Thetis v2.8.11 - UPDATES and current issues

W1AEX

Re: Thetis v2.8.11 - current issues

Postby W1AEX » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:39 am

Hi Richie,

I still have the earlier 2.8.11 64-bit version installed and when compared on the desktop to the new 32-bit version (both opened up but not running) the difference in the GUI size with the same resolution setting was easily seen. I confirmed with my screen capture software that something was off with the new release. Hope you can avoid installing the dreaded Paint program!

73, Rob
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:57 am

W1AEX wrote:Hi Richie,

I still have the earlier 2.8.11 64-bit version installed and when compared on the desktop to the new 32-bit version (both opened up but not running) the difference in the GUI size with the same resolution setting was easily seen. I confirmed with my screen capture software that something was off with the new release. Hope you can avoid installing the dreaded Paint program!

73, Rob

yeah it is very odd. I have even started an empty test bed project with the same results. Setting client area works as expected, but not the external form size. Even with some jiggery-pokery using border widths and title bar height the numbers are still off. Will take a look tomorrow ;)
I2NOY

Postby I2NOY » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:40 am

oe3ide wrote:So I also throw in one wish :) Autostart of dx spotting (maybe selectible via setup) would be really great (just using the last settings from the dx-spotting screen and start spotting (ok its not spotting, its "connect to dx-cluster").

And the blue text in the dark menu-strip (if spotting is enabled) is hard to see, maybe light green/light blue would be better.

Thanks!

I quote totally. :)
For us in Europe, I wish I have a check box to select spots coming from Europe only.
I2NOY

Postby I2NOY » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:59 am

@Richie
I am an old IT manager and not a coder but I wonder if the code is compiled with options to use relatively new cpu instructions (AVX, AVX2, etc.) and new hardware. ;)
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:38 pm

I2NOY wrote:@Richie
I am an old IT manager and not a coder but I wonder if the code is compiled with options to use relatively new cpu instructions (AVX, AVX2, etc.) and new hardware. ;)

lots of people probably use cpus without avx. Iirc a release was made with avx compiler options but it was subsequently turned off afaik due to the number of people without support. I've not looked into it, it is something Doug looks at afaik.

Richie.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:40 pm

An interesting metric.

74 copies of the x64 downloaded so far
12 copies of the x86 downloaded so far

Richie.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:26 pm

ramdor wrote:Yep I am not sure if we can set a bit to stop the rear PTT output. I checked the code quickly and all that seem to be available is TXRX relay, and the PA. I'll poke Doug to find out more, and if that fails add some checkboxes to OC to bypass when TUN/2TON.
Recommend these be two different checkboxes, because a common use for two-tone is to check amp drive. Hence a typical workflow would be amp standby with TUN, amp operate with two-tone.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:29 pm

ramdor wrote:An interesting metric.

74 copies of the x64 downloaded so far
12 copies of the x86 downloaded so far

Richie.

Is there anyone actually running a 32-bit system anymore? I can't imagine it.

It might be time to stop the 32-bit builds just to force that issue and find the one person who still is, and then shame them into upgrading ;)

More seriously, it's a lot of extra work to support both builds and it shouldn't be necessary in this day and age.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:53 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
ramdor wrote:Yep I am not sure if we can set a bit to stop the rear PTT output. I checked the code quickly and all that seem to be available is TXRX relay, and the PA. I'll poke Doug to find out more, and if that fails add some checkboxes to OC to bypass when TUN/2TON.
Recommend these be two different checkboxes, because a common use for two-tone is to check amp drive. Hence a typical workflow would be amp standby with TUN, amp operate with two-tone.

Indeed Scott. Yes I was thinking two vertical rows, one for TUN and the other for 2TON.

Richie.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:59 pm

W1AEX wrote:Hi Richie,

73, Rob

Well Rob, I even had to get my brother involved in this as he has looked at such oddities over the years. It is related to the drop shadow of the form. Short story is that we now calculate the size of the shadow using DwmGetWindowAttribute and some jiggery-pokery related to operating system versions and whatnot. It should now be fixed :D

Richie.
Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:14 pm

Richie,
This is a photo of the adjustments of the OC page. It works but I know you could streamline this much better. Thanks for your consideration.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
Attachments
AE0C39C7-BF5C-4D22-B779-C265F99863F5.png
AE0C39C7-BF5C-4D22-B779-C265F99863F5.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 50993 times
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:05 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I would disagree that two-tone is commonly used to check amp drive, as TUN is the intended (and de facto) feature to use for that. In fact, my AL-80B drives much differently using the default two-tone than it does using TUN (though I've never figured out why that is), consequently I never check amp drive with two-tone.

