Anan 7000dlemk2

ka1sdr

Anan 7000dlemk2

Postby ka1sdr » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:16 pm

just ordered a new anan can i run thetis with this right out of the box or do i have to load something into the radio first been a flex guy for years trying something new thank you for any help.
w-u-2-o

Re: Anan 7000dlemk2

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:12 pm

You can run Thetis right out of the box.

Thetis supports all versions of openHPSDR firmware and it will work with any Apache hardware, old or new.

Eventually you will want to upgrade the firmware in the 7000 but I recommend making friends with it as is first.

P.S. it will be a very different experience compared to the Flex.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:19 pm

You should be able to use Thetis out of the box. But, you may have to update the firmware in the radio to use Protocol 2. I would suggest, being a fairly new Anan user myself, that you download the Owners Manual for your radio. Read it thoroughly. It won't be up to date to the latest version of Thetis. So, read the different forums here to help get familiar with the radio and software.
It can be a bit overwhelming coming from a Flex to an Anan radio. You will find it is much more involved to get it set up and working the way you want. But, I find it is worth the time and effort to get an Anan going.
Once you get the basics going, you can extend the radio and it's performance quit a bit.
If you don't already have a good computer with a multi core processor and plenty of memory, that would be something to improve upon to get better operation. Unlike the Flex radios, the Anan radios need a more powerful computer since everything is done in the computer.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. But, read,read,read, all you can here on the forums.
James
WD5GWY
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:18 pm

Yes read read read... so don't try Protocol 2 on the newer 7000's.

r/Leon
73 PD3LK Leon
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:23 pm

PD3LK wrote:Yes read read read... so don't try Protocol 2 on the newer 7000's.
Negative! Read more carefully.

I wrote "Eventually you will want to upgrade the firmware in the 7000 but I recommend making friends with it as is first." That does not mean "don't try Protocol 2", or that you can't run P2 on a newer 7000. It means try Protocol 1 (the firmware it comes with) first, then when you are comfortable think about upgrading.

My rationale is that if you either a) make a mistake in upgrading and/or b) for some reason your particular serial number is one that is picky about the specific version of Protocol 2 firmware it will run, then in either case this is going to potentially sour you on the whole deal. Instead, see how good it is first, then you'll have the motivation to work through any difficulties that you might encounter with a P2 upgrade.

The other part of this rational is that, coming over from the Flex, it's possible you will be overwhelmed by the highly technical nature of these radios. With over 40 setup screens and a complex (and somewhat dated looking) user interface, there are far more options for both receive and transmit signal processing and display than there are on the Flex. At the same time it doesn't do other things as well or as easily than the Flex. These are radios for tuners, tweakers, those who want to be on the bleeding edge of state-of-the-art DSP. They are not the simple appliances that the Flex radios are. So, again, make friends with what you have first, then upgrade to P2. The only thing you are really missing with P2 are the higher IF sample rates (panadapter bandwidths).
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:56 pm

i reply'd to Trucker ;)
73 PD3LK Leon
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:57 pm

PD3LK wrote:i reply'd to Trucker ;)

He didn't write "don't use Protocol 2 on newer 7000's" either ;)
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:10 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
PD3LK wrote:i reply'd to Trucker ;)

He didn't write "don't use Protocol 2 on newer 7000's" either ;)

No, I did not. My only contribution was to read as much as possible before getting the new radio. Having been a long time Flex user, ( currently using a Flex 6600M and 5000A)I know first hand how overwhelming seting up Thetis can be. And even though I also own and use a Flex 5000A, which has its own complexity because of the Firewire interface, I found all the additional setup for an Anan, including calibrating the PA, to be a bit more complex than I had anticipated.
But, given the differences in features that make my operating experience more enjoyable, I find that the effort to setup my 8000DLE well worth the time and money spent.
James
WD5GWY
wx7y

Postby wx7y » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:58 am

Sorry, this is a bit long, but this is from a NEW Thetis User with maybe some Newbie suggestions.

This thread hits home, and the previous posts are spot on other than to "not try the new Protocol 2" you want to give it a go and by the time you receive your radio Protocol 2 will have some Wisker and any fixes will be done. This is my 2nd ANAN7K and the REV3 NEW radio I had had a bad TX problems so returned it for refund and found the REV2 used radio with a late Serial number. The problems I had were from a FAULTY radio not the firmware Protocol 2, there has been a lot of people with their new REV3 radios have had no issues with Protocol2.

