Thetis 2.9.0 Released (updates--see first post & now with link to Beta versions)

ramdor

Re: Thetis 2.9.0 Released (updates--see first post)

Postby ramdor » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:14 pm

Tapr releases

2.9.0.1 was missed out because I had used that for 22a

2.9.0.2 included the dll + windows7 changes but missed out the broadcast/split changes

2.9.0.3 included all from 2.9.0.2 plus the fixes for the Broadcast cat issue and the split duplication problem from my 22a

Richie.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:39 pm

Brilliant Richie, thank you. I will update the first post accordingly.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:09 pm

W9BHI wrote:Just for asking, do I just install the newest version .msi or should I uninstall the previous version?
It appears to just overwrite the previous version (I guess)
Thanks
You can just install over the top of the existing version. As long as there are no special instructions in the announcement of the latest version, database importation should be automatic.

However, it always pays to have a backup. Backing things up is easy. Instructions for backing up the 64 bit version:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\OpenHPSDR. This is where the actual program files reside.
2. Make a copy of the Thetis folder, name it something like "Thetis Backup 4APR22". Windows ask you to provide administrator permission, give it that permission by clicking "Continue".
3. Go to C:\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR. This is where all of your settings reside.
4. Make a copy of the Thetis-x64 folder, name it something like "Thetis-x64 Backup 4 APR22".

Install the new version over the top of the old version. If everything goes to hell, then to go backwards:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\OpenHPSDR. This is where the actual program files reside.
2. Delete the Thetis folder. Windows ask you to provide administrator permission, give it that permission by clicking "Continue".
3. Make a copy of the backup folder you have there (again it will ask for permission) and rename that new copy of the folder "Thetis".
4. Go to C:\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR. This is where all of your settings reside.
5. Delete the Thetis-x64 folder.
6. Make a copy of the backup folder you have there and rename that new copy of the folder "Thetis-x64".

Now when you run Thetis it will be right back where you were when you made the backup.

You can actually have as many of these backups as you have disk space for. When Richie was furiously popping out new beta versions I had a set of backup folders for every version. By spending 2 or 3 minutes copying and pasting I could jump back and forth between versions at will.
KA5KKT

Postby KA5KKT » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:29 pm

ramdor wrote:Tapr releases

2.9.0.1 was missed out because I had used that for 22a

2.9.0.2 included the dll + windows7 changes but missed out the broadcast/split changes

2.9.0.3 included all from 2.9.0.2 plus the fixes for the Broadcast cat issue and the split duplication problem from my 22a

Richie.

For what it is worth, I compared both 2.9.0.2 and 2.9.0.3 for any difference in size, size on disk, and number of files (per Windows Defender). All three figures were / are identical...unless I am guilty of some oversight. Perhaps that is as it should be.
W2SDR

Postby W2SDR » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:39 pm

What is the black box in the CFC window for?
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:51 pm

W2SDR wrote:What is the black box in the CFC window for?

It is a very basic display of how much dB compression is being applied to the frequency range defined for the cfc. With single power forced to a narrow frequency it should peak at approx. value that is seen in cfc comp tx meter. It is only in use when TX'ing and cfc comp is on.

Richie.
DL8LAQ

Re: Thetis 2.9.0 Released!

Postby DL8LAQ » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:05 pm

ramdor wrote:
DL8LAQ wrote:
oe3ide wrote:
you have been warned.jpg

It's a useless feature!

In your opinion ;)

Richie.

I understand :-) No problem with it!
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:52 pm

I have looked at the code again Norbert , and refreshed my memory on it as it has been a while. I will change it at some point to have a button to clear them, but it will take a bit to code the changes. I understand the frustration with it. I have added as an issue to github, so will be changed in next couple of weeks.

R.
mike b

Postby mike b » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 pm

after a few patches back my thetis will not shut down properly it hangs on please wait ...thetis is closing down.. i have to use ctrl alt del and force it closed,is there a easy way to find out why it is hanging? also is their plans to put the vac back the way it was so it does not break the audio path if you change tx profiles we talked about it a few weeks back , thanks 73 n8obu
W2SDR

Postby W2SDR » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:01 pm

My center mouse button on my trackball no longer can set a MNF since the update. What am I doing wrong?
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:06 pm

W2SDR wrote:My center mouse button on my trackball no longer can set a MNF since the update. What am I doing wrong?

ctrl right click to add 200Hz
ctrl shift right click to add 100Hz
middle mouse to enable/disable a notch
shift middle to remove
or +MNF button to add in passband

you can also right click on a notch to bring up a popup, and drag the edges of them if you have enough zoom (although the edges dont highlight right now), oh and drag them around if you need them moved

notchPopup.png
notchPopup.png (12.03 KiB) Viewed 10833 times

Richie.
Last edited by ramdor on Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
W2SDR

Postby W2SDR » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:11 pm

TNX!
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:34 pm

mike b wrote:also is their plans to put the vac back the way it was so it does not break the audio path if you change tx profiles we talked about it a few weeks back , thanks 73 n8obu
What do you mean by this, Mike? VAC does exactly what TX Profiles tells it to do. If you haven't made sure all of your profiles are saved with the proper VAC configuration for the profile, and if you haven't made sure that each Band Stack entry has the correct mode assigned to it, then you are going to get poor results.

