Thetis v2.8.11 - UPDATES and current issues

RU6AI

Re: Thetis v2.8.11 - UPDATES and current issues

Postby RU6AI » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:36 am

ust some ideas:
* maybe you have enabled mute? (mute works now also on VAC) --------------- No
* is it only rx or also tx -----------------------------------------------------------------------------Everything works on RX .. The problem is only TX
* do you get audio (power out) when pressing "Tune" in JTDX----------------------------NO
* do you "see" audio going out in Voicemeeter when pressing "Tune" in JTDX------------NO

I repeat, as soon as I switch the control to CAT in the radio settings, then everything starts working correctly.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:48 am

RU6AI wrote:ust some ideas:
* maybe you have enabled mute? (mute works now also on VAC) --------------- No
* is it only rx or also tx -----------------------------------------------------------------------------Everything works on RX .. The problem is only TX
* do you get audio (power out) when pressing "Tune" in JTDX----------------------------NO
* do you "see" audio going out in Voicemeeter when pressing "Tune" in JTDX------------NO

I repeat, as soon as I switch the control to CAT in the radio settings, then everything starts working correctly.

That's weird. Maybe you try a fresh JTDX.
jtdx.exe --rig-name=TEST

Is the Anan switched to TX, if you "Tune" in JTDX?

73 Ernst
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:03 am

ramdor wrote:*** another day/hour, another test version - 21k9rc1

Moving on towards getting this at the the top of the thread. Please try :

Download x64 [md5:71BF4FDFE6912AA9D01A67DE5320A37A] - https://bit.ly/3GMUppa

Thanks, Richie.

[21k9rc1]
add: warnings added to setup-dsp if settings do not match. Remember, if a mode uses a different TX profile, that profile may have different dsp settings as well, causing additional dsp rebuild time
add: improvements to TCI. Should now be able to TX through RX2 in JTDX for example. Note: split op needs work on RX2, so use fake or none in jtdx if using RX2 as the tx
fix: mon now works for audio on vac2, and can also be volume adjusted. Still no vac mon when using vfob split on RX1
fix: recording playback when TX'ing can be mon volume adjusted. Recording playback when not tx'ing is RX volume
fix: TCI rate limit should now work as expected

Works perfect here :-)

Thanks Richie!

73 Ernst
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:33 am

ramdor wrote:rx2 support is still not fully supported. Hopefully over the next few days.

Richie.

Hi
Thanks Richie
Already good!
While the transmission on RX2 is with RX1 modulation.
Attachments
TCI_RX2.jpg
TCI_RX2.jpg (737.3 KiB) Viewed 7196 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:16 am

Yevgeni wrote:While the transmission on RX2 is with RX1 modulation.

That is strange, as it was using vac2 for me, and I was using JTDX on Client 2 no problem. I did however have to reset my database to get the audio to work on vac2. I have not investigated why it happened as yet.

Try just using RX2 with voice from a PC mic device, and see if you can get that working. Ignore TCI.

Richie.

EDIT: yes, seems to be an old issue. I think if you switch on the checkbox 'use vac2 on split' in setup , then click on TXA and then TXB in the VFO boxes it should work.
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:42 pm

ramdor wrote:EDIT: yes, seems to be an old issue. I think if you switch on the checkbox 'use vac2 on split' in setup , then click on TXA and then TXB in the VFO boxes it should work.

Thanks!
That's how it works.
Attachments
SSB_FT8_TCI_RX1_RX2.jpg
SSB_FT8_TCI_RX1_RX2.jpg (989.43 KiB) Viewed 7172 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:50 pm

yep, a work around for now. It is fixed for rc2. That issue has been in there pre 2020. :D

Richie.
W1JA

Postby W1JA » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:28 pm

Cursor issues:
1. About half the time, the regular + cursor disappears after I stop moving the mouse. It reappears as soon as I move the mouse again, then disappears again about half the time when I stop. And so on. Seems totally random. The issue exists in both the panadapter and the waterfall. I've not tried every (pre-x) version, but this issue has been present at least a version or three back.
2. When I get the <o> cursor inside a receive bandwidth and move it straight down into the waterfall, it stays <o>. I can then move it anywhere in the waterfall and it stays <o>. I don't think this is correct behavior.

