, it is now fixed. You can check by using your file browser to visit the /dev folder. It should now include /dev/xdma and some similar names that weren't there before.

There is probably a similar issue with your LCD drivers (for touchscreen) if you have a model with front panel.

I've mentioned to Abhi that we need to find a procedural solution to this (perhaps recommending not to update until we've checked the versions).
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
K1VL

Postby K1VL » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:41 pm

Laurence,

Thank you! That did the trick. I executed the recompile after updating Raspbian as you outlined and the P2app now works on the updated system kernel.

I agree with you that some procedural recommendations on when to (or to not to) update the system kernel would be helpful as I'm sure there are more than a few out there that like to keep the OS current. Needless to say, my recommendation is to ensure all should have a good image backup of the Pi's SD card before making any changes. A good SD image makes backing out of your changes a relatively simple matter.

I also want to thank you for all your development efforts to make Saturn happen. I look forward to new enhancements and remote access possibilities in the future. I was very happy to hear that an HTML5 interface is potentially being considered and that you have it hosted an accessible, open source OS as well.

Carmine K1VL
Carmine K1VL
WM7C

Postby WM7C » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:31 pm

It happened to me as well. Working great now after rebuilding the driver.
brentc

Postby brentc » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:13 pm

laurencebarker wrote:The issue here is: the operating system kernel has been updated, and the device driver now needs to be recompiled to match. The good news is it only needs a recompile, not patching. This seems to be unavoidable with linux unless someone can tell me how to avoid it otherwise!

open a command window and type:

cd ~/github/Saturn/linuxdriver/xdma
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe xdma

if there are no error messages, it is now fixed. You can check by using your file browser to visit the /dev folder. It should now include /dev/xdma and some similar names that weren't there before.

There is probably a similar issue with your LCD drivers (for touchscreen) if you have a model with front panel.

I've mentioned to Abhi that we need to find a procedural solution to this (perhaps recommending not to update until we've checked the versions).

We ran into this today after updating the OS.
N9BC

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”