TX power some bands

JeffH

TX power some bands

Postby JeffH » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:31 am

Why when I key the Tx into dummy load, using an external power meter I get no power out on 6,10,12,17 meter bands. I hear a transmit relay click and then right away I hear either another relay click, or the transmit relay drop out. The setup-PA settings are all default.

7000DLE MKII
Thetis 2.9.0.6 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.7
NC3Z

Re: TX power some bands

Postby NC3Z » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:22 pm

I give up, why? You only mention you that you "key the TX" but you didnt mention what mode, SSB, CW, Tune??? Did this problem just start out of the blue? Have you performed a PA calibration?
Gary NC3Z
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:11 pm

Zero power out seems a bit weird. Nevertheless, take a look at the following video:

JeffH

Postby JeffH » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:58 pm

NC3Z wrote:I give up, why? You only mention you that you "key the TX" but you didnt mention what mode, SSB, CW, Tune??? Did this problem just start out of the blue? Have you performed a PA calibration?

It's a new radio, I was just checking the power on all bands, I used SSB on all bands, and used the PTT switch. I was looking to perform a PA calibration when I noticed it. All the other bands have power at some level.
W3MMR

Postby W3MMR » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:34 pm

Try hitting the tune button instead. Or if in ssb, modulate because you're not going to show any power out on ssb without modulation. This may not make a difference because you said you have power out on some bands, but worth a shot.

Perry
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:35 pm

Or use the built in tone/noise generator.
Gary NC3Z
JeffH

Postby JeffH » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:41 pm

I started to do what your video shows, but when I went to turn on the tune slider all that came up was "tune 50" with no slider. I tried changing the screen size and scale, but nothing worked, I tried starting Thetis as administrator but still missing slider. I am thinking that Thetis may be the problem.
JeffH

Postby JeffH » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:45 pm

I've tried something else. I ran Tx power calibration from the Thetis manual, it has me use the drive power slider set to 10% and the tune button to transmit. I went through the calibration procedure with no problem. All bands calibrated for 10w out using the tune button. So, then I went back and used the PTT and checked all bands again using my voice for modulation. All bands had a power out reading except 6,10,17 meters, zero power out, went back and double checked with tune button 10w out. I even increased the drive button to 50%, still no power out. How can the tune button work for all bands, but the PTT button does not work for 6,10,17-meter bands?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:06 pm

Wow, there are so many things you might be doing wrong, it's hard to tell where you are at.

First off, the tune slider should show up if you've gone to Setup > Transmit and in the Tune section selected "Use Tune Slider". If it does not then I can only guess you have somehow corrupted the UI skin you are using. Go here: http://www.w1aex.com/hpsdr/hpsdr.html and follow the directions to download and install a new skin.

Second, if you are using the drive slider and TUN to calibrate, then be sure to go to Setup > Transmit and in the Tune section select "Use Drive Slider".

Third, are you using the same Transmit Profile for SSB on all bands? If not, you might not be getting the same audio drive on each band. Make sure the transmit profile is set the same on all bands.
JeffH

Postby JeffH » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:21 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Wow, there are so many things you might be doing wrong, it's hard to tell where you are at.

First off, the tune slider should show up if you've gone to Setup > Transmit and in the Tune section selected "Use Tune Slider". If it does not then I can only guess you have somehow corrupted the UI skin you are using. Go here: http://www.w1aex.com/hpsdr/hpsdr.html and follow the directions to download and install a new skin.

Second, if you are using the drive slider and TUN to calibrate, then be sure to go to Setup > Transmit and in the Tune section select "Use Drive Slider".

Third, are you using the same Transmit Profile for SSB on all bands? If not, you might not be getting the same audio drive on each band. Make sure the transmit profile is set the same on all bands.

I am using the default Tx driver, I didn't know you can use a different driver for each band. I'm also using the Drive Slider.
Attachments
Screenshot (13).png
transmit driver
Screenshot (13).png (915.3 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
JeffH

Postby JeffH » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:52 pm

I've redone the Tx calibration. 17m is OK now. 6 and 10m when I raise the drive over 10W I get error message "ADC1 OVERLOAD, when I use tune or voice. with 10m I get the overload at any power level. 6m I get the overload at above 10w and as I go higher another relay clicks and power goes to zero.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:56 pm

As Scott pointed out, you need to follow the calibration procedure in the video he linked to. It has to be done for each band. It is different from the online manual procedure because the version of Thetis used in the video is much newer and different from the version used in the manual. If you follow the videos instructions, and save the settings, you will have proper output on all bands. You should be using a good Watt meter and dummy load as well. Otherwise, the output indications will be off.
James
WD5GWY
JeffH

Postby JeffH » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:06 am

w-u-2-o wrote:Wow, there are so many things you might be doing wrong, it's hard to tell where you are at.

The new skins did the trick, now I have the tune slider. I performed the tune on each band and it worked fine for the most part. on 40m I could only reach 90w on the tune slider, and on 12m I could only get 95w on the power meter, and the offsets were all high and would not go lower. But I can live with it as it is now. Thanks for all the guys help.

Jeff
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:19 pm

Are you still getting ADC overload indications?
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:49 am

Hi,
I had done the calibration yesterday and today the settings were back to default.
I have the latest thetis. I'm sure I am missing something. And I don't see the offset window in the PA gain tab as in the video above.
Jay n2gq
Jay N2GQ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:28 am

n2gq wrote:And I don't see the offset window in the PA gain tab as in the video above.
Jay n2gq

What version of Thetis did you install?
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:31 am

Jay N2GQ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:32 am

Nope, that version is way old.

You want 2.9.0.8.

See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4554
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:39 am

Ok will install that version. I just purchased the 50 ohm terminators today because of the adc1 overload message. And realized yesterday the settings were off. And today after adjustment the same. Will update in the morning. Thanks for the help.

Jay
Jay N2GQ
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:04 pm

Thanks Steve for the software update referral, power gain adjustment seems to be stored now. And the updated software is awesome with the new meters. Richie is doing a awesome job. :D
Jay N2GQ
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:47 pm

In the PA gain setting do I have to use the tune slider or can I use the drive slider?
Can't get these settings to save. I am using 2.9.0.8. I have watched the video. When I use the tune slider I don't get the 100 on the tune slider it just starts at the 90w or whatever offset was used last. I do get 90-10 setting on the offset chart. I have to use the driver slider to set the 100w and then it throws everything off.
I try to start at 100w and work my way down the power chart. I even applied and saved my tx profile, and this morning I am back at 115w tx as if I didn't adjust anything.

Radio Anan-7000dle mk3
Jay N2GQ

Return to “Thetis”