73, John W1JA
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:55 pm

W1JA wrote:Cursor issues:
1. About half the time, the regular + cursor disappears after I stop moving the mouse. It reappears as soon as I move the mouse again, then disappears again about half the time when I stop. And so on. Seems totally random. The issue exists in both the panadapter and the waterfall. I've not tried every (pre-x) version, but this issue has been present at least a version or three back.
2. When I get the <o> cursor inside a receive bandwidth and move it straight down into the waterfall, it stays <o>. I can then move it anywhere in the waterfall and it stays <o>. I don't think this is correct behavior.

73, John W1JA

Interesting John.

Problem 1 could be the new directX stuff. Please could you check you have updated screen drivers and/or mouse drivers. Failing that please include screen grab from DxDiag related to the display in use (Display or Display1). Do you have any other hid/mouse devices attached to the machine? I wonder if anyone else has seen this?

Problem 2, yes I can replicate this. I am not sure it will get looked at for this iteration, but will be resolved at some point. Thanks.

Richie.
Last edited by ramdor on Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k5wid

Postby k5wid » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:56 pm

Rich, I found a feature I would like to have, on the 21K9Pre8 and 21K9rc1 upon startup the speaker is muted but the headphones are active. seems only pressing either the VFO TX button or the band button will unmute the speaker. I am not using the VAC and just have the mic in the line in, no other programs running. just started happening with the last 2 releases. but being able the mute the speaker with the headphone active would be a nice feature.
Darrell
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:09 pm

Hmm, all the TX buttons do related to audio is switching the vacIN source for RX1 vs RX2 if needed, setting some vac gains, and initialising the mon levels over vac. Are we talking about the speaker jacks on the back of the radio being muted and headphones in front of the radio still working? Perhaps worth checking if any of it is related to any of that. I don't have anything on the front/back of my 7000 for audio.

Richie.
k5wid

Postby k5wid » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:17 pm

I am using the 8K but yes the speaker jack in the back mutes while the headphone lack in the front is not muted upon startup
Alexander UC

Postby Alexander UC » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:42 pm

Adjusting the spectroscope bin width affects auto AGC.
The set gain RX of the VAC after rebooting the software is lost. After restarting the program, my -20dB settings sound as loud as 0dB. To return - 20dB the setting, it is enough to change 1 dB . Perhaps this is an old mistake.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:00 pm

Alexander UC wrote:Adjusting the spectroscope bin width affects auto AGC.
The set gain RX of the VAC after rebooting the software is lost. After restarting the program, my -20dB settings sound as loud as 0dB. To return - 20dB the setting, it is enough to change 1 dB . Perhaps this is an old mistake.

Not possible for spectroscope to change augoAGC noise floor compensation. The process is only performed once per frame, either in panadapter code, or in waterfall code, no where else.

Perhaps you haven't saved your gain settings by saving the tx profile?

Richie.
W1JA

Postby W1JA » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:00 pm

ramdor wrote:Please could you check you have updated screen drivers and/or mouse drivers. Failing that please include screen grab from DxDiag related to the display in use (Display or Display1). Do you have any other hid/mouse devices attached to the machine? I wonder if anyone else has seen this?
I updated my video card driver to the the latest on the nVidia website earlier this morning - no difference. About mouse driver, Logitech says on their website "all Logitech products work on generic drivers. They do not have specific drivers to install."

Other than keyboard and mouse, no other HID devices. (Unless a MIDI controller counts as an HID device. I have two of them for controlling Thetis.)

Here's the DxDiag screen capture.
W1JA DxDiag.PNG
W1JA DxDiag.PNG (25.57 KiB) Viewed 7076 times

73, John
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:07 pm

k5wid wrote:I am using the 8K but yes the speaker jack in the back mutes while the headphone lack in the front is not muted upon startup

That's really interesting. It is physically possible.

