G2: Pure Signal Fails to Alter Output Despite Thetis Indicators Saying Its Working

G2 operating system and special app's (e.g. p2app) discussion only--post Thetis and piHPSDR questions in their own sub-forums
WA2UMP

G2: Pure Signal Fails to Alter Output Despite Thetis Indicators Saying Its Working

Postby WA2UMP » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:45 am

Model: G2, FW: v2.0.0, SW: v2.10.3.6, Sampler: VK3AMP Amp: Mercury III s

I’ve encountered an issue with Pure Signal on my G2. To my knowledge it’s setup with all the appropriate parameters and the Thetis indicators say that its working yet there is no change in the output when PS is switched on and off. Specifically, no improvement is seen on WebSDRs, panadapter, and reported by all contacts. Thetis implies that PS is working since the lower right conner goes green and FB is replaced by approximately 165 when transmitting audio. ATT is 21 when transmitting 900 watts and drops to 7 when running barefoot at 100 watts.

When running barefoot at 100 watts, and “Rx BYPASS” unchecked there is still no improvement. This implies the sampler is not at fault since its not involved in this configuration

As already mentioned, when running 900 watts with “Rx BYPASS” checked there is no improvement (The sampler of course comes into play here).

To my knowledge, all my parameters are correct and are listed here:
On the front panel DUP and PS-A are of course selected.
On Art/Filter:
ATT on TX 31, Force on TX when PS-A is off
Force ATT on Tx to 31 when Drive or Tune Power is increased and PS-A is on
Rx Bypass on Tx
Gnd BF2 on Tx

Attached is a video with a 2Tone Test during which PS is switched from ON to OFF. The signal as viewed on the Thetis Panadapter and WebSDR shows no improvement with PS on, in fact perhaps it improves a tiny bit with PS off.

So, has anyone else encountered the same issue? I’m running out of things to try.
Attachments

Video_2024-02-19_900w-WebSDR-PS-on-off.wmv [ 15.95 MiB | Viewed 521 times ]

laurencebarker

Re: G2: Pure Signal Fails to Alter Output Despite Thetis Indicators Saying Its Working

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:04 am

Thetis has a parameter SetPk which is important. It is on the linearity form. For a G2 it should be set to 0.6121 and for an Anan7000 it should be set to 0.2899.

We had modified Thetis to set this for G2 radios; but Warren advised me on Saturday that was no longer being set. It looks like the Thetis code has changed again.

Can you manually edit the value in the linearity form and see if that makes a difference?

Obviously we will need to get that put right but it would help to know if that is the same issue.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
laurencebarker

Re: G2: Pure Signal Fails to Alter Output Despite Thetis Indicators Saying Its Working

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:53 am

what I've found is: the value now seems to be set by a button on the puresignal (linearity) form rather than being set in response to the hardware type.

Open the linearity form; underneath where it says "setpk" is a "default" button. That should set a value of 0.6121, and that seems to persist when you run the next time.

Not sure what happens if you have two types of radio though!

Does pressing that button resolve the issue for you?
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
WA2UMP

Postby WA2UMP » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:29 pm

********************* SOLVED 2/20/2024 *******************
I was able to solve this issue by doing DB reset and NOT reloading the previous DB. PS works great now. I’m not sure which parameter(s) caused the problem since to my knowledge, I had manually entered the same previous parameters.

A full DB reset may fix other quirky issues that do not quite make sense.

While this worked well, please read other possible responses, there may be a more targeted solution. In the meantime, I’m back to enjoying the G2!

73 - Jim - WA2UMP
Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:47 pm

Please, just as a point of clarity, would someone post the correct “setpk” values for the different Anan models? I take it, that there is a table in the code for the proper selection.

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y
WA2UMP

Postby WA2UMP » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:15 pm

As a follow up to Lawrence, G8NJJ, thanks for troubleshooting and the response to my post, much appreciated. Since I’ve already reset the DB , I do not know the old value. However, after the reset, SetPk was set to 0.2899 as you mentioned. I’ve pressed the “setpk” button and it appropriately went to 0.6121. In the 2Tone testing that I’ve just done, it’s difficult to discern subtle differences in linearity so I’m afraid its not obvious yet which value is better (although probably 0.6121).

In the problem that I’ve posted PS did not work at all, so this is a second and more subtle issue. It must also be corrected and thanks for identifying this issue.

I plan to perform more testing here.

Thanks again & 73 – Jim WA2UMP
echo_india

Postby echo_india » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:21 pm

Hi all, these are my settings with external coupler. SetPk 0.2899. If I select the default button it sets the SetPk 0.6121and pure signal no longer works.

pure_signal.png
pure_signal.png (67.98 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Best 73,
EI5GJB

Return to “G2 Operating System & Applications”