Thetis v2.9.0 - Updates and Issues

ramdor

Thetis v2.9.0 - Updates and Issues

Postby ramdor » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:41 pm

2.9.0 Updates - latest 2.9.0.6

A new thread and a new approach.

To move to a new version, please uninstall and then reinstall.
(note: uninstalling using add/remove programs, leaves behind your database and does not remove it)

All modified source, releases and issues are now public on github here : https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis-2.9.0

Current known issues are here : https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis-2.9.0/issues. Either report new ones here, or over there.

Richie.

Old Main thread : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3817
Old Wants/Wishes : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3861

[2.9.0.6] https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis-2.9.0/ ... g/v2.9.0.6
-fix: rx2 now has display calibration applied in the level calibration code
-fix: zzzb now runs the 0beat if in collapsed view
-fix: fix for crash if Tdrv was being used as one of the two infoBar buttons
-add: reset button added to level calibration
-change: grid follows nf disabled when performing freq cal / level cal, reenabled at end if previously enabled

[2.9.0.5] https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis-2.9.0/ ... g/v2.9.0.5
fix: filter width slider now works with mouse wheel in both directions
fix: filter shift slider now works with mouse wheel in both directions
fix: fixed issue with TCI band change which sends tx_enable (rx's were flipped)
fix: vhf+ and swl buttons were not showing the button groups in compressed view
fix: tx filter lines not being shown on waterfall in rx
fix: .net socket classes would fail (tci/tcpipcat) if radio hardware not found. Caused by incorrect use of WSACleanup in network.c. WSACleanup closes/terminates all sockets for all threads in this process
fix: start state for RX2 meter set to -200dBm, fixes the S9+60 start
fix: RX1 waterfall was not resized in collapsed view when RX2 was turned off in some cases. This could cause missing or 'overlapped' waterfall display
fix: RX1 panafall waterfall not resized correctly when running RX2 and changing back to panafall in RX1
fix: <FW> showing in collapsed view
fix: RX2 was not having its meter or display calibrations set based on radio model on start up. RX1 was, but not RX2
fix: attenuators now apply to the correct ADC's based on DDC config. This needs testing.
add: emulate ExpertSDR3 in TCI settings. Causes 'protocol' TCI output command to use device ExpertSDR3 instead of Thetis
add: emulate SunSDR2Pro in TCI settings. Causes 'device' TCI output command to use device SunSDR2PRO instead of Anan model
add: passband and rbw dBHz display on infoBar page 2
add: IPv4 IP selection dialog for CAT/TCI/N1MM servers
add: option to turn on/off external speakers on 7000/8000 protocol2 radios. Only in setup atm, but will feature on front end at some point
add: new PA profile system WARNING : check your PA settings before use (https://youtu.be/PlkBoOA5rfQ)
add: split_enabled is now sent on TCI initial connect (requirement for RF-Kit amps)
add: new limit system. Right click drag Drive/Tune slider. Use SHIFT + mouse wheel to adjust +- 1
add: new info added to page2 of infoBar (click to cycle pages). NPSD - noise power spectral density, PBNP - estimated passband noise power, PBSNR - estimated passband snr (s-meterAV - PBNP)
add: dBm/Sunit option for infoBar page2 in General-Options-Options2
add: options for noisefloor sensitivity and offset in General-Options-Options2
add: hold shift when clicking VAC1 to set same state to VAC2
change: 192KHz sample rate check made on the PS loop back (Display PS-RX and PS-TX spectra in linearity form). Note this display will always be centred irrespective of DUP state
change: changed layout of CAT tab(s)
change: fixed some terminology for getUserIxx P2 functions in netinterface.c
change: Tune and 2Tone now have new slider options. You can pick Drive, Tune, or fixed for each
change: infoBar Tdrv changed to PanFill
change: ZZDY cat command removed, code was not being used. Previously known as DX. Note: DownwardExpander is NoiseGate in CAT terms
change: bandstack reset or fresh install will add default 60m entries for US region
change: GridMin to NF only adjusts when the NF has settled. Different to 2.9.0.4