The headphones are fed directly by the TLV320AIC23B CODEC IC that is common to ALL ANAN models. Muting on that output would have to happen in software, as there is no hardware mute line on the CODEC. Gains can be adjusted in the CODEC but I do not believe this is done in Protocol 2, i.e. the audio stream is adjusted in Thetis as required.

The speaker outputs on the back are fed directly by the TPA0202 audio amplifier IC, which again is common to ALL ANAN models. That IC has a mute line coming from the FPGA.

I have not checked the Protocol 2 documentation, but perhaps there is a bit that is set to control the TPA0202 mute line?
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:46 pm

I work CW. Things are good. On spots there is a restructuring of the frequency RX1, RX2.
But, when there is a transmission of CW at the frequency RX2, then the panorama RX1 disappears. Reception of RX1 stations remains.
Attachments
CW_TXRX2_panRX1.jpg
CW_TXRX2_panRX1.jpg (667.2 KiB) Viewed 7060 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:09 pm

I am working on another project for a couple of days/week, so not much will happen beyond rc1 for a bit. It will let the issues filter through.

The fft data going awol when CW is on RX1 and a tx is made through RX2 and DUP off, might be a display engine issue, it might be a stream routing wdsp/analyser issue, not sure yet. Need to go back and test old version of Thetis to find if/when it started. Probably need to test pre directX as well.

• I am still investigating why when using rx1 there is no mon audio when using vfob
  • I am still pondering the missing cursors and researching directX render surface interaction
  • Are 1/4 mono cables ok to come from anan direct to xr18 line in, to test the speaker mute/headphone thing? I have only ever connected an ethernet cable, and coax to the thing :shock:

Richie.
k5wid

Postby k5wid » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:50 pm

Yes on the cables < I send the speaker output from 2 radios(TS-890/Anan8K) to channels 5 and 6 on the XAir12 then out on AUX! thru a Jensen audio transformer to my KRK Rocket speaker. So I just mute either of the channel to kill the speaker. I notice that the MOX ot Tune button will unmute the speaker too.
Darrell
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:01 pm

***Update** It seems to be related to VFO B. VFO B will cause the Log4OM Rig switch to show "2" when tuning Thetis VFO B, but it shows it in the left VFO window of Log4OM. Tune Thetis VFO A will cause Log4OM rig to show "1", and again shows the freq in the left Log4OM vfo. Turn on Thetis VFO Sync and kaboom!

Ritchie, with 21k9rc1 have you tried Log4OM via TCI in this version? As soon as you move freq Log4OM starts to flash the Rig 1/2 selector and the Band window starts flashing the band, then Log4OM locks up.

TunerReminder seems OK though.

Under pre8 this did not do this with Log4OM.
Gary NC3Z
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:59 pm

ramdor wrote:[*]Are 1/4 mono cables ok to come from anan direct to xr18 line in, to test the speaker mute/headphone thing?

I strongly recommend against this! Caution, warning and danger!

The speaker outputs are not mono connectors. They are TRS connectors. Shield is ground. Ring and tip are the output of a bridge-tied, 2W audio amplifier and are suitable for connecting across the voice coil of a speaker ONLY.

You might get away with it, but I wouldn't try it with an expensive XR18 interface.

See the schematic here at the bottom of the page: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3350

I'd recommend whipping up a 1/4" TRS to flying leads and getting a plain old, non-powered speaker to attach.

I have only ever connected an ethernet cable, and coax to the thing :shock:

I very proudly can make the same claim :D
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:16 am

w-u-2-o wrote:
ramdor wrote:[*]Are 1/4 mono cables ok to come from anan direct to xr18 line in, to test the speaker mute/headphone thing?

Thank you Scott. I had vague recollection of something related to this. I will give that a miss then. I will get diff out later and check pre7/pre8 to find out what happened. It is probably the changes to the mon volumes, but not sure how atm.

Richie.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:30 am

NC3Z wrote:***Update** It seems to be related to VFO B. VFO B will cause the Log4OM Rig switch to show "2" when tuning Thetis VFO B, but it shows it in the left VFO window of Log4OM. Tune Thetis VFO A will cause Log4OM rig to show "1", and again shows the freq in the left Log4OM vfo. Turn on Thetis VFO Sync and kaboom!

