Andromeda- Encoders and buttons not responsive

Phrotus

Andromeda- Encoders and buttons not responsive

Postby Phrotus » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:52 pm

I've been trying to correct this problem on my own but it seems to be too much for me. I've only owned this radio a short time and still trying to find my way around. I've been operating the radio ( cw only so far) via an external monitor and all is well. However, a day ago I noticed the VFO encoder was unresponsive, in addition none of the front panel controls worked.....external monitor is still fine. BTW, these all worked ok when
I first rec'd the Andromeda 1-10-23.
I've done a 'reset' as prescribed in the manual but that has not helped.

I sure hope someone can bail me out again.

Thanks,Tom
W4TMW
lauchlin

Re: Andromeda- Encoders and buttons not responsive

Postby lauchlin » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:48 pm

Is the Lock button on
Phrotus

Postby Phrotus » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:10 pm

Thanks for the reply......

Well I can't really tell because the LED lights aren't working( I didn't mention that in my post) but I've tried the button both ways with no luck. None of the buttons, knobs or LEDS are responsive.

Tom
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:49 pm

Perhaps an internal cable to the front panel came loose.
vk1hx

Postby vk1hx » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:04 am

My comment might seem silly, but, it happened to me. Check that "CAT" is assigned and Enable Panel is enabled under the Andromeda tab. I forgot this an none of the lights were on or buttons responsive.

Edit: You will find this under: Settings - Serial/Network/Midi CACT tab, sub-tab is Andromeda (depending on which version of Thetis you are using) That path applied to Thetis 2.9.0.7. Under 2.8.11 series is just Settings - CAT tab, then Andromeda sub-tab.

The other issued I observed when using an Andromeda radio, was the USB CAT device would not load correctly during the windows startup on the Andromeda. When I looked under windows device manager, the USB CAT dongle failed. Took me forever to get it going. One it was up and running the front panel controls were all working.
73, Phil - VK1HX
va7qi

Postby va7qi » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:43 am

Photus,

Which firmware and Thetis versions are you running?
Does it help to re-boot the the system?
Did you try and reset the database?

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.
Phrotus

Postby Phrotus » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:58 pm

Scott,
I thought about that after checking the block diagrams in the manual but wanted to let my post 'soak' for a while before looking inside the box.

Eric,
Yes, I did try a reset....no joy. And I've only had the radio a few days so it's all current.

Phil,
Thanks for the good info !!! As soon as I return from church I'll get right to work on your suggestions and let the group know ,but it sure sounds very encouraging.

73, Tom
W4TMW
lauchlin

Postby lauchlin » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:47 pm

Look in my documents there is a Andromeda copy of thetis load it,,,, that what we did when his lock led stop working after we update his software his Andromeda had old software in it when he got it so we updated it to 2.9.0.6 after restart nothing worked .So you have to load the Andromeda version of 2.9.0.6 .....
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:00 pm

There is no "Andromeda version of 2.9.0.6"

You simply need to configure 2.9.0.6 so that all of the Andromeda settings are correct:

Setup > Serial/Network/Midi/CAT > Andromeda -- make sure panel is enabled on the right port (not sure what port that is).

Make sure main UI is in "Collapse" mode (Collapse/Expand on menu bar).

Make sure "Display Controls" (on menu bar) have both Andromeda options enabled.
lauchlin

Postby lauchlin » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:07 pm

I agree there is not one just for Andromeda but if you just update not knowing about having to check the Andromeda setting in display controls it won't work properly ...... This is from the manual this is what he did and now he has a happy radio working just fine

To restore any saved settings:
· For each transmit profile exported it can be imported using Menu > Setup Import Database.
It will require a separate import cycle for each profile.
· MIDI settings can be imported using the “Import Mappings” function that was adjacent to
the “Export Mappings” function referred to above.
A copy of an initialised database will be provided in “my documents”. This can be imported in the
setup form to reset settings to those appropriate to ANDROMEDA. This includes factor adjusted PA
gain
Phrotus

Re: Andromeda- Encoders and buttons not responsive - Solved

Postby Phrotus » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:48 pm

Tanks to all for the help.

The solution was to check ' Setup > Serial/Network/Midi/CAT > Andromeda ' and make the required settings as described below.

For some reason the 'PORT' box was set to 'NONE'. I then set it to 'COM3' (the only option), which allowed me to check the 'ENABLE PANEL' box. After checking that box, the 'COM3' went to gray status.
I clicked 'Apply' then OK and pushed the 'start radio' icon......now everything seems to be working as it should.
-------------------------
Scott ,you wrote:
"Make sure main UI is in "Collapse" mode (Collapse/Expand on menu bar).
Make sure "Display Controls" (on menu bar) have both Andromeda options enabled."

I'll go back and check but all seems to be working fine now. How the PORT box got set at 'NONE', I do not know but as I mentioned earlier, the radio was working fine when I received it. Anyway, if this happens again I will report it. Now I know how to correct it if it does.

Now it's time to do a backup :)

Again, thank you ,thank you all for the help.
73, Tom
W4TMW

Return to “Thetis”