Thetis v2.9.0 - Updates and Issues

ramdor

Re: Thetis v2.9.0 - Updates and Issues

Postby ramdor » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:00 pm

Joe wrote:Great on the PA alignment feature. Is it anyway possible that say if you only want a max of 50 watts as your example was 20 watts and you scale it as such that you could display the slider as 0 to 50 or the max you want in watts instead of the 100 percent slider display? This would work very well with all models, 8000dle, 7000dle, etc.

Thanks for all,
Joe
WD5Y

:D

100w.png
100w.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 7176 times

20w.png
20w.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 7176 times

400w.png
400w.png (3.64 KiB) Viewed 7176 times

paprof.png
paprof.png (29.53 KiB) Viewed 7176 times
Joe

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:07 pm

Unreal! I don’t know what to say, that was fast. Really looks great. Keeps one from having to figure percentages for different PA max points. I run an amp and want to keep max at or below 60 watts. Nice to know value in watts. Great!

Thanks
Joe
WD5Y
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:16 pm

Joe wrote:I don’t know what to say, that was fast

well, not that fast, about 3hrs to implement this morning.

Richie.
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:46 pm

Richie,

The new PA gain form is awesome! The PA profiles are going to make life a lot simpler for those of us who switch between low-drive amps and amps that need lots more. Very clever setup for getting a more linear response for each band from the drive slider.

Great job!

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
W4GM

Postby W4GM » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:09 pm

SWEET! Thanks Richie!!

Mike
W4GM
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- P2.2.22 Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev2 Latest Edition -- Windows 10 Pro
K9CDR

Postby K9CDR » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:21 am

On 22b(test) with the display in collapsed view with RX1 only active and change the bottom at all from Andromeda buttons to others or none then activating RX2, the RX1 waterfall draws over the RX2. Appears to do with either top display option. Could only replicate this by making any change in the bottom display options first otherwise next time RX2 was activated it displayed normally as it should

Update--I guess that it is more random than anything , because for a while I couldnt get it to display correcly no matter what and then couldnt replicate it for a while after that/.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-04-15 021849.png
Screenshot 2022-04-15 021849.png (2.67 MiB) Viewed 7046 times
Screenshot 2022-04-15 021347.png
Screenshot 2022-04-15 021347.png (4.13 MiB) Viewed 7046 times
Screenshot 2022-04-15 020419.png
Screenshot 2022-04-15 020419.png (3.81 MiB) Viewed 7046 times
Cory K9CDR
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:48 am

K9CDR wrote:On 22b(test) with the display in collapsed view with RX1 only active and change the bottom at all from Andromeda buttons to others or none then activating RX2, the RX1 waterfall draws over the RX2. Appears to do with either top display option. Could only replicate this by making any change in the bottom display options first otherwise next time RX2 was activated it displayed normally as it should

Update--I guess that it is more random than anything , because for a while I couldnt get it to display correcly no matter what and then couldnt replicate it for a while after that/.

Hi Cory, could you keep posts in here to the actual released versions, and not versions that are in active development, it really confuses things, as 99% of people will not be using a self compiled version from wip source. Perhaps start another thread to talk about ongoing dev for not yet released versions.

However, this specific issue, yes I have seen it, but like you was unable to replicate it on demand, much like the reverse vfo drag that happens from time to time. Added to that, I never use collapsed display so have not 'put it through its paces' over the course of development.

Thanks, Richie.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:54 am

ok, there is an issue, quickly discovered perhaps related to the issue you reported Cory. If you are in collapsed view with RX2 enabled, resize the window, then turn RX2 off, RX1 waterfall is not correctly resized.

R.
K9CDR

Postby K9CDR » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:32 am

ramdor wrote:ok, there is an issue, quickly discovered perhaps related to the issue you reported Cory. If you are in collapsed view with RX2 enabled, resize the window, then turn RX2 off, RX1 waterfall is not correctly resized.

R.

OK, glad it wasn't just me. I never use that view either, but was experimenting (since afterall, well enough can never be left alone and ran across that in the process.

message received RE: posting that info here---i just assumed this was the right place to so my apoloiges for that.

Thanks Richie!
Cory K9CDR
K9CDR

Postby K9CDR » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:38 am

ramdor wrote:ok, there is an issue, quickly discovered perhaps related to the issue you reported Cory. If you are in collapsed view with RX2 enabled, resize the window, then turn RX2 off, RX1 waterfall is not correctly resized.