The learning curve coming from SmartSDR is not too bad if you spend some time and not try to rush things and really learn what does what.

I still run my OLD 7 year old FLEX6700 and enjoy both Radio's about equally (so much better than the 6600M that I sold to get the ANAN7K) and without being unfair to either brand SmartSDR has a lot of features I like and miss with all its short comings when running Thetis PowerSDR and when Running Thetis PowerSDR it is very WELCOMING to use PowerSDR again with the added features of Thetis and the fine features that PowerSDR have had for a Very long time,14 years to be precise for me.

BE Prepared for the heavy lifting the computer has to do compared to SmartSDR as others have already said, I run mine on a NEWER INTEL NUC i8 with 32Gig of memory and when Thetis, WSJT-X, and DXLabs logger running the computer is at about 20 to 35% CPU depending on how busy things get.

If I run EDGE Web browser to keep my NODE-RED station control in front of me, it can get as high as 90% of CPU usage so it is barley usable but really don't want to go to a BIG Desktop computer again so I may run my WEB browser on my Raspberry Pi or my other NUC.
Hope this helps

One thing to note here that may save you some time if you run the Digital modes, the Older (VAC 4.13) program I used to run with PowerSDR with the old FLEX3000/5000 would NOT work on my Radio with Thetis and Computer WINDOWS11 combination running WSJT-X or FLDIGI so I purchased VB_Cables A and B and they work Very good with my computer / Anan7000 combination.
rdwing

Postby rdwing » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:44 pm

Can we try to be less denigrating to Flex users? Current SmartSDR is above and beyond the thick client model reflected in Thetis. Neither radio represents an "appliance". We are all SDR users, Flex does a lot of things right, things Thetis should aspire to, and vice versa too.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:25 pm

1) I don't see any evidence of anyone here being denigrating toward Flex. If you believe otherwise then please cite a specific example.

2) SmartSDR is most assuredly NOT "above and beyond the thick client model reflected in Thetis". Thetis offers numerous features and capabilities not available in SmartSDR. I have several years of experience with both, and will attest that I left SmartSDR for Thetis. Many others have also. You will find exceedingly few people who have left Apache Labs for Flex, and even fewer who did so primarily because they missed SmartSDR.

But to reiterate my first point, I see no undertones of disparagement toward SmartSDR in this thread. If you feel otherwise then show us where.

Mark
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:51 pm

Let's go easy folks (myself included!), I don't want to have to lock this topic ;)

There's stuff the Flex does that I wish Apache/Thetis does, and vice versa. Same for ExpertSDR/SunSDR. We all have to choose what works best for us. Those who are lucky enough to own two out of the three (not sure anyone I know has all three :D ) can pick and choose what they think is the better tool for whatever kind of radio they are playing at the moment.

Until someone comes out with a best-of-all-three-breeds radio we have to choose the compromise we each like the best.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:32 pm

Exactly why I own both a Flex 6600M and an Anan 8000DLE. Between them, I can have a blast playing radio. There is so many interesting things you can do with either one. Having both just makes it even better. I have found, especially with weak signals, that Thetis and NR2 work better than SmartSDR. No fiddling trying to find the right balance to hear that weak signal, just click twice on the NR button to NR2 and the weak signal pops right up out of the noise. Clear ,clean audio. Also, the Automatic Notch Filter in Thetis (and even PowerSDR for the older Flex radios) just works. Unlike the same functions in SmartSDR, which can be improved. But.,only if Flex Radio ever decides to work on the basic features again.
At first, I wasn't too fond of the busy interface of Thetis. Then, I found the Collapse button! I preset several things and Collapse the display, and it's off to the races.
My 6600M doesn't require an external PC to operate. And when I do choose to use one, it doesn't require the horsepower that Thetis really benefits from. I can watch more than one band at a time and switch between them if I want. At first, that was an interesting feature. And I used it occasionally. But, eventually, I got to where the only time I used that feature was to show it to someone else visiting the shack. Otherwise, I operate the 6600M as though it can not display activity on other bands while running.
I feel fortunate that I found a fantastic deal on an 8000DLE, and have really enjoyed the learning curve to get it going properly. I also know, that I have really only explored the surface to its many features. The same holds true for the Flex 6600M. Old people move slowly!!! :lol:
James
WD5GWY

Return to “Thetis”