[22a] https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis-2.9.0/ ... g/v2.9.0.1
fix: issue in 21k9c with broadcast VFOA/B(FA/FB commands) was causing truncation of digits if frequency ended in 0's
fix: installer now has Windows7 as minimum os (601)
fix: WindowsFirewallHelper.dll included in the installer
change: split delegate only called if split state changes (fixes unnecessary duplication with ZZSW in AI broadcast + general cat)
Last edited by ramdor on Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 21 times in total.
ramdor

Re: Thetis v2.9.0 - Updates and Issues

Postby ramdor » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:41 pm

Wants/Wishes

If you add a post with a want/wish/good idea, please include WANTWISH in the post. It will make it easy for me to search. Thanks.

On the TODO list (in no specific order)
1) panadaptor blobs become markers, and have management facility and features from spec analysers such as find -3dB either side of marker, next high to the right, next high to the left, delta dBm, etc
2) split up the receivers, starting with display engine, and then moving to the internals of the console (lots of work, probably weeks and weeks if not months)
3) redo all control panels to be movable, and move away from forced spread out structure of UI especially problematic on large displays
5) json or some such output feed for things like streamdecks
5) Multi-meter 'a better meter'
6) Spot colours and improvements to the lines, perhaps with blobs etc, overhaul essentially
7) IF view much like SDR console
8) New modern VFO control + skin-able
9) Setup tidy up
10) Drive power link to TX profile option
11) Insert manual notch from autonotch data. Is this data available - need to investigate
12) timer start on first PTT, and align to interval
13) Path Illustrator - someone will have to take that on. Not for me guv.
14) New updated recording system
15) Wideband update
16) DRM filter extension - investigate
17) FM adjustable RX filters - investigate
18) Customisable stack grids, where filters can be applied to buttons
19) MON on/off for recording playback
20) Calibration Offset store for EXT/INT osc, so that if your ext ref is off you can select the value you stored for that situation.
21) VFO acceleration, much like the 'icom' solution. Rate over time config and speed jumps or linear?
22) RX2 rx audio into VAC1
23) Quick auto split, +/- 5Khz, tx to vfoB, RX left ear, TX (split rx) to right ear
24) Cat? macro button panel
25) passband SNR calculation (peak power in PB? or using dsp signal power?)
26) auto agc set min of grid, however this causes jumps if step size is set, needs investigation
27) dragging splitter of panafall left and right will act the same as if dragging the top numbers
28) enable multi RX option for split mode
29) PA profiles
30) Drive slider limit in OC settings
31) delta sync drag of rx1/rx2 min/max
32) improved grid spacing to make it more readable
33) Copy VFO-A => VFO-B (and B > A, and A <> B) include mode, rx-filter,etc.... enable/disable via setup
34) Count down timers
35) return cw delay to semi break in, remove when qsk, or add two options
36) waterfall palette to use gradient bar so can be configured
37) zoom/pan on gradient control
38) Midi command to swap vfo wheels
39) 5 second tune/tone ?
40) freeze display for screenshot
41) rit/xit overlay and mouse drag/tune
42) unlock gain if value entered into gain multi diversity
43) woodpecker tune tone? investigate
Last edited by ramdor on Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
dl5tt

Postby dl5tt » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:40 am

Hi Richi,

first of all:
Again and again: Thank you very much for your energy, endurance and time in this project.
You did a terrific job the last months. I enjoy your software every day.

Sometimes in "CTUN-mode" the filter window is moving in the oposite direction of the mouse cursor. But I didn't find the rules for this behavior.