R.

I can replicate the same as you with that sequence as well, though I had to do it a couple times for it to fail to resize..but I am pretty tired so who knows.
Cory K9CDR
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:41 am

K9CDR wrote:message received RE: posting that info here---i just assumed this was the right place to so my apoloiges for that.

Thanks Richie!

best PM tbh, as the issue may be just that the code is in a state of flux, or add the issue over on github.

Yeah i have fixed that issue just now, and the <FW> title bar problem. Adding mouse wheel + shift to move limit slider +- 1 atm.

R.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:42 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
K9RX wrote:-the 2nd number in the blog is the relative signal, relative to the noise floor. Could you add an option to only show this? I ask because the first number - although a technical number, the absolute level in dbm, to the vast majority of stations both using and 'hearing' the info - it is meaningless w/o knowledge of where the noise floor is (or even knowing what it represents/what a dbm is!) ... the relative signal out of the noise floor, in db, however, is useful.
Gary--I'm curious how you plan to use the SNR value? Because it represents an SNR (signal to noise ratio) measured in the RBW (resolution bandwidth--now available on the second "page" of the spectral display status line), it can only be relevant to narrowband signals, such as CW, FT8, RTTY etc. Basically any mode that transmits a single tone at a time. It would be close, off by a few dB, for wider but still narrow signals, like PSK31, depending on the RBW. But it has no mathematical value as an SNR reading for wide signals like SSB or AM.

Scott: Since there IS a second number shown - and my best estimation was that it was showing the signal level relative to the floor - i.e. db above the noise floor - I assumed that all the math had been worked out and it was a genuine number. Where I believe it to be most useful is on CW where it allows me to tell fellow DXers I'm talking to how strong a signal is overall - especially on the low bands. So that they/we have an idea how propagation is working etc.

w-u-2-o wrote:I do definitely agree that SNR ought to become the gold standard for signal reports. S-meter readings are meaningless on an absolute scale because there are too many differences between stations for that to matter.

What might be possibly more useful would be for the S-meter to show, perhaps in the top right corner of it, instantaneous SNR within the passband. It would estimate the passband noise power by taking the noise measurement from the noise display line and scaling it to match the passband bandwidth. ....This SNR value would potential be quite valuable. It could even be shown as both decibels and in S-units. I already give signal reports by looking at my S-meter when the channel is quiet to note the noise level, making reports like "You are 3 S-units above my noise floor".

I also will often give the signal report as S units above the noise floor. People are often confused by the noise floor. When on 80 a signal can be S7 and only barely out of the noise ... so their report might be a 3 x 7. I don't display my digital value of the signal in S units because I'd much prefer that as it goes above S9 that it be graduated a little better - in single digits: S9 + 17 for example. Also I had requested, now a long time ago, that the readout not shift when going above S9. Currently, it centers the text and in doing so if it is just going above and below S9 it is jumping around. I'd much prefer it not jump around like that, leave the "S" where it is and add the value plus the "+" value to its right as is necessary. There isn't a lack of space there, that is for sure. I do like the idea of having a digital value of the passband noise floor but it would often be meaningless I'd think unless the noise floor were 'steady' re splatter and the like.

w-u-2-o wrote:-since the noise floor is known and display-able with a line (nice feature) can you not automatically set the bottom of the pan display to be at that level (maybe +3 or 5 or settable offset)? Noise levels change day to day and via direction - it would be nice to just have the system constantly move the end point (minimum dbm value) automatically, keeping the scale the same. That's a great idea! But how should the top number on the panadapter scale act? Should this just be the equivalent of a left-click-drag on the scale, or should the top number be pinned and only the bottom number change?

I'm not suggesting anything more than just changing the bottom setting. The min dbm. The top value is, I'd suspect, selected to be 'out of the way' the vast majority of time... so having the bottom change vis a vis conditions/directions by as much as 10 db or so isn't going to compress or expand too much. Additionally, it is the noise floor that is changing - not the (possible) peak signal levels directionally etc.