In fact, I hardly ever use two-tone at all, even for PureSignal - I just start talking into the mic and PS engages immediately using voice alone. I haven't used two-tone more than a handful of times since purchasing the radio.

But that's just me.

Mark
I2NOY

Postby I2NOY » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:19 pm

Hi, some small cosmetic corrections on GUI.

Immagine 2021-06-30 170922.jpg
Immagine 2021-06-30 170922.jpg (9.91 KiB) Viewed 50780 times

On left TX button (VFO A) there is a red frame when it is selected and it changes when you pass the mouse over it.
The same on VFO B, but the frame is yellow.

On other buttons this is not present.

P.S.: I noted that TX buttons at right of frequency display of VFO A and B are probably coded inside the program as I don't see them in skin buttons.
Last edited by I2NOY on Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:53 pm

ramdor wrote:Well Rob, I even had to get my brother involved in this as he has looked at such oddities over the years. It is related to the drop shadow of the form. Short story is that we now calculate the size of the shadow using DwmGetWindowAttribute and some jiggery-pokery related to operating system versions and whatnot. It should now be fixed :D

Richie.

Thank goodness for brothers! Thanks for taking a look at that and figuring it all out. When you first implemented that feature I quickly found that having presets is a great help when setting up a quick screen capture on the fly.

73, Rob
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:55 pm

K1LSB wrote:Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I would disagree that two-tone is commonly used to check amp drive, as TUN is the intended (and de facto) feature to use for that. In fact, my AL-80B drives much differently using the default two-tone than it does using TUN (though I've never figured out why that is), consequently I never check amp drive with two-tone.

In fact, I hardly ever use two-tone at all, even for PureSignal - I just start talking into the mic and PS engages immediately using voice alone. I haven't used two-tone more than a handful of times since purchasing the radio.

But that's just me.

Mark
Yup, that's just you ;) I don't want to create thread drift, this being Richie's 2.8.11 Current Issues topic, but you can PM me if you'd like to discuss further, or even start a new topic in the Amp & Tuners sub-forum.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:49 pm

Understood, I'm good, thanks Scott.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:50 pm

Well, doing some testing and this one cropped up :

Can currently CTRL right click on a band to add the current frequency to that band stack. So when on 7.150mhz for example, you can ctrl right click 20m band button and 7.150 will appear in the 20m stack.

After that point, if you are on 40m you cant switch to 20m, because the code will find 7.150 in the 20m band stack and set to that.

:lol:

Richie.
g4xzl

Postby g4xzl » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi Richie,
I have spotted a problem with CTUN and cw modes. In cw mode you get a shift between tx and rx frequencies so that if you tune in to a station at a beat note of 800Hz and you have set the cw pitch frequency setting also to 800Hz, you will transmit with an 800Hz offset so the other station will hear you at 800Hz also, all fine.
If you toggle the CTUN mode on, the tx to rx shift is lost so that the other station will now hear you at zero beat, the qso is then probably lost as you might be out of the rx passband at the other end!
This happened to me the other night and chatting in ssb after the qso they told me I was way off frequency, we all got rather confused until I did some tests on dummy load later!!
I think this problem may have been in the code for a while, I'm not sure, it may be that my regular qso partners may have been very politely using their rit to compensate!!! The work-round it to permanently set the rit to 800Hz, or not use CTUN, neither is very convenient.
If its possible to look into it, it would be much appreciated.
If you need more explanations, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks,
Andrew
G4XZL
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:09 pm

g4xzl wrote:Hi Richie,
I have spotted a problem with CTUN and cw modes. In cw mode you get a shift between tx and rx frequencies so that if you tune in to a station at a beat note of 800Hz and you have set the cw pitch frequency setting also to 800Hz, you will transmit with an 800Hz offset so the other station will hear you at 800Hz also, all fine.
If you toggle the CTUN mode on, the tx to rx shift is lost so that the other station will now hear you at zero beat, the qso is then probably lost as you might be out of the rx passband at the other end!
This happened to me the other night and chatting in ssb after the qso they told me I was way off frequency, we all got rather confused until I did some tests on dummy load later!!
I think this problem may have been in the code for a while, I'm not sure, it may be that my regular qso partners may have been very politely using their rit to compensate!!! The work-round it to permanently set the rit to 800Hz, or not use CTUN, neither is very convenient.
If its possible to look into it, it would be much appreciated.
If you need more explanations, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks,
Andrew
G4XZL

I did some testing Andrew. I could not replicate the problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-VlJdckID0

May need more info or vid (even if phone recording).