73 Josef (DL5TT)

WANTWISH: Automatic tuning of the diversity function (phase and level), but this is a luxury wish.
WANTWISH: Automatic uncheck of the "Lock Gain" check box" in the diversity window, if a value is typed into the "Gain multi:" value box
Last edited by dl5tt on Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Actual system: ANAN-7000DLE MKII Protocol 2, external PC Ryzen 5600G, direct ethernet connection.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:55 am

Thank you for v2.9.0, Richie!

One small issue for me, I can't see any of my Band Stack "receiver stripes" anymore in the spectrum display. They're all still defined in the Band Stack but they aren't displayed. Is there a toggle to turn them on/off in the display?

Thanks again,
Mark
k5wid

Postby k5wid » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:05 am

WANTWISH
1. option to mute rear speaker when using headphones and mon.
2. Option for Tune button to output pulse tone (tuning pecker) for amps with valves/tubes.
Thanks
Darrell
DL1KD

Postby DL1KD » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:07 am

At first, thank you Richi for the great work! :!: :D

Wishlist:
- On homebrew tranceivers like Hermes / Redpitaya etc., free scaleable FWD / REF Power settings.
- Spectrum Zoom. A small window or mousover that displays the spectrum/waterfall for the set RX filter to adequately evaluate signals.

Thank you
73 Alex DL1KD
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:23 am

On the Width filter slider just above the Shift slider. The width slider will only adjust with the mouse wheel in a narrowing direction. It will also adjust in the same direction by clicking the left mouse button in the open area to the left side of the adjuster. The only way it will widen is to left click, hold and drag the adjuster to the right. This may be by design. I wouldn't put this on top of the list. At least not for me.

Thank you for all the hard work you do to make our experiences better in Thetis.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:46 am

dl5tt wrote:Hi Richi,Is it possible to correct the difference between "level at the blobs" and "s-meter-level" automaticaly?
I know, that there is a correlation between the "Bin Width" and the level-difference, but I didn't find the mathematical relationship.
If the Bin Width is on maximum (here 46.8Hz in my version, with protocol 1), the difference is very low (1-2dB), at my normal "Bin Width", which is 2.93Hz at BH 4T, the difference is round about 10 dB.
73 Josef (DL5TT)

Josef: there is nothing to "correct". The values as shown are exactly correct. In the example you show your receiver passband is 400Hz (26dBHz) and it would appear your FFT width is 46.8Hz (16.7dBHz), which is a difference of 9.3dB, and that almost exactly matches what you show in your example (slight differences exist because of noise power in the passband and the effects of FFT windowing).

There is no way, NO way to do what you want. It is mathematically impossible because the peak blob measures the RF power that exists in the resolution bandwidth of the panadapter (approx. equal to a single FFT bin), and the S-meter measures the RF power that exists in the bandwidth of the receiver passband. These are not the same measurements and cannot be made the same.

The math is here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2463

People really need to stop asking for this.

Scott
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:59 am

@ramdor

Richie,

I'm getting this warning with the 2.9.0.1 installer. Is this right?

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.47 KiB) Viewed 15660 times

Cheers,

Scott
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:54 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:@ramdor

Richie,

Cheers,

Scott

I guess so. I have no experience of WiX installer. Looking through the script/xml it requires .net framework v4.8, c runtime v143, perhaps one of those can't be updated without a reboot as being used by something in the system, not sure.

Richie.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:00 pm

K1LSB wrote:Thank you for v2.9.0, Richie!

One small issue for me, I can't see any of my Band Stack "receiver stripes" anymore in the spectrum display. They're all still defined in the Band Stack but they aren't displayed. Is there a toggle to turn them on/off in the display?

Thanks again,
Mark

Hi Mark, I take it that setting didn't migrate? was it switched on in the previous version?

spa.png
spa.png (19.49 KiB) Viewed 15617 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:02 pm

dl5tt wrote:Hi Richi,

And another issue:
Sometimes in "CTUN-mode" the filter window is moving in the oposite direction of the mouse cursor. But I didn't find the rules for this behavior.

73 Josef (DL5TT)

yes I have seen this as well Josef, infrequently. It is on my 'to investigate' list but have not spent any time on it yet.