Gary
K9RX
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:58 pm

K9RX wrote:WANTWISH:

-since the noise floor is known and display-able with a line (nice feature) can you not automatically set the bottom of the pan display to be at that level (maybe +3 or 5 or settable offset)? Noise levels change day to day and via direction - it would be nice to just have the system constantly move the end point (minimum dbm value) automatically, keeping the scale the same.

thanks Richie... have a great day/weekend. Gary K9RX

Change-up: I said "constantly move the end point" ... actually no, NOT constantly. This would want to be filtered - a long delayed filter value... sample maybe once every 5 seconds with the average over a minute. Possibly even longer. I'm not looking to have the display jump around in this regard - just that when I change bands, some being noisier at times due to QRN (which we all suffer from to some degree), that if the QRN is or isn't present, this time/day - that the display reflects that. I have one noise source I've yet to find that can shift my noise floor 10 db or more... so when not there the NF is off the screen on the bottom OR when on, if I adjust the noise floor to be just at the bottom, if on now the noise floor is higher up into the window.

Gary
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:33 pm

K9RX wrote:Scott: Since there IS a second number shown - and my best estimation was that it was showing the signal level relative to the floor - i.e. db above the noise floor - I assumed that all the math had been worked out and it was a genuine number.
What it shows is the power level in that RBW bin above the noise floor. If the signal does not fit within an entire bin then it is not the level of the signal, but only that small slice of the signal. It's a genuine number, but maybe not the number you think it is.

I'm sure you've read this already, but if not, I refer you to: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2463

Where I believe it to be most useful is on CW where it allows me to tell fellow DXers I'm talking to how strong a signal is overall - especially on the low bands. So that they/we have an idea how propagation is working etc.
The good news is that for CW this is probably OK. Most CW signals will entirely fit within a single RBW bin.

I do like the idea of having a digital value of the passband noise floor but it would often be meaningless I'd think unless the noise floor were 'steady' re splatter and the like.
You are correct that spatter and the like would make a noise measurement inside of the passband difficult. But I'm proposing that the passband noise value be based on a scaling of the measurement achieved for the display of the noise line. Richie's algorithm for determining a noise floor estimate using the entire panadapter bandwidth is extremely good (you might want to patent that, Richie!).
k6avp

Re: Thetis v2.9.3 Upgraded from 2.8.11 21k7 on ANAN 100B

Postby k6avp » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:57 pm

Just wanted to let users know, I have upgraded my 2.8.11 install to 2.9.3 and it seems to be working fine. It is early, of course (only a few hours on it now), but I like it and have seen no problems. I just exported my old database for comfort. Opened the new download installer and it converted the old database without a hitch. The radio faceplate seems to be a noticeably sharper image with better contrast. I see some new function buttons and displays that would seem to be handy. I really like the automated AGC level function. I think there are less missing data packets (I did, and do, have the Windows throttling variable set to al f's). My firmware is 10.3 and I have not checked yet to see if there is an improved version yet. Should get some tx in tomorrow to see how that goes.

I hope this post is in an appropriate spot. Thanks to everyone that has been involved in getting this version out and keeping it running on the older hw like mine.
W2SDR

Postby W2SDR » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:06 am

Hey Richie,
WANTWISH

Being an avid AM operator a change to the SAM feature would be nice feature.
If there could be a way to have the SAM button either toggle or have a drop down to select USB, LSB, or USB+LSB right from the GUI.
I use the SAM feature all the time, as most of us AMers do.
Thanks!
Frank, W2SDR
dl5tt

Postby dl5tt » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:22 pm

Hey Richie,

I have two wantwishes:
a) Is it possible to get a 5Hz step for the VFOs in CW-mode?
b) Is it possible to make an additional variant concerning the zero beat function: Checkbox for "USE RIT for ZERO beat, only if RIT is ON"? If RIT is off the existing checkbox status and functionality is used.

Btw:
Your new features concerning drive-level and power-meter calibration and multiple power-profiles are great!!!

Josef
Actual system: ANAN-7000DLE MKII Protocol 2, external PC Ryzen 5600G, direct ethernet connection.
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:40 pm

Please show the complete Thetis version at the top left.
i.e. 2.9.0.4 , not only 2.9.0 Thank in advance Rich.

I copy Josef´s request regarding a 5 Hz tune step, imho the 2Hz step can be replaced by 5Hz

r/Leon
73 PD3LK Leon
EA2K

Postby EA2K » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:44 pm

WANTWISH

Hi Richie,

First, many thank for your effort with amainzing improvements in this software.
I have a wish to improve the current RIT/XIT method. When I try adjust the freq. of some operators a bit shifted it seems me a bit uncomfortable of use with the small arrows up/down and mouse when the contacts are quick and many stations. I know with keyboard macros is also possible to use it, but I think could be more intuitive and fast.

