OC setup for Tune

JeffH

OC setup for Tune

Postby JeffH » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:57 pm

Screenshot (14).png
OC setup
Screenshot (14).png (3.47 MiB) Viewed 1504 times

I am trying to set OC control to pull to ground on pin 6. I have clicked XPa on, but when I click TUN on nothing happens on pin 6.
w-u-2-o

Re: OC setup for Tune

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:34 pm

This topic might help: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4507&p=23384
JeffH

Postby JeffH » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:45 pm

User avatarw-u-2-o
Re: Not sure how to use Open Collector Jack and Thetis settings...
Unread postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:08 am

Perhaps a simpler answer might be helpful.

Connect a 10K ohm resistor (or similar, anything between 1K and 100K will do) between the OC output you want to test and +12VDC. Connect the positive lead of a voltmeter to that same OC output.

Assuming there are no checkmarks in the OC table for that pin/band combo, you will see 12V on the voltmeter. The pin is being pulled up to 12V by the resistor.

When you place a checkmark in the appropriate place in the table for that OC output pin and the current band, the transistor on that OC output will conduct current and the pin will be pulled down to ground. The voltmeter will now read 0V, or close to it.

You can use these outputs to control digital inputs on other equipment if the other equipment has internal pull-up's on those inputs. Otherwise you have to provide your own external pull-up resistors, to the appropriate voltage, of course.

You can use these output as low side switches for relay coils, being mindful of the max. current rating of the outputs per the datasheet, of course.

I did just what you suggested above. And the OC settings in the screen shot. The OC pin 6 did not pull to ground.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:25 am

With TUN and xPA asserted

Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (16.95 KiB) Viewed 1479 times

and the OC settings the same as yours, I get the hardware pin state shown as circled below

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (124.27 KiB) Viewed 1479 times

Do you get that same state shown? If so, then perhaps your wiring is not correct on the OC outputs?
JeffH

Postby JeffH » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:55 am

Yes, I get the same hardware pin state as yours. I will double check the wiring.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:18 am

JeffH

Postby JeffH » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:24 am

OK, I've checked the wiring, and it is all OK. But on further experimenting I found that when I change OC transmit pins to 4 then pin 6 goes to ground when I tick TUN. I also found out that while I have Transmit pin action pin 6 set to only TUN, if I tick MON or 2TON they also cause pin 6 to go to GND. And they all go to GND even if I untick xPA. Something is screwed up, or I am not doing something correct.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:34 pm

It sounds like there are two different sets of issues going on.

First, there seems to be some confusion about how to set up a pin to only assert itself on TUN.

When I have things set up as shown (just on 10M to save a lot of clicking), in the Hardware Pin State display pin 6 only asserts when TUN is asserted when xPA is turned on. With any other action: MOX, Two Tone, PTT, pin 6 does not assert. With xPA turned off, pin 6 never asserts.

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (122.63 KiB) Viewed 1392 times

Second, there seems to be some confusion about the physical pin. Unfortunately I'm not in a good position to investigate this because I operate from a second floor office and my hardware is located two floors below in a rack in the basement. If you can find the pin that works, just use that pin even if it is the wrong one (although it would be nice to know what's really going on).
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:07 pm

There is still a little glitch in Thetis. If I don't check TX corresponding to the pin I want in the "Ext PA Control", and I press TUN, that pin will pull to Gnd. and the "Hardware Pin State" pin will light. If I do check TX and turn on xPA and press TUN then the pin will pull to ground also. It seems like xPA is not doing anything.

I can't duplicate your problem. Using pin 6 for example...

Case 1: OC Transmit Pin 6 checked, Transmit Pin Action "Tune", Ext PA Control TX unchecked.

In this case obviously there is no xPA button shown on the main UI. The pin functions as desired, i.e. it is asserted (pulled to ground) only on TUN.

Case 2: OC Transmit Pin 6 checked, Transmit Pin Action "Tune", Ext PA Control TX Pin 6 checked.

With the xPA button off nothing happens. With the xPA button on the pin functions as desired.
JeffH

Postby JeffH » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:24 am

OC pinout.pdf
OC pinout
(447.55 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

I changed my attachment a little, it may be easier to understand. Pin 1 does go to ground. I don't know if pin 2 is OCRef, in my schematic it goes to the output of a Darlington circuit, so it may be.

Does anyone else notice a discrepancy in the Thetis OC callout in relationship to there DB-9 pins?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:49 pm

JeffH wrote:I changed my attachment a little, it may be easier to understand. Pin 1 does go to ground. I don't know if pin 2 is OCRef, in my schematic it goes to the output of a Darlington circuit, so it may be.

Does anyone else notice a discrepancy in the Thetis OC callout in relationship to there DB-9 pins?

Now that you've changed your attachment it matches perfectly with the documentation your reference, and the links I posted above. There are no discrepancies.

I have deleted the erroneous posts so that future readers who might see this topic do not get confused.

Return to “Thetis”