Changing Windows 10 Network Throttling Index for Better Performance

ea3aqr

Re: Changing Windows 10 Network Throttling Index for Better Performance

Postby ea3aqr » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:14 am

Dan wrote:I changed the throttling index a year ago and I've been running it consistently since then. What I noticed is that the audio ticks on TX that I was seeing and hearing have completely disappeared. The consequence seems to be the Thetis screen will freeze, and then when I click on the power button it comes back to life. If I leave Thetis on all day, this might happen three times. I was on 160 this morning for an hour and a half and it happened once. It's not a big deal, and I'm content with the trade-off.

Tony EI7BMB wrote:Yeah I've noticed the screen freeze too and was not sure of the cause. happens rarely enough. Thanks Dan

Dan and Tony I'm also experiencing random system frezes from time to time on my remote QTH PC. This PC worked flawesly for years but started frezing randomly about 1 month ago.

It is not a throttilng index tweak issue for sure, My main PC runs the tweak without any problem.

I suspect it could be related to an old video driver (Using a R9 280x GPU with drivers dated to 2022) or something related with latest bios/OS patches to mitigate Ryzen processor vulnerabilities.

When my system frezes I can see that Thetis frame rate drops from 52 (my setting) to 1, but CPU usage is still below 3%. Very weird!

Could you please post your settings?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: Radeon R9 280x
Last edited by ea3aqr on Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
New call sign EA3CL
rbanasik

Postby rbanasik » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:28 pm

Great, thanks. I'm experiencing intermittent drop outs during transmissions with a G2 and an I7 NUC, so will give this a try today. -- Bob - Ki1n
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:47 pm

Thanks for info

My Pc : Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core
Nvidia GTX 1660
Win 11
VK4BXI

Postby VK4BXI » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:41 am

Hi I have managed to get myself a UMC202HD, and in the process of installing it and its drivers I have been getting dropouts, hooting and feedback et.c when I try and run things with my Voicemeeter potato. I decided to check if the throttling index tweak is still set on my windows 10 machine i5. Upon checking I find that there is no sub-directory multimedia below windows NT/ currentversion . Something windows related has probably happened.....but what ? I don't think installing the UMC ASIO Driver should have done that. The PC and thetis still work fine...but I normally use the mic and headphone sockets on the front of the rig ..a..7000 mkII.
I wonder if windows has struck again ?

Bob
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:56 am

Bob,

It seems there are at least two things going on here. First is the lack of the expected registry keys. This might affect dropout performance but not "hooting and feedback".

You might need some Windows OS repairs. Try running the following commands from an Command Prompt (Admin) window:

sfc /scannow
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

As for the "hooting and feedback" that is most likely a Voicemeeter configuration problem. Please start a new topic in the following sub-forum and include some screen shots of your setup: viewforum.php?f=13
VK4BXI

Postby VK4BXI » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:37 am

Will do Scott.
First will be to try and roll back my system....I have another bootable drive with a complete earlier backup on. And try and see where the registry got hacked. I have evil thoughts about the Voicemeeter matrix program which I have also been trying. It's possible that Banana and matrix won't co-exist even if only one is being run at a time. Especially if one is making Registry edits.
If I can get the registry back in some shape then gradually re build and try to document what works and what doesn't.

Bob
VK4BXI

Postby VK4BXI » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:41 am

Scott, things are getting interesting. I've just booted from original drive that was "parked" (no power to the original drive but power to the clone), that was isolated just prior to adding the UMC drivers and Voicemeeter Matrix.
And when I boot from the earlier drive the throttling index entry is back in the registry. So I now need to re clone and add the UMC drivers and then maybe the Voicemeeter Matrix. I am leaning towards Voicemeeter Matrix as the culprit at this point.

Bob
VK4BXI

Postby VK4BXI » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:24 am

Scott adding in the UMC drivers doesn't affect the throttling index so for me Voicemeeter was the culprit.
I'm going to open an other discussion about what I think is my problem.

Bob

Return to “Thetis”