piHPSDR V1 update from Jessie

DL8LAQ

piHPSDR V1 update from Jessie

Postby DL8LAQ » Fri May 27, 2022 2:12 pm

Hi!

I have got a piHPSDR to play with and found very old software installed.
Raspbian Jessie and piHPSDR 1.3beta on an 8 GB sd-card.
I tried to update Jessie without taking the sd-card out. The upgrade to Stretch was not easy, but finally I got it.
An upgrade to Buster failed due to lack of free memory.
I installed a fresh 16 GB sd-card with Bullseye into the piHPSDR and used this link https://github.com/g0orx/pihpsdr/wiki/C ... erry-Pi-OS to compile piHPSDR v. 2.0.8-rc1.

Looks quite good, nice sound, but I miss some of the many settings from Thetis :-) I will play with the piHPSDR for some time.
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
david schoenwald

Re: piHPSDR V1 update from Jessie

Postby david schoenwald » Sat May 13, 2023 10:10 am

I was not happy with the controller V2, and so bought a flex radio.
w-u-2-o

Re: piHPSDR V1 update from Jessie

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat May 13, 2023 11:07 am

david schoenwald wrote:I was not happy with the controller V2, and so bought a flex radio.
Harsh! Do you still have an Apache setup?

@DL8LAQ: nice job on bringing the old Pi back up to speed. Don't forget you can easily upgrade the Pi in there to the latest and fastest, too.

I was a very early adopter of the piHPSDR idea, I even built my own. But it never held a candle to Thetis. I recently tried fooling with linHPSDR, same thing. Looking at Andromeda the very small screen size and resolution is a significant limitation. I'm very happy with my 4K display and smooth scrolling Logitech mouse and fail to understand the attraction of trying to achieve the appearance of an old fashioned, knobified radio. I can appreciate the argument that some contesters have that they can be a lot faster with dedicated physical controls but that can easily be achieved with a small MIDI controller. For DXing and ragchew a mouse is plenty fast enough.

Return to “piHPSDR”