Also, do you have any of the TX Profile auto save options enabled in Setup > Transmit. If you do that can often lead to a lot of heartache because your profiles will often change without you realizing. I recommend those be turned off and only explicitly use the profile save button as required.

Edited to say mode is stored with bandstack, not TX Profile. But TX Profiles are stored against mode, so almost the same difference, but not quite :D
K9CDR

Postby K9CDR » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:22 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
mike b wrote:also is their plans to put the vac back the way it was so it does not break the audio path if you change tx profiles we talked about it a few weeks back , thanks 73 n8obu
What do you mean by this, Mike? VAC does exactly what TX Profiles tells it to do. If you haven't made sure all of your profiles are saved with the proper VAC configuration for the profile, and if you haven't made sure that each Band Stack entry has the correct mode assigned to it, then you are going to get poor results.

Also, do you have any of the TX Profile auto save options enabled in Setup > Transmit. If you do that can often lead to a lot of heartache because your profiles will often change without you realizing. I recommend those be turned off and only explicitly use the profile save button as required.

Edited to say mode is stored with bandstack, not TX Profile. But TX Profiles are stored against mode, so almost the same difference, but not quite :D

This was his description from the other thread about this if it helps any.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3817&start=1530#p18682
Cory K9CDR
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:10 am

K9CDR wrote:This was his description from the other thread about this if it helps any.
I'm not seeing any posts from Mike at that link.
mike b

Postby mike b » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:08 pm

ramdor

Re: Thetis v2.8.11 - UPDATES and current issues

Report this post

Postby ramdor » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:17 pm
vac switches off for a tx profile change, and will switch back on after all the adjustments are made as far as I can remember. I could make a check to see if the upcoming vac has all the same settings and not turn it off / on if that is the case, but that is not done atm.

A device is swapped in along with the vac if you have 'restore vac device details from TX Profile' enabled in the Transmit tab.

I cant remember without looking at the logs, but I don't think any changes were made between rc3 and rc4 with the vac stuff.

Perhaps someone else has some info about odd issues like mike is having?

edit: aye what Scott said ;) thanks Scott.

Cheers, Richie.

w-u-2-o

Report this post

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:35 pm
I believe that VAC does a reset on any TX profile switch. But that hasn't changed since before Adam was born ;) so it shouldn't be a factor.

Before the advent of Voicemeeter I used to use Jack on Windows. I don't remember it being that well behaved, but perhaps the Jack of today is much better than I remember.

ramdor

Report this post

Postby ramdor » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:05 pm
@scott lol, yes certainly before he was a boy. Just a bit of info, during the speed up process of 21k9d the vac/txprofile load changed slightly.

Prior to 21k9d if a new TX profile was selected that had the same VAC enable state as the one already in use, then the enabled state would be applied anyway. Consequently when each buffer change/etc/etc was loaded and applied, and due to vac being potentially enabled, it could take quite a long time to make the change, causing all sorts of nice debug log as audio devices and buffers changed whilst in use.

Since 21k9d vac is explicitly turned off prior to reading in all the TX profile vac settings, and then turned back on if that new profile requires it.

So there is a subtle difference before and after 21k9d, however it could be improved by checking if anything is different in the about to be selected TX profile vac settings. I will probably add that in at some point, so that an unnecessary turn off can be skipped.

R.
mike b

Postby mike b » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:28 pm

we talked about this on page 52 of the last thread about 3/4 of the way down the page photos are posted there too , this is not just a i did not save it issue,, RAMDOR stated he made changes that causes this in his post and he could change it back too.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:53 pm

1) all tx profiles have associated audio devices with them
2) they are only recovered and applied IF the global setting is configured to do that
3) all VAC's will switch off if a TX profile is selected. This happens just before any TX profile settings are applied from that profile
4) VAC's will switch back on if the new TX profile being selected has them set as ON

Point 3) will only happen IF a setting in the incoming TX profile has ANY differences in any VAC setting (only vac settings are compared)
^^^ has been implemented already in 2.9.0+

The main reason for this was because PureAudio was doing a vast amount of work as sample rates, buffers, etcetc changed on the fly. Now it gets shut down, changes applied, then turned back on if needed.