Could be implemented the RIT/XIT type slider, similar as the AGC slider with the pointer in the center (0 freq. ) and a configurable Hz range +/- by setup menu?
Like in automatic AGC with the pointer green is activated and we can disable with a click. For example, click one time the pointer of the slider the RIT activated and green pointer, cliking again XIT is activated and a diferent pointer colour, example yellow. Clickling again in the pointer and the XIT/RIT activated at same time red pointer colour, and on next click all disable, grey pointer, or a right click mouse disable all in any time and maybe only a small button or a double click to reset at 0 the freq..., or more simple only adding the slider and maintaining small buttons RIT-XIT-0

Thanks
Jose
EA2K
Last edited by EA2K on Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:30 am

Thanks for all the wants/wishes.

Some are easier to implement than others. Take the 5Hz step size for example. On the surface it looks trivial to implement this, just insert it into the list right?. However, Thetis stores the stepsize as the index number into that list. So everyone that had 50Hz selected for example (stored as 4 in the database), will now see 25Hz instead when the addition step is is inserted into the list.

existing

0 1Hz
1 2Hz
2 10Hz
3 25Hz
4 50Hz

becomes

0 1Hz
1 2Hz
2 5Hz
3 10Hz
4 25Hz
5 50Hz

However, Leon's solution would make the change trivial, other than people who use 2Hz now can not.

RIchie.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:12 am

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but how can I get the RX2 S-ATT value to be band-specific like RX1 S-ATT?

Thanks,
Mark
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:11 am

K1LSB wrote:Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but how can I get the RX2 S-ATT value to be band-specific like RX1 S-ATT?

Thanks,
Mark

it is broken atm, looking into it
dl5tt

Postby dl5tt » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:27 am

ramdor wrote:Thanks for all the wants/wishes.

Some are easier to implement than others. Take the 5Hz step size for example. On the surface it looks trivial to implement this, just insert it into the list right?. However, Thetis stores the stepsize as the index number into that list. So everyone that had 50Hz selected for example (stored as 4 in the database), will now see 25Hz instead when the addition step is is inserted into the list.

existing

0 1Hz
1 2Hz
2 10Hz
3 25Hz
4 50Hz

becomes

0 1Hz
1 2Hz
2 5Hz
3 10Hz
4 25Hz
5 50Hz

However, Leon's solution would make the change trivial, other than people who use 2Hz now can not.

RIchie.

Hey Richie,
I think that we can replace 2Hz by 5Hz, to keep it easy.
73 Josef
Actual system: ANAN-7000DLE MKII Protocol 2, external PC Ryzen 5600G, direct ethernet connection.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:38 pm

Richie,
So.... you say someone that has 50Hz would see 25Hz... but wouldn't that be a one time thing? I.e. he loads a new program that includes this change - and restarts the program now his step size, previously at 50, is at 25... so he clicks/changes it to 50 and he's done, correct? All is well again? Its a one time thing, correct?

Although if necessary I would say replacing 2 with 5 is ok... but if I'm understanding the implications of keeping 2 then it seems rather benign and correct-able... forgive me if wrong.

Note 1 works as well as 2 (and I DO most certainly use 1 when on 160M for a weak CW station using SPECTRUM to be sure the station is perfectly centered so would not want to give that up) ... it seems keeping the 1, 2, 5, 10 scheme would make a bit more sense long term.

Gary
K9RX
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:26 pm

yes, it would assign a lower shift for all bands that have been set as 10 or above. So one would need to adjust all those bands.

It can be worked around, but instead of a 5 min job, it becomes an hour+. The seemingly trivial often are not unfortunately.

R.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:39 pm

AN UPDATED PRE-RELEASE 2.9.0.4

There is a test pre release over on my github. If you have tried any previous 2.9.0.4 test release then you will need to un-install before installing this new one.

https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis-2.9.0/ ... .9.0.4-pre

Skins :
W1AEX Rob Skins - http://www.w1aex.com/hpsdr/hpsdr.html
OE3IDE : https://www.oe3ide.com/wp/thetis-skin/
My IK3VIG updated buttons : over with the github release

Important info : Make sure you backup your DB !! This version makes changes and removes old settings automatically.

