Thetis programs differences

JeffH

Thetis programs differences

Postby JeffH » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:04 am

I should be getting my 7000DLE MKII this week. I have been gathering all the info I can find before it comes. On the Apache Labs there is a download "Thetis (protocol 2) SDR client v2.6.9.0" and on TAPR gitHub site there is a download "Thetis-v2.9.0.3.x64.msi" I want protocal2 and thetis on my 7000. Are these downloads used for different purposes. What is each one used for? I am new to this, and trying to learn all I can.

Thanks,
Jeff
KK7CPL
w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis programs differences

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:55 am

Short answer: unless a newer version comes out before you get your 7000, you want Thetis 2.9.0.6.

To get that, follow the link to the beta in this topic: https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4133

If you go to the TAPR Git site you are just going to get older stuff and that is not what you want.

It is recommended you read the first post in that topic, get 2.9.0.6 and install it. You might also follow the link in that first post to the old and now locked beta topic, just to get a feel for what's in 2.9.0.6. You can also read the release notes on Richie's Github site.

Also recommend you hold off on immediate upgrade to Protocol 2 firmware. Get the hardware, get it running with Thetis and P1, live with it a few days to make sure everything is stable, first.

However, you can become familiar with this topic in preparing to upgrade the firmware: https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333

Do be sure to have the correct P1 and P2 firmware versions available, just in case you need to go back to P1 if P2 doesn't work out for you immediately.
JeffH

Postby JeffH » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:56 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Short answer: unless a newer version comes out before you get your 7000, you want Thetis 2.9.0.6.

To get that, follow the link to the beta in this topic: https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4133

If you go to the TAPR Git site you are just going to get older stuff and that is not what you want.

It is recommended you read the first post in that topic, get 2.9.0.6 and install it. You might also follow the link in that first post to the old and now locked beta topic, just to get a feel for what's in 2.9.0.6. You can also read the release notes on Richie's Github site.

Also recommend you hold off on immediate upgrade to Protocol 2 firmware. Get the hardware, get it running with Thetis and P1, live with it a few days to make sure everything is stable, first.

However, you can become familiar with this topic in preparing to upgrade the firmware: https://community.apache-labs.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333

Do be sure to have the correct P1 and P2 firmware versions available, just in case you need to go back to P1 if P2 doesn't work out for you immediately.

Thank you for your help. I have Thetis version 2.9.0.6.x64.msi saved on my computer. I will be using a dedicated computer for the 7000 with the Wi-Fi cable going direct. After reading your suggested info, it looks like I need the HPSDR Bootloader to load protocol 1. Do I need to check which FPGA I have to know which bootloader to load, is that what you mean when you said "be sure to have the correct P1 and P2".
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:49 pm

JeffH wrote:After reading your suggested info, it looks like I need the HPSDR Bootloader to load protocol 1.
While there are other options, I recommend using Bootloader to load any version of firmware, P1 or P2. You will not need to load P1 firmware, it comes pre-loaded from the factory.

Do I need to check which FPGA I have to know which bootloader to load, is that what you mean when you said "be sure to have the correct P1 and P2".

Yes, exactly.

Will your 7000 be brand new from the factory? In that case you are getting something marked ANAN-7000MKIII on the outside.

Or is this a pre-owned unit?
JeffH

Postby JeffH » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:51 pm

It is new from the factory. I thought there was no software in it, except in the unit that has the imbedded computer. So I just start Thetis-v2.9.0.6.x64.msi in my external computer, do the configuration, then I'm ready to go?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:18 pm

JeffH wrote:It is new from the factory. I thought there was no software in it, except in the unit that has the imbedded computer. So I just start Thetis-v2.9.0.6.x64.msi in my external computer, do the configuration, then I'm ready to go?

Not exactly :)

If the PC is not connected to any other network, just the 7000, you are OK. Install Thetis. Make an Ethernet connection to the 7000. Power up the 7000. Start Thetis.

If you are connected to another network at the same time (and WiFi counts as a network), then you may need to go into the Windows network control panel and configure "network metric" settings. This is a good reference: http://www.w1aex.com/anan/anan.html#network

Just to clarify the situation:

You are buying hardware from Apache. This hardware is based on an open source hardware development project called "openHPSDR". The Apache hardware is a derivative work.

Apache does not create any of the firmware (that runs in the FPGA that is part of the hardware) or the software (nominally Thetis, but there are other client software app's). All of that is done by volunteer, open source developers.

Apache does not create any of the documentation (just the schematics). All of that is also done by open source volunteers.

Apache does do you the favor of loading the original, Protocol 1, firmware so that you can immediately use the hardware on delivery.

Apache will support you if you have faulty hardware. However, other than hosting a lot of open source documentation and this forum, Apache doesn't really provide any functional support or direct support for firmware or software problems. That's what this forum is for.

I'd recommend you go to the main Apache web site and seek out any Thetis or 7000 manuals you can find and start paging through them. They are all 2 to 3 years old and written by a variety of volunteers. Thus they may be out of date, incomplete, or even wrong, but they will give you the basics.

Finally, the 7000 by itself is NOT a radio. It is just a small piece of the radio. The bulk of the radio functionality is to be found in the Thetis software. The Ethernet connection between the 7000 and the PC is literally the first (and only) RX and TX IF interface. And even though there are mic and speaker connections on the 7000 they merely represent a custom sound card in that box. If you use them instead of a mic and speaker attached to the PC you have to remember all that audio is still flowing through Thetis.
JeffH

Postby JeffH » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:25 pm

Thank you for all your help. You have given me a lot of good resources to explore.

Return to “Thetis”