10E PowerSDR mRX

Ken

10E PowerSDR mRX

Postby Ken » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:46 pm

Hello again,

I am trying to help a friend with a 10E.

It has Ver 1.3 ID Hermes Protocol 1

It will run Thetis but it will not load OpenHPSDR-PowerSDR mRX PS v3.4.9. I guess this is for the 10E, I really don't know.

When trying to load, it gives some sort of script error starting with Column TXEQfreq1 does not belong to table TXProfile. at system.datarow.get_item(string columnName) and so and so on...

Does this have something to do the the wisdom files? I remember something about deleting wisdom files???

Anyway I would really like to help this friend of mine 10E up and running!

Thank you all as usual.
Ken
w-u-2-o

Re: 10E PowerSDR mRX

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:34 pm

Ken

Postby Ken » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:16 pm

Hi Scott,

I went to the link you had given but everything I had read and tried did not work.

I can load Thetis and it seems to work okay, not what I call stable though.

The OpenHPSDR mRX will not even load. There is no database to erase and there isn't even a
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Top directory for Thetis or a like for OpenHPSDR mRX.

This is a new win10 machine and a new OpenHPSDR mRX install.

All of this is strange to me and I have never experienced such. This is a 10E that was bought used just a few days ago to a week.
I get power out using Thetis but on AM the SWR wants to climb during modulation but when put in "TUNE" my swr stays at 1.2, I find that very strange.

I have been using an ANAN 100 from when they first came out, so I have some experience here and of course some help from you along the way in the past. (Thank you)

I have a 10E board and a 10 watt board on order, so it would be nice to get this working with some understanding so when it arrives!
Like I had mentioned before, this is not mine but belongs to a friend who I enjoy helping and who appreciates good help!

Thank you and sorry for your troubles, I am at a lost.

Ken
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:29 am

With PowerSDR mRX being the problem, you have to look for this directory and delete it:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems\

The directories you were referencing are for Thetis.

Also, I suspect that you did not replace "username" with your Windows login username. If so you were looking in the wrong place.
Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:53 am

w-u-2-o wrote:With PowerSDR mRX being the problem, you have to look for this directory and delete it:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems\

The directories you were referencing are for Thetis.

Also, I suspect that you did not replace "username" with your Windows login username. If so you were looking in the wrong place.

The OpenHPSDR mRX will not even load. There is no database to erase and there isn't even a
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Top directory for Thetis or a like for OpenHPSDR mRX.

I understood it wasn't the same directory, I just didn't know what it was so the reason I used Thetis directory instead and said or a like and so forth what you now see above in Bold Blue so that you can look back at my example, sorry for not being clear.

Well another thing I found out was the directory "user" had hidden sub directories, and that was the reason I was stating it was not there. I did look under user and the the particular user name. After I had taken the hidden options off, the sub-directories appeared. But not until I had to create another user name!

Now I would had not had thought of this until you had mentioned about the directory under the login user name.

So what I did was to create another user name and restarted the install under the new created user name, and bingo the installed started the installation correctly! Where before the installation didn't going through the whole list of files and the install was finished in no time at all.
This was another indication to me that something wasn't right. I even did an uninstall through windows but I could not find those directories needed to delete the data base and such to give it a clean install. But because of the new created user name this was no longer an issue.

But I still could not see those directories until I right clicked in an empty space under the "user" directory to discover I could make those directories reappear. Why they were not revealed in the first place is beyond me.

But I would not had moved forward and do what I have done if you Scott didn't chime in on that last reply!

That my friend makes you another Hero of the Day! Really all the time but you know how it goes!!!

You are always awesome and appreciated in my book as one would say!!!

Thank you a whole Bunch Scott, really...Thank you my friend.

Ken
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:45 am

Glad you got it working!
Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:33 pm

I couldn't have done it without your help, that's for sure.

If it's okay, I have another question.

When in the AM mode and modulating, the SWR will climb to something like
2.7 to 2.9 in the software SWR Meter. It does this in OpenHPSDR and Thetis but the SWR on the External
Meter will be no higher then 1.2.

