PowerSDR mRX 3.4.9 crashes on first time run

edtyler

PowerSDR mRX 3.4.9 crashes on first time run

Postby edtyler » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:43 pm

Hi,

After receiving a new 7000 DLE MKII and PowerSDR 3.4.9 on Win7, the clicking on the icon caused a "Allow this program" prompt. Next a PowerSDR window appeared and then was filled a few seconds later with what looks like a call stack trace that is somewhat obscured by the PowerSDR window background. At this point the radio was not powered on.

Net 4.5 and Net 3.5 (which includes Net 2.0) are installed on a Win7SP1 base. The other prerequisites listed in the PowerSDR manual are unavailable for Win7.

Is this a common problem with a known solution or is there something obvious missing from my procedure?

Also, what is the best source of information on debugging these kind of issues.

Eventually, once I am able to connect to the radio and change its IP to a static address, then I want to experiment with PowerSDR and Thetis with Protocol 2 firmware. But, I can't even get started.

Thanks for any help !

Dale Tyler (W6EDT)
NC3Z

Re: PowerSDR mRX 3.4.9 crashes on first time run

Postby NC3Z » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:50 pm

Got to ask, why are you using the very powerful 7000DLE and not running the very best software and firmware on it?

Thetis:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3817

Protocol 2:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3192
Gary NC3Z
edtyler

Postby edtyler » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:01 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply.

It was my impression that one had to use PowerSDR to do the initial radio setup and upgrade of the firmware to Protocol 2.

I also understood that Thetis could not use Protocol 1, which I expect is what is in the radio now. Of course, since I can't talk to the radio, I can't learn what firmware it is running.

Can I use Thetis for initial startup, including changing to a static IP?

Thanks,
Dale (W6EDT)
Dale (W6EDT)
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:28 pm

You can use Thetis for protocol 1and 2. Use bootloader to change IP and firmware, more info here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333&p=2338#p2338
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:13 pm

What Tony said.
Gary NC3Z
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:31 pm

Thetis does have a couple of limitations under Protocol 1: max. sample rate supported is 192KHz, and no stitched receivers.

However, these are minor limitation and will go away when you inevitably upgrade to Protocol 2 ;)
edtyler

Postby edtyler » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:21 am

Hi,

So just to confirm, I can use Thetis to change the IP of the 7000MKii to fixed IP, correct?

As others have said, a Getting started guide would be quite helpful. I have been reading quite a bit, but the information is very disjoint and a lot of old posts that no longer apply. It is a little frustrating to have a new, powerful radio and not be able to be able to use it.

Thanks,
Dale (W6EDT)
Dale (W6EDT)
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:46 am

No Dale, as I wrote above "Use bootloader to change IP and firmware" Excellent networking guide here http://www.w1aex.com/anan/anan.html#network

edtyler wrote:Hi,

So just to confirm, I can use Thetis to change the IP of the 7000MKii to fixed IP, correct?

Thanks,
Dale (W6EDT)
edtyler

Re: PowerSDR mRX 3.4.9 crashes on first time run [SOLVED]

Postby edtyler » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:52 pm

Hi Tony,

Thank you for all of your help. Sorry I misread your post.

Thetis is now up and running and I can receive off air and transmit into a dummy load.

Bottom line for anyone who reads this thread later - Don't bother with PowerSDR mRx. Just use Thetis. It does appear that one can set the IP of the 700DLE from Thetis as well as from the bootloader.

Thanks,
Dale (W6EDT)
Dale (W6EDT)
w-u-2-o

Re: PowerSDR mRX 3.4.9 crashes on first time run [SOLVED]

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:12 pm

edtyler wrote:It does appear that one can set the IP of the 700DLE from Thetis as well as from the bootloader.
That is absolutely incorrect. You can NOT set the IP address of any hardware from inside of Thetis.

The hardware (7000 or otherwise) gets its address three ways:

1. From the factory, out of the box, it is set to use DHCP.

2. If it does not get DHCP, and you've connected it directly to an Ethernet port on your PC, it will default to an APIPA address after a minute or so. Note that if the PC port in question is also not defaulting to APIPA, probably because it has a static IP assigned, communications will fail.

3. A static IP address manually set using either HPSDR Programmer or HPSDR Bootloader. If you manually set the address to 0.0.0.0 then the hardware will use DHCP.

The IP address entries in Thetis, in Setup > General > H/W Select, are ONLY for use when you have hardware that has been manually set to an IP address using method (3) above, and exist so that you may select from a number of different units that are on the network, all of which have to have been set manually to a static IP using method (3) above. they are only active when the "Enable Static IP Address" box is checked.
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:54 pm

Glad you got it running Dale, enjoy.

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”