WD5Y fork of Thetis Source Code

Joe

WD5Y fork of Thetis Source Code

Postby Joe » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:34 pm

https://github.com/WD5Y

WD5Y/VS_2022

Just wanted to post this, I have uploaded some source code additions to my GitHub repository. First if anything I am very much in the beginner or learning stage so take it as you will. If anything maybe someone could refine the coding because I make mistakes. If anyone is interested please try the code out:
1) added display of numeric amounts in trackbar pop ups.
2) added Location save for Richies great new multimeter form, only saves when the multimeter form itself is closed then when
Thetis starts back up in saved location.
3) added a sampling reset that works for me with the motu m4 - all it does is trigger the rate while Thetis is starting, seems to
help stabilize vac sampling, not sure why?
4) added some check boxes in the main option #2 tab to start Richies new multimeter and options for pure signal forms at
startup.

Anyway if interested please review, I sent this to Richie a while back hopefully for his take. Please read the readme file in the section for this. I know one person has “forked” the code so maybe they can refine.

I want to say how much I appreciate the work of Richie and others, they are the main ones that have made Thetis what it is!

Thanks and 73’s
Joe
WD5Y
Last edited by Joe on Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis Source Code

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:17 pm

Will you be working on an installer for this, Joe?
Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:51 pm

I need to work on that, I don’t have any experience with that step. Honestly, I was hoping someone would take a look at what I put in Thetis and use what they thought would be of value to most. I know the new multimeter docking location save and ability to launch at startup would be helpful, also I made a skin for my meter that reflected 50 vdc instead of 13 vdc. I did see that someone has forked the code over to their repository so maybe they can help with the installer on this.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:07 pm

Hi,
I forked Joe's repository and was able to compile his code. Also compiled a Thetis installer with the current standard skins and OE3IDE S-Meter files.

In case anyone is interested: https://github.com/DH1KLM/Thetis_VS2022/releases
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:40 pm

Thanks Sigi and Joe. I will try to give it a whirl this week!
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:06 am

Hi
The size of the multimeter does not change.
Attachments
2907_S.jpg
2907_S.jpg (125.31 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:31 pm

Multimeters (including the analog-style meters) are still work in progress...

Before Richie's summer-break I was in close contact with him. I created the png's and he created the code behind them. Nothing in this area has the status "ready" yet.

As far as I can remember, Richie built a general interface (kind of API) for all types of gauges (bar graphs, needle meters or something completely different). But this is also in very early alpha ;-)

73 Ernst
DK1WP

Postby DK1WP » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:11 pm

Thanks to Joe and Siggi for the publications and for the beautiful analog meter to Ernst!

When looking at the analog meter, it occurred to me that the PO value of 150 is too low for the new ANAN 8000 with the 500 watt power amplifier.
But maybe this is already taken into account.
Marcus
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:37 pm

DK1WP wrote:Thanks to Joe and Siggi for the publications and for the beautiful analog meter to Ernst!

When looking at the analog meter, it occurred to me that the PO value of 150 is too low for the new ANAN 8000 with the 500 watt power amplifier.
But maybe this is already taken into account.

As mentioned, early alpha stage. Some meter-pngs needing alignment procedure.. which is not implemented in the gui atm.

73 Ernst
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:55 pm

I don't have a dog in this hunt but I don't think it's a good idea to pursue updates to executables without Richie being in the loop.

Mark
Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:02 pm

I totally agree with getting Richie on board with this, I actually sent him an email about two weeks ago but he is probably very busy so I just posted anyway. Mainly thanks to Sigi for the extra work on the installer. I did not realize at the time but Richie had an update one step further than the one I worked with, it has to do with the rx1 & rx2 meters docking, I am trying to allow in the setup “checkboxes” to select rx1 or rx2 at startup, along with the other additions listed. Mainly the things I am adding are just small items, Richie’s work is far and above anything I put into it! I’m not sure why the post above had problems with sizing the multimeter form, l made no changes with that, you should just be able to drag the form edges where you want to? I really just wanted to mention the source code in case someone was interested, definitely not wanting to cloud any of the work previously done with Thetis.

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:27 pm

Maybe it's a good idea to rename the thread, something like "My attempts with Thetis sourcecode" or "For those who like to experiment - at your own risk" :lol:

Of course it would make sense to change the data path in these test versions so that existing Thetis installations are not affected.

K1LSB wrote:I don't have a dog in this hunt but I don't think it's a good idea to pursue updates to executables without Richie being in the loop.

Mark

Can you explain why?

I think we should be happy about every programmer who deals with Thetis and brings in new ideas. Whether these ideas will be accepted by the masses and then included in a publication by Richie or TAPR will be decided by others.

This makes it possible to try out changes quickly and discard them if necessary. Richie could (if he wanted to) integrate these changes into his version via Github.

Joe wrote:I really just wanted to mention the source code in case someone was interested, definitely not wanting to cloud any of the work previously done with Thetis.

I don't think anyone thinks of belittling Richie's effort. Anyone running a current version of Thetis knows what Richie has done.

That's the nice thing about open source, everyone can contribute.

But these are just my thoughts.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:43 pm

What Sigi said. It's open source. All are welcome. The more the merrier!

Obviously it's better for us non-developers, and arguably developers, too, if development is done in an organized fashion on Github. That's the whole point of a tool like Git. It brings automation and configuration management to code development.

I know that Richie is not super familiar with Git. It would be great if someone who was a real Git super-user could help organize something, but at the end of the day incorporating other people's changes manually is not a huge deal.

Keep it coming!

Return to “Thetis”