Richie.
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:29 pm

Hi
Checked out CW and CTUN. Everything is working correctly.
But there is one mistake that does not affect the QSO.
She is seen in the Richie video.
Attachments
cw_dup_CTUN.jpg
cw_dup_CTUN.jpg (210.54 KiB) Viewed 50863 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:48 pm

Yevgeni wrote:Hi
Checked out CW and CTUN. Everything is working correctly.
But there is one mistake that does not affect the QSO.
She is seen in the Richie video.

nice spot !!! thanks :)

Richie.
g4xzl

Postby g4xzl » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:33 pm

Hi Yevgeni,
Interesting that you do not see the problem of CTUN and cw mode. May I ask how you checked it please?
I had a second radio and both were connected to dummy loads so that I could transmit one to the other?
Thanks,
Andrew
G4XZL
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:50 pm

g4xzl wrote:Hi Yevgeni,
Interesting that you do not see the problem of CTUN and cw mode. May I ask how you checked it please?
I had a second radio and both were connected to dummy loads so that I could transmit one to the other?
Thanks,
Andrew
G4XZL

I guess you missed my reply Andrew? I made a video for you : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-VlJdckID0
g4xzl

Postby g4xzl » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:03 pm

The comments from Yevgeni made me have a think....
I have checked further and found that actually it is occurring when using a transverter with details of LO and gain set in the 'XVTR' menu.
I did not mention this in my original post as I did not realise it would make a difference, apologies I should have.
So to clarify:
When using a transverter with CTUN on and cw mode the tx/rx offset is lost as described in my previous posting.
When just on HF, with CTUN on and cw mode the tx/rx offset is working correctly!
This probably explains why it has not been noticed before as I guess most cw will be direct on HF?
Yevgeni, maybe you could double-check if you see the same with a transverter setting?
I am using a 28-144MHz transverter so the LO setting in the 'XVTR' window is 116MHz.
Thanks,
Andrew
G4XZL
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:06 pm

g4xzl wrote:The comments from Yevgeni made me have a think....
I have checked further and found that actually it is occurring when using a transverter with details of LO and gain set in the 'XVTR' menu.
I did not mention this in my original post as I did not realise it would make a difference, apologies I should have.
So to clarify:
When using a transverter with CTUN on and cw mode the tx/rx offset is lost as described in my previous posting.
When just on HF, with CTUN on and cw mode the tx/rx offset is working correctly!
This probably explains why it has not been noticed before as I guess most cw will be direct on HF?
Yevgeni, maybe you could double-check if you see the same with a transverter setting?
I am using a 28-144MHz transverter so the LO setting in the 'XVTR' window is 116MHz.
Thanks,
Andrew
G4XZL

ok that makes more sense. I will investigate.

Richie.
g4xzl

Postby g4xzl » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:25 pm

Yes, sorry, I missed your video, just watched it now.
Just doing a bit more testing, it seems to transmit on the correct frequency, but not receive. So probably easier to notice if you can transmit between the two radios.
The sdr here is a Hermes board.
Attached a couple of pictures of a second radio transmitting to the Hermes. One if with CTUN off and the other with CTUN on, nothing else changed. I set the Panadpter to peak mode so it was easier to see the signal and take a screenshot.
ctun and cw problem ctun on.png
ctun and cw problem ctun on.png (242.16 KiB) Viewed 50742 times
ctun and cw problem ctun off.png
ctun and cw problem ctun off.png (263.47 KiB) Viewed 50742 times

Transmitting back to the second radio is fine, CTUN on or off has no effect.
If you pretend you have a transverter and transmit on the frequency I used it will really be 28.155 so you can still test with your sunsdr I think?
Thanks,
Andrew
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:53 pm

g4xzl wrote:So to clarify:

I have tested with and w/o xvtr. I can confirm this ctun misbehaviour with xvtr.
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:55 pm

Fixed I think Andrew. Just tested into 2m on the Sun as you suggested. I have sent you a PM with 21b pre-release test build. Please let me know if issue is resolved.

Richie.
Yevgeni

Postby Yevgeni » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:08 pm

Hi

I also see an error CTUN with XVTRs.
The transmission is correct.
Reception frequency error.
Attachments
RX_XVTRs_CTUN.jpg
RX_XVTRs_CTUN.jpg (506.96 KiB) Viewed 50732 times
TX_XVTRs_CTUN.jpg
TX_XVTRs_CTUN.jpg (515.3 KiB) Viewed 50732 times
w3ub

Postby w3ub » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks for all the work Ritchie and others!

I like the improved P1 roadmap, supporting 384k sample rates. If we had that I would ditch P2 and use P1, as I find P2 works, sort of, most of the time, but the more you stress it (higher sampling, PS, diversity) the more the FW timing starts to break.

/Doug

Return to “Thetis”