Richie.
Last edited by ramdor on Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:54 pm

mike b wrote:we talked about this on page 52 of the last thread about 3/4 of the way down the page photos are posted there too , this is not just a i did not save it issue,, RAMDOR stated he made changes that causes this in his post and he could change it back too.

Thus the correct URL is viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3817&start=1560

Richie did not exactly say he would change it back. He wrote:

ramdor wrote:So there is a subtle difference before and after 21k9d, however it could be improved by checking if anything is different in the about to be selected TX profile vac settings. I will probably add that in at some point, so that an unnecessary turn off can be skipped.

So that is a change, but not entirely back the way it was.

However, it would appear that only Jack is affected by this behavior, because nobody else is reporting it with Voicemeeter, VB Cable, Muzy VAC, etc.

However, however...there is this topic, I wonder if they are somehow related??? https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4138
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:05 pm

There is one issue I know about related to the devices being stored in the profile, in that if you don't recover them with the profile, you could end up with different devices stored into the profile next save. It needs resolving, and is on the list, but quite a way down (ordered by self interest somewhat, sorry to say).

Richie.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:16 pm

As a side note another reason to do it was because changing mode may cause a TX profile change. Having this take longer than it should (PureA very busy) was something I tried to minimise in recent months.
K9CDR

Postby K9CDR » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:33 am

w-u-2-o wrote:
K9CDR wrote:This was his description from the other thread about this if it helps any.
I'm not seeing any posts from Mike at that link.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220407-193054_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20220407-193054_Firefox.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 10668 times
Screenshot_20220407-193050_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20220407-193050_Firefox.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 10668 times
Cory K9CDR
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:08 am

Thank you Cory, but if you had read my post above you would have seen I identified the correct post already and you wouldn't have had to work so hard ;)
K9CDR

Postby K9CDR » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:13 am

w-u-2-o wrote:Thank you Cory, but if you had read my post above you would have seen I identified the correct post already and you wouldn't have had to work so hard ;)

lol I of course see that now, it turns out that is easy when a person actually is looking and paying attention which ADHD tends to make both difficult most of the time :shock: . I do thank you Scott! The link I posted that you tried I had just coped the URL from the address bar in Firefox when I had his posts up in the other thread so I'm not sure where i went wrong there if you werent seeing his posts.I'll get the training wheels off soon!

Edit- NVM I figured out after reading this after posting about the link--i just took URL from that page or topin vs the link address of the specific post-- :idea:
Cory K9CDR
Pete4638

Postby Pete4638 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:46 pm

W1AEX wrote:The installer is choking on my Windows 7 installation. Any thoughts on a workaround for this?

Thanks,

Rob W1AEX

Just a wild guess, but have you tried running the installation program as an administrator? I think that the issue is more about the age of Windows 7 relative to current Windows OS's and how they function, though. I installed it on a relatively new laptop running Windows 11. The installation of 2.9.0 was flawless.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:52 pm

Pete4638 wrote:
W1AEX wrote:The installer is choking on my Windows 7 installation. Any thoughts on a workaround for this?

Thanks,

Rob W1AEX

Just a wild guess, but have you tried running the installation program as an administrator? I think that the issue is more about the age of Windows 7 relative to current Windows OS's and how they function, though. I installed it on a relatively new laptop running Windows 11. The installation of 2.9.0 was flawless.

was fixed a while ago, was caused by 2.9.0 installer not having correct minimum level of operating system set. 2.9.0.3 is the most recent on TAPR which fixes this and some other problems. tbh, we should probably remove those other installers.

Richie.
m0cpy

Postby m0cpy » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:44 am

Anyone else seeing that the pa settings don't seem to work. Is there a fix for this ? Cheers Richie top man with the updates
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:53 am

m0cpy wrote:Anyone else seeing that the pa settings don't seem to work. Is there a fix for this ? Cheers Richie top man with the updates

Works as designed here.

73 Ernst
m0cpy

Postby m0cpy » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:39 am

Hi Ernst, thanks for looking at this. it use to work fine, but when I alter the setting nothing seems to happen? my radio is doing 300w flat-out. I have to turn the drive level right down to 1% and its still doing 10watts. I will have to look into this Cheers

Andy M0CPY
m0cpy

Postby m0cpy » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:25 pm

after doing some investigation work it looks like its only 10m that seems to be affected regarding pa setting. Anyone else seeing this

cheers
Andy M0CPY

Return to “Thetis”