Ritchie, with 21k9rc1 have you tried Log4OM via TCI in this version? As soon as you move freq Log4OM starts to flash the Rig 1/2 selector and the Band window starts flashing the band, then Log4OM locks up.

TunerReminder seems OK though.

Under pre8 this did not do this with Log4OM.

pre8 had some badly formed messages, so what should have happened didn't. The main issue is to do with the design choice where Thetis RX2 has no VFOa.

I have made some changes which should hopefully improve things and I will get a version out sometime later today.

Here they are : https://youtu.be/UWMaAv2WFnU

***UPDATE 1 : yes, log 4 om switches to the 'rig' that sent it the vfo change. With vfo sync on and RX2 enabled in thetis, it will get a vfo update for RX1 and RX (rig1 and rig2 in Log4om).
***UPDATE 2 : and here is the 1/2 issue with Log4om A bug report needs to go in, perhaps with link to this video showing it. The 1/2 flipping issue occurs with EESdr2 : https://youtu.be/gol-lK1r3Wk

***UPDATE3: I feel the problem is caused because Log4OM asks for RX1 VFOa/b when it switches to rig1 (rx1). It also asks for RX2 VFOa/b when switching to rig2 (rx2). To do so when the user is spinning the rig select up/down control is fine, but not when Log4Om switches due to the fact that it just got sent a frequency for a rig that is not currently shown. If I change thetis not to reply to Log4om's requests for vfo frequencies, then vfosync etc works fine.

Richie.
Last edited by ramdor on Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:44 am

Hi.
ExpertSDR works with one physical receiver, there is no duplex.
Now Thetis can work normally with two physical receivers. Like two independent radios. And this is very good.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:54 am

Yevgeni wrote:Hi.
ExpertSDR works with one physical receiver, there is no duplex.
Now Thetis can work normally with two physical receivers. Like two independent radios. And this is very good.

yes, we know, but nothing to do with anything i've been talking about really. One/two/twentytwo, two vfo's per would make life much easier and streamlined, That said, Log4om is still broken.

Sorry, somewhat frustrated with this at the moment. I'll get a release out later today, but that Log4om issue can not be prevented.

Richie.
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:07 am

Richie, I'm testing TCI with RX4HX log and I don't see any errors yet, Thethys works fine.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:13 am

Yevgeni wrote:Richie, I'm testing TCI with RX4HX log and I don't see any errors yet, Thethys works fine.

Ah that is good. Yes lo4om is broken, requesting VFO frequency when they switch to a different Rig is not good unless the user does it. It can end up causing an endless loop.

I am adding option in TCI config to ignore those equerries so can at least it be made to work with log4om. Sadly, the protocol does not require a client to sent the program name for that client, otherwise we could selectively remove these replies based on client program.

I will report it over on Log4om when account approved.

Richie.
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:49 pm

Hi
Short video TCI Thetis and log RX4HX.
https://youtu.be/ijkQQk9qbQI
Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:00 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:

The speaker outputs are not mono connectors. They are TRS connectors. Shield is ground. Ring and tip are the output of a bridge-tied, 2W audio amplifier and are suitable for connecting across the voice coil of a speaker ONLY.

You might get away with it, but I wouldn't try it with an expensive XR18 interface.

See the schematic here at the bottom of the page: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3350

I'd recommend whipping up a 1/4" TRS to flying leads and getting a plain old, non-powered speaker to attach.[/quote]

Scott, did you mean it safe to tie Ring and Shield together for audio negative and Tip is audio positive?

Thanks, Dan
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:17 pm

Dan wrote:Scott, did you mean it safe to tie Ring and Shield together for audio negative and Tip is audio positive?

Thanks, Dan
Absolutely don't do this. You can damage the amplifier IC.

All: this topic is for bugs and issues. If you've got more questions about speaker outputs, take it to this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3149&p=8251

or start a new one in the Microphones & Speakers sub-forum.

Return to “Thetis”