ATT on Tx

N4XD

ATT on Tx

Postby N4XD » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:33 pm

This happened, randomly, during the ARRL 160. ATT on TX, under the general then ant/ filters tabs in setup, was reset to 0 from 31 and unchecked. I did NOT do this myself and have my set up saved. Of course, on the operating screen of Thetis there is NO indication this setting has been varied until you start transmitting and the ADC overload warning is flashed.

I've no idea how this variable is getting reset to zero but, in my mind, this is dangerous as it could be damaging to the radio.

I'd like to see this setting default value be "on" and the attenuation level set to 31. To change the user must then go through a multiple check sequence (are you sure? type pop up) to change this.

Now, as a general rule, before I can use my radio, I go to this setting to verify it hasn't changed. Annoying, at best.

Very disturbing to see this kind of thing randomly happening.

Inputs are, of course, welcome.

Thanks
Ron
N4XD
w9ac

Re: ATT on Tx

Postby w9ac » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:02 pm

Ron,

Although I can't be of much help, I've attached a screen capture of my Ant/filters menu. It hasn't changed while operating ever since saving the profile under the "Transmit Profiles" menu.

Possibly try to create a new profile name, then save it and see what happens. If that fails, then it may be time to consider a database reset.

I'm presently using Thetis 2.9.0.6 P2 v2.1.18

Paul, W9AC
Attachments
W9AC Ant-Filters.jpg
W9AC Ant-Filters.jpg (104.88 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
sv1jso

Postby sv1jso » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:21 pm

N4XD

Postby N4XD » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:43 pm

Paul, K9AC, thanks for reply. That's how my selections look too except I ground BPF2 on TX as I have receive antennas connected.

Mike, thanks for the link to the previous discussion. I sure hope having Pure Signal on or off (even if green on the main Thetis page its not active for cw right?) isn't a factor.

Ron
sv1jso

Postby sv1jso » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:58 pm

Hi Ron,

Previously, 31dB of 'TX' attenuation was always applied when PS-A was off

Richie made a change so that whenever change tx mode the att is not resetting back in 31db. So if you use your transceiver with or without amp in different modes is very easy to overdrive your input.

Mike SV1JSO
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:58 pm

sv1jso wrote:Hi Ron,

Previously, 31dB of 'TX' attenuation was always applied when PS-A was off

Richie made a change so that whenever change tx mode the att is not resetting back in 31db. So if you use your transceiver with or without amp in different modes is very easy to overdrive your input.

Mike SV1JSO

Hi Mike, there will be an option to apply this in my next version, soon
N4XD

Postby N4XD » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:30 pm

Mike, thanks for that info.

Richie thanks for incorporating the choice in your next update. To me, seems that there is no harm in keeping the attenuator level unchanged until the operator goes in and changes the setting. Perhaps I'm missing the benefit of having it change based on mode.....

Thanks

Ron

Return to “Thetis”