Richie.
Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:05 pm

The new skin buttons didn't make it over. Made and added.

The 5 channelized frequencies for 60M didn't make it either. Shows 5.354 only. Set and locked them manually in Band Stack.

All else looks perfect so far.

Richie, thanks so much.

73 de KE4WY Jim
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:11 pm

Jim wrote:
The 5 channelized frequencies for 60M didn't make it either. Shows 5.354 only. Set and locked them manually in Band Stack.

Did you have them set up previously in bandstack? The overlay (blue in my case) in the display is based on region and not linked to bandstack.

In fact, if you change region, it will reset all the bandstacks. This is what I see after changing to US.

60m_slots.png
60m_slots.png (41.88 KiB) Viewed 15497 times

Richie.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:25 pm

Starting with a reset database, US region, no previous bandstack information, I also see the same behavior on 60M, and also redid the 60M bandstack to what I wanted.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:26 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Starting with a reset database, US region, no previous bandstack information, I also see the same behavior on 60M, and also redid the 60M bandstack to what I wanted.

you dont see the blue bands?

Richie.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:27 pm

Minor nit: when importing my previously exported transmit profiles into a reset database, the Windows file selector dialog that pops up does not show all mapped drives. I have two physical drives, C and D, and those show up OK. However the drives mapped to my NAS, Y and Z, do not show up. The work-around is to use the Network folder. Still, that is very odd.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:29 pm

ramdor wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:Starting with a reset database, US region, no previous bandstack information, I also see the same behavior on 60M, and also redid the 60M bandstack to what I wanted.

you dont see the blue bands?

Richie.

Yes, the blue bands are there, no problem with that. But in previous versions the bandstack for 60M already contained 5 entries to let you skip through them easily. Not a big deal.
dl5tt

Postby dl5tt » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:55 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
dl5tt wrote:Hi Richi,Is it possible to correct the difference between "level at the blobs" and "s-meter-level" automaticaly?
I know, that there is a correlation between the "Bin Width" and the level-difference, but I didn't find the mathematical relationship.
If the Bin Width is on maximum (here 46.8Hz in my version, with protocol 1), the difference is very low (1-2dB), at my normal "Bin Width", which is 2.93Hz at BH 4T, the difference is round about 10 dB.
73 Josef (DL5TT)

Josef: there is nothing to "correct". The values as shown are exactly correct. In the example you show your receiver passband is 400Hz (26dBHz) and it would appear your FFT width is 46.8Hz (16.7dBHz), which is a difference of 9.3dB, and that almost exactly matches what you show in your example (slight differences exist because of noise power in the passband and the effects of FFT windowing).

There is no way, NO way to do what you want. It is mathematically impossible because the peak blob measures the RF power that exists in the resolution bandwidth of the panadapter (approx. equal to a single FFT bin), and the S-meter measures the RF power that exists in the bandwidth of the receiver passband. These are not the same measurements and cannot be made the same.

The math is here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2463

People really need to stop asking for this.

Scott

Thanks for the information.
I didn't saw this.
73 de Josef
Last edited by dl5tt on Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Actual system: ANAN-7000DLE MKII Protocol 2, external PC Ryzen 5600G, direct ethernet connection.
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:56 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:@ramdor

Richie,

Capture.JPG

Cheers,

Scott

This normal with the installer. There are files that appear being accessed by the system. The installer will either kill the process and continue or
force a reboot.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:04 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Yes, the blue bands are there, no problem with that. But in previous versions the bandstack for 60M already contained 5 entries to let you skip through them easily. Not a big deal.

is this accurate for the US? (the 2800 is bandwidth)

us60m.png
us60m.png (11.07 KiB) Viewed 15461 times

and these for region 2 ?

region2_60m.png
region2_60m.png (22.37 KiB) Viewed 15461 times

Richie.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:18 pm

ramdor wrote:
K1LSB wrote:Thank you for v2.9.0, Richie!