1) After you update, make sure you check your PA settings, your old settings should default into your radio model in the new PA profile system
Vid 1 : https://youtu.be/2VFeawGZ-is
Vid 2 : https://youtu.be/PlkBoOA5rfQ (more in depth, but older)

2) Attenuation code has changed, in an attempt to resolve the ADC issue. If you have issues, please post with radio model, and take screenshot of ADC setting tab. All the info I need will be on that tab. If you need to, revert back to the version you were using before and the database you backed up. If you remember we tried this back in 21d and we rolled the changes back.
Vid : https://youtu.be/aoGRiH_ZwGk

Cheers, Richie.

[rev4]
fix: filter width slider now works with mouse wheel in both directions
fix: filter shift slider now works with mouse wheel in both directions
fix: fixed issue with TCI band change which sends tx_enable (rx's were flipped)
fix: vhf+ and swl buttons were not showing the button groups in compressed view
fix: tx filter lines not being shown on waterfall in rx
fix: .net socket classes would fail (tci/tcpipcat) if radio hardware not found. Caused by incorrect use of WSACleanup in network.c. WSACleanup closes/terminates all sockets for all threads in this process
fix: start state for RX2 meter set to -200dBm, fixes the S9+60 start
fix: RX1 waterfall was not resized in collapsed view when RX2 was turned off in some cases. This could cause missing or 'overlapped' waterfall display
fix: <FW> showing in collapsed view
fix: RX2 was not having its meter or display calibrations set based on radio model on start up. RX1 was, but not RX2
fix: attenuators now apply to the correct ADC's based on DDC config. This needs testing.
add: emulate ExpertSDR3 in TCI settings. Causes 'protocol' TCI output command to use device ExpertSDR3 instead of Thetis
add: emulate SunSDR2Pro in TCI settings. Causes 'device' TCI output command to use device SunSDR2PRO instead of Anan model
add: passband and rbw dBHz display on infoBar page 2
add: IPv4 IP selection dialog for CAT/TCI/N1MM servers
add: option to turn on/off external speakers on 7000/8000 protocol2 radios. Only in setup atm, but will feature on front end at some point
add: new PA profile system WARNING : check your PA settings before use (https://youtu.be/PlkBoOA5rfQ)
add: split_enabled is now sent on TCI initial connect
add: new limit system. Right click drag Drive/Tune slider. Use SHIFT + mouse wheel to adjust +- 1
add: new info added to page2 of infoBar (click to cycle pages). NPSD - noise power spectral density, PBNP - estimated passband noise power, PBSNR - estimated passband snr (s-meterAV - PBNP)
add: dBm/Sunit option for infoBar page2 in General-Options-Options2
add: options for noisefloor sensitivity and offset in General-Options-Options2
add: hold shift when clicking VAC1 to set same state to VAC2
change: 192KHz sample rate check made on the PS loop back (Display PS-RX and PS-TX spectra in linearity form). Note this display will always be centred irrespective of DUP state
change: changed layout of CAT tab(s)
change: fixed some terminology for getUserIxx P2 functions in netinterface.c
change: Tune and 2Tone now have new slider options. You can pick Drive, Tune, or fixed for each
change: infoBar Tdrv changed to PanFill
change: ZZDY cat command removed, code was not being used. Previously known as DX. Note: DownwardExpander is NoiseGate in CAT terms
Last edited by ramdor on Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:13 pm

Great job Richie!

All my skins are updated (new Tune/2Tone Slider, some other tweaks):
https://www.oe3ide.com/wp/thetis-skin/

73 Ernst
k6avp

Postby k6avp » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:38 pm

V2.9.4 installed on Win10 and working with my ANAN 100B. Default PA settings for the 100B are reasonable, but not as fine tuned as my previous ones (Thanks for reminder to save them). Seems to be working fine so far.
dl5tt

Postby dl5tt » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:23 pm

Hey Richie,

tnx for your new pre release.
I have 2 questions:
a) I dont have a slider for tuning power
2022-04-17 20_14_00-Window.png
2022-04-17 20_14_00-Window.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 6318 times

I am using IK3VIG-skin. Can I copy an existing slider with new names? (I hope this is not a to stupid question)

b) the slider for Width works only in both directions, if Low is at 0 (zero). If low is greater 0, the mouse wheel doesn't increase the the width
2022-04-17 20_15_36-Window.png
2022-04-17 20_15_36-Window.png (14.89 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
or did I misunderstand the function?

73 Josef
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:26 pm

Josef, you can copy
ptbAF-head.png to ptbTune-head.png
and
ptbAF-back.png to ptbTune-back.png

73 Ernst

Return to “Thetis”