Thetis 2.9.0.x not seeing Touch events on Andromeda

wevets@gmail.com

Thetis 2.9.0.x not seeing Touch events on Andromeda

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Mon May 30, 2022 5:12 pm

I am now the proud owner of a couple week-old Andromeda system.

I upgraded from 2.8.11that came with the radio (and understood touch events on the Thetis application).

Now all that works are the buttons/knobs of the Andromeda front panel and Mouse clicks. Thetis doesn't see touch-screen based manipulation.

1) Has anyone else seen this?
2) Does anyone know of any settings or changes that I need to make in the Setup to fix this?

Thanks,

Steve KA6S
w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis 2.9.0.x not seeing Touch events

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon May 30, 2022 7:51 pm

Adding "Andromeda" into your title to make it more descriptive...
w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis 2.9.0.x not seeing Touch events on Andromeda

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon May 30, 2022 7:55 pm

Perhaps these settings need to be adjusted?

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (76.5 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
wevets@gmail.com

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Mon May 30, 2022 10:16 pm

Scott - thanks for trying - but that merely enables the buttons/knobs apparently.

If I unset the "Enable Panel" that stops the buttons and knobs from working.

Edit Controls allows you to change the button/knob command functions - which I'm leaving alone for now.

Thanks,

Steve
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon May 30, 2022 11:11 pm

If you go back to 2.8.11 does it start working again?
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Tue May 31, 2022 7:47 am

Steve,
your touch screen problem has nothing to do with Thetis. It's more or less Windows related. If the display's touch controller (mini-USB Type B connector) is properly connected and the driver for it is installed, you should see the "HID-compliant touch screen" entry in Device Manager.
Also make sure the driver is enabled.

hid.JPG
hid.JPG (25.6 KiB) Viewed 2077 times

If this is not the case, you should open the Andromeda to make sure the display is wired correctly. If no touch controller is detected, it is possible that the USB connector has slipped out. If detected, Windows will normally install the standard HID Touch driver.

newhaven.JPG
newhaven.JPG (128.93 KiB) Viewed 2077 times

If everything is fine, you should check the "Tablet PC Settings" in the Control Panel. If more displays are connected it is important that the "Mobile PC Display" entry is visible under "Display options". If that's the case, you can now calibrate the touch screen.

tablet.JPG
tablet.JPG (28.68 KiB) Viewed 2077 times

I assume Win10 is installed.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue May 31, 2022 2:38 pm

That's great stuff, Sigi. And, when you think about it, simple. Touchscreens produce essentially the same messages into the system as mice. Cursor position and left mouse button down/up, which are then passed to all applications including Thetis. This is most likely not a Thetis problem at all and the problem is merely coincidental with Steve's update to 2.9.0.6.

It would be interesting to know if this is as simple as a loose connector just in case other Andromeda owners might have the same problem.
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Tue May 31, 2022 5:32 pm

Sometimes touchscreen setup can be a bit tricky when more displays are involved, it happens in Win10 and especially in Win11 where MS decided to remove tablet mode. In Win11, a so-called "tablet mode" is only active if there is no physical keyboard. :roll:
I don't know what Windows version Apache Labs Andromeda runs on.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
wevets@gmail.com

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:22 am

Sigi,

Thanks so much for the education! However - you weren't quite on the mark - close!

I had contacted Laurence and K'jell and asked them the same question. They both duplicated my setup locally and didn't find any misbehavior in Thetis - so then I got to thinking along Sigi's line. Found the Touchscreen settings in Device Manager and didn't fix anything.

I then did an experiment to rule out it being Thetis all together - I moved another small app over to the Internal screen (note I'm running both an internal and external screen) and tried controlling the other app - well it had the same issue. It completely ignored the touch input. Now I knew it was a system problem.

Well - what I had mistaken for the screen working was actually due to the touch screen following the MAIN screen. What I did was to define the external screen as my main screen - Whoops! The coincident behavior was me hitting the same control buttons on the task bar on BOTH screens, but really on the external screen. That was the problem. Turns out the touch screen control follows the MAIN screen definition. I was controlling the mouse on my external screen and didn't realize it. Once I redefined the internal screen as my main screen all is well with the world again.

I want to thank everyone for their efforts!

73s de Steve KA6S

Return to “Thetis”