Thanks again,
Mark

Hi Mark, I take it that setting didn't migrate? was it switched on in the previous version?

spa.png

Thanks Richie, I had overlooked that toggle (which apparently didn't migrate), I checked the box and all is good again.

Mark
Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:19 pm

Did you have them set up previously in bandstack? The overlay (blue in my case) in the display is based on region and not linked to bandstack.

In fact, if you change region, it will reset all the bandstacks. This is what I see after changing to US.

60m_slots.png
60m_slots.png (41.88 KiB) Viewed 47 times

Richie.[quote]
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Richie, we had the (5) channels previously in band stack. We had the region set to United States. The (5) blue overlays were there. We went to each overlay and one by one added each as a new entry and locked each one in band stack. Now we can click through each of the (5) 60M frequencies that we added to band stack. All is good.

tnxs de KE4WY Jim
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:52 pm

Richie: the US table you have shown is accurate. I can't speak to the other table.

Just to put a very fine point on it...per the United States (US) Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 47 Chapter I Subchapter D Part 97.303(h)

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-97#p-97.303(h)

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (102.57 KiB) Viewed 15425 times

For those who don't read FCC emission designators, a decoder is available here: https://fccid.io/Emissions-Designator/

SSB telephony (J2E) and data (J2D) signals may (but not must) set their carrier (zero beat) frequency as shown in the table. Due to the sense of the carrier vs. center channel frequencies this implies USB only, but US law is not specific. Total occupied bandwidth may not exceed 2.8KHz. This issue is somewhat confusing, since a 2800Hz bandwidth signal centered at, for example 5332.0KHz would occupy 5330.6 to 5333.4KHz, while a 2800Hz bandwidth signal with a carrier frequency of 5330.5 would occupy 5330.5 to 5333.3. In the face of this rather vague legal direction a de facto standard for J2E and J2D emissions has appeared in most radio implementations as follows: carrier frequency as specified in 97.303(h), SSB passband 100-2900Hz. This causes the occupied bandwidth to be centered at the center frequency of each channel and remain within ±1400Hz of that center frequency, i.e. it does not exceed the 2800Hz bandwidth limit.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:56 pm

rbduck wrote:This normal with the installer. There are files that appear being accessed by the system. The installer will either kill the process and continue or force a reboot.

I was surprised, Ruben. In eight or so years I've never once installed PowerSDR or Thetis and got a message a reboot was necessary.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:01 pm

btw, current ongoing issues are tracked here https://github.com/ramdor/OpenHPSDR-Thetis/issues

Richie.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:12 pm

ramdor wrote:btw, current ongoing issues are tracked here https://github.com/ramdor/OpenHPSDR-Thetis/issues

Richie.

That's great, Richie. Is it OK for people to post issues there if they have a Git account?
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:07 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
ramdor wrote:btw, current ongoing issues are tracked here https://github.com/ramdor/OpenHPSDR-Thetis/issues

Richie.

That's great, Richie. Is it OK for people to post issues there if they have a Git account?

yep !
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:29 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Minor nit: when importing my previously exported transmit profiles into a reset database, the Windows file selector dialog that pops up does not show all mapped drives. I have two physical drives, C and D, and those show up OK. However the drives mapped to my NAS, Y and Z, do not show up. The work-around is to use the Network folder. Still, that is very odd.

Were you running the software with elevated permissions, such as 'As Administrator' ? If so, mapped drives are not shown in file open/save dialogs, according to Microsoft 'by design'. I just tested running Thetis normally and my Z: drive was available. I ran it as Admin and it was not listed.

Whilst the following Microsoft article references Win7 etc, I think it still applies : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/troubl ... ed-command

Richie.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:37 pm

Yes, that's it exactly, Richie. I just duplicated the problem with Libreoffice.

Damn, you learn something new every day! :)

Sorry to bother you with a non-bug! :(

Return to “Thetis”