Transmit Drive Power

rdwing

Re: Transmit Drive Power

Postby rdwing » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:11 pm

@Michael: I also have one of the latest batch of 7000 DLE Mk2.3 that makes poor power on 6m. Apache said they would replace it a few months ago but here I sit still today with a broken radio. Please thoroughly check the radio so you can exercise your return through HRO if needed. My radio also loses frequency stability on 15/12/10/6 meters.
MichaelCaditz

Postby MichaelCaditz » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:37 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
KK2L wrote:I have a 200D running 2.9.0.2 Thetis.

The latest version of Thetis is 2.9.0.6. https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis-2.9.0/ ... g/v2.9.0.6

I am getting 0 watts output in TUNE and/or MOX...I have made no changes to the software except to select the correct radio. I have to be missing simple here.

Is this on every band, or just 6M?

Since you are an experienced user, it seems unlikely you've made any mistakes. Since you are using Thetis "out of the box" it seems unlikely you accidentally clicked the "receive only" option.

Where did the 200D come from? Could it simply be broken?

BREAK

Mike: as you undoubtedly know, it will not be possible to determine if you have a bad PA or simply a poorly calibrated internal power meter until you get your external power meter. Have you communicated with the supplier (I'm assuming it's HRO?) so that they are prepared to take it back if it turns out not to be a calibration issue?

I'll have a report for you as soon as my power meter arrives in a few days.

I bought my 7000DLE direct from Apache Labs, and they are aware of my issue.
MichaelCaditz

Postby MichaelCaditz » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:45 am

My previous result has been confirmed with a DAIWA CN-901 SWR & Power meter. It shows the same as the Anan's internal meter: Max power on 6 meters into a dummy load is about 37 Watts which is realized at a PA Gain in Thetis PA Settings of 48.5. Any PA Gain lower than that and the transmitter shuts off. Any PA Gain higher than that and the power output gradually decreases to nothing.

At this point am I justified to conclude that the radio is defective? Am I overlooking some other possibility?
MichaelCaditz

Postby MichaelCaditz » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:05 am

rdwing wrote:@Michael: I also have one of the latest batch of 7000 DLE Mk2.3 that makes poor power on 6m. Apache said they would replace it a few months ago but here I sit still today with a broken radio. Please thoroughly check the radio so you can exercise your return through HRO if needed. My radio also loses frequency stability on 15/12/10/6 meters.

@rdwing

I bought my radio directly from Apache Labs. They advertise a 10 day defective unit return policy, shipping at their expense. I told them about the defect on 6 meters, before the 10 days window expired and said I wanted to return the unit. But they never sent an RMA or address to send it to, They just told me to try this and try that. So now I have tried everything I was told and still my radio only puts out 37 watts on 6m, a far cry from the advertised 100 W.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:32 am

IMHO both of your units are legitimately defective.

If you are both in North America I'd recommend you contact US service:

dwigley at apache-labs.com
MichaelCaditz

Postby MichaelCaditz » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:07 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:IMHO both of your units are legitimately defective.

If you are both in North America I'd recommend you contact US service:

dwigley at apache-labs.com

It seems that Apache Labs has some quality control issues.

I reported the problem with my radio within the ten day window specified for complete refund, and have requested same. I should not have to send a brand new radio in for service.
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:15 pm

MichaelCaditz wrote:I should not have to send a brand new radio in for service.

You should not but Apache is NOT alone in this, sadly. An Icom 7610 I had comes to mind as well as a couple of SPE amplifiers, all QC issues.

Would love to hear an outcome on the issues though.
Gary NC3Z
MichaelCaditz

Postby MichaelCaditz » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:25 pm

NC3Z wrote:
MichaelCaditz wrote:I should not have to send a brand new radio in for service.

You should not but Apache is NOT alone in this, sadly. An Icom 7610 I had comes to mind as well as a couple of SPE amplifiers, all QC issues.

Would love to hear an outcome on the issues though.

I believe you that Apache is not alone.

Perhaps QC will improve for all manufacturers if consumers hold them accountable. If they get away with "send your brand new unit in for service" they have less incentive to improve QC than if they have to refund the purchase or send out a new replacement unit.

All reputable manufacturers and retailers offer refund or replacement on products that are defective out of the box.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:35 pm

A point of clarification: Apache did not recommend sending the unit for repair. I recommended it. I am not a representative of Apache or an Apache employee.
MichaelCaditz

Postby MichaelCaditz » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:11 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:A point of clarification: Apache did not recommend sending the unit for repair. I recommended it. I am not a representative of Apache or an Apache employee.

Understood.
rdwing

Postby rdwing » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:18 pm

This is exactly how I felt. I reported the issues within 1 day of receiving the unit. I spent many hours doing troubleshooting with Doug. He concurred the unit was defective. I requested a replacement per the terms of their warranty. Apache said they would replace it when they got stock. That was 3 months ago now. Radio silence from them.
MichaelCaditz

Postby MichaelCaditz » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:41 pm

Latest:

Tony at Apache support and I had a discussion and I agreed to give Doug a chance to examine the radio and address any problems.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:59 pm

That is undoubtedly the fastest way to obtain a fully functioning unit. It would be interesting to know what repairs are necessary.

P.S. it's not really a "radio" by itself. Without the PC it's just the RF front-end/back-end. Everything from the first (and only) IF on back is located in the software on the PC.

Return to “Thetis”