Is this a known issue with the 10E? Is the SWR truly high in the Radio? This does not happen with my Anan 100 with the same antenna.

Is there anyone else having this issue? For now I can only expect that it might be RF reflecting back, I really don't know at the moment.

Any ideas?

Again thank you Scott and others who had helped.

Ken
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:47 pm

I've never heard of such behavior, Ken.

If you want to get other people's attention on this new problem in a forum, you'll need to post a new topic about this separate problem with a sufficiently descriptive title. Forums don't work like email lists where everything is just a jumbled, single stream of consciousness.

I recommend you start a new topic in the "Everything else" sub-forum, viewforum.php?f=17

Maybe title it "10E VSWR problem".
Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:24 pm

Okay, I understand.

I will keep searching on my issue here in the shack and if I can't get anywhere
I will do just that.

You have always been here not just for me but for everyone, I am grateful, thank you Scott.

Ken
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Ken wrote:I couldn't have done it without your help, that's for sure.
This [high SWR] does not happen with my Anan 100 with the same antenna.

Ken,

Are you using the exact same feedline arrangement for both radios? Even something as seemingly innocuous as changing the total length of feedline can affect the measured SWR of the antenna system. Keep in mind, the SWR meter is reporting the measured SWR for the entire system, which includes all of the feedline. If there's anything that changes anywhere in that system when you're comparing measurements between radios then you're no longer comparing apples to apples.

Just by way of illustration, the coax jumper between my radio and tuner is only 12 inches long (a negligible distance at HF frequencies), so the SWR that's observed by my tuner is very close to that which is measured by my radio.

Mark
Ken

Postby Ken » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:06 pm

Hello Mark,

Sorry I am just now replying back as I am just now seeing this.

Thanks for your input and your aid to help as it is always appreciated.

I like to think I understand feed lines and the effects of different lengths and such due to the properties of the feed line
and such. The issue is not the feed lines, but I believe the SWR circuit in the radio itself is the issue.

I can get a 1.1 / 1.2 through a dummy load using a 10 foot piece of coax with it being stable when using AM modulation. I experimented using a well known good piece of 100 foot of 7/8 hard with the Dummy load on the end. When in the AM mode with modulation the swr would be 1.1 until I modulated, then it would climb to 1.5 and higher depending the output power. Now this is watching the the Software meter in Thetis. However the external meter would always be at 1.1.

I had done this experiment to try to duplicate a system with the same length of cable as my system but with a dummy load on the end instead of an antenna. Knowing it is not exactly the same but in a 50 ohm so to speak environment it should indicate good results or if something is wrong it should show something similar to my system which was showing something wrong so to speak. This experiment triggered in my mine that it is a hardware issue. (And not a software issue because no one else is experiencing this issues) Also please read my next sentence.

An uncle of mine had a flex 5000 he bought used from a man in Florida (years ago) and as I remember he had a very similar issue, if not the same. He sent the radio back to Flex and they repaired it stating it was in the SWR circuit. I believe it was a blown diode.

This 10E was also bought from a man in Florida. We always call Florida the Lightning Capital of the world! I cannot say for sure, but I expect the radio at one time may had taken a static charge of some kind and perhaps had done something to the SWR circuit. ( I am only assuming on my part)

I moved the 10E to the original owners location and I have the same issue there with his antenna system.
The owner now has it in operation and it is working well except for the true reading of the software SWR meter. Maybe one day he will send it in for repairs.

Sometimes I find that those who come on here to help doesn't always have the correct answer but sometimes state something that helps triggers another idea that leads me to the correct answer. In my opinion that is why I believe it is always helpful for all of us to chime in when someone thinks he or she has an answer or an idea to the solution even if it doesn't. As long as it is near to subject it can always help trigger other ideas.

Thank you Mark for your reply, I appreciate you.

Ken
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:27 pm

With the slow rise in VSWR during a long transmission, this would imply some sort of heating effect.

Return to “PowerSDR mRX”