Thetis v2.9.0.8 - meters and then some more

oe3ide

Re: Thetis v2.9.0.8 - meters and then some more

Postby oe3ide » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:35 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
oe3ide wrote:If I look at the path on the stacktrace, it points to c:\projects\sharpdx, which is not a part from Win10/11.
While I do have VS installed, there is no such folder or path on my system. I'm guessing it's an artifact from how Mike built his version.

Ok. Have you also tried building your own version using the latest code from github? Afaik this worked for you with some older sources from github.

73 Ernst
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:41 pm

oe3ide wrote:
w-u-2-o wrote:
oe3ide wrote:If I look at the path on the stacktrace, it points to c:\projects\sharpdx, which is not a part from Win10/11.
While I do have VS installed, there is no such folder or path on my system. I'm guessing it's an artifact from how Mike built his version.

Ok. Have you also tried building your own version using the latest code from github? Afaik this worked for you with some older sources from github.

73 Ernst

I did indeed try that because, you know, I am desperate for it to work for me :D

However, as you might expect, the build from the current repo is identical to that from the installer, and it fails in the same way :(

The good news, though, is that it runs (and fails) just fine in the VS debugger. So if an actual developer (that would not be me, I don't write code!) wanted to remote into my system and use the VS debugging environment to figure out the root of the problem it should be pretty easy.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:01 pm

I'll be around tomorrow to look into this. May have to take you up on the offer Scott to remote in and check what is happening. In the mean time one thing to try is clear the directX shader cache. Cleanup tool will let you do this (make sure Thetis not running and ensure no lingering in taskmanager).

Also, the meterskininstaller is run 'embeded' from the msi package and doesn't get installed anywhere, it just does a copy of all its resources (the skins) into the required folder, and should be fine as a 32bit app. When it finally releases I will make sure the meterskininstaller exe is included somewhere in the project so a compile will just 'work'.

To get more info from directX, the debug flags can be switched on (first time of dxInit, the line with device creation flags) by changing from .None to .Debug.

However, I am concerned that there have been so few reports of this issue.

R.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:16 pm

Hi Richie,

Yes, I fully expect to find that something is wrong with my system and Tony's. Occam's razor and all that. However...

- Windows update reports 100% OK
- SFC reports 100% OK
- DISM reports 100% OK
- DirectX is 100% up to date
- Nvidia driver is 100% up to date
- Cleaning the shader cache--no improvement

So I'm at a loss as to what to change/improve to solve the problem from the system side :(

Thetis 2.9.0.8 seems perfectly stable and usable unless I try to use the new multimeter features.

Note that I am not using any of the old fashioned analog meter representations, only the standard meters. Indeed, the problems start just creating an empty container.

Cheers!

Scott
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:24 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Note that I am not using any of the old fashioned analog meter representations, only the standard meters. Indeed, the problems start just creating an empty container.

Cheers!

Scott

it happens if the container is left 'docked', ie as soon as you add a container?

1) add container, do not resize/touch it
2) add bar meter (signal or average)
3) does it update at all?

R.
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:30 pm

Hi Richie, yes the bar meter works as it should as long you you don't try to resize the container. Also the meter continues to work even after the error message appears.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:35 pm

Tony EI7BMB wrote:Hi Richie, yes the bar meter works as it should as long you you don't try to resize the container. Also the meter continues to work even after the error message appears.

can you drag it around in docked view, as long as not resized?
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:37 pm

Yes it can be dragged around.

Edit; if container left open Thetis crashes after a few mins
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:24 pm

Tony EI7BMB wrote:Yes it can be dragged around.

Edit; if container left open Thetis crashes after a few mins

Sorry for the delay in responding, I had to nip out for some errands.

Same here. Add one container, add one meter, the meter works for a few seconds and can be dragged around for a few seconds, then freeze/crash/quit.
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:31 pm

It's not an artifact -- it's the path to the SharpDX code in the nuget package for SharpDX.

Ya'll probably have multiple monitors -- can you also try the resize on the different monitors and see if that makes a difference?

This should show the height and width now in the error message which may be the culprit.

Make sure you uninstall the old version first.

The title bar should show "Thetis v2.9.0.8 x64 (3/20/23) MW0LGE pre-release W9MDB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e49cakd2heo9g ... 4.msi?dl=0

Also -- what video card and what video driver version do you have?
Mike W9MDB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:33 am

w9mdb wrote:Ya'll probably have multiple monitors -- can you also try the resize on the different monitors and see if that makes a difference?

Yes, multiple 4K monitors. Resizing on different monitors makes no difference.

Also -- what video card and what video driver version do you have?

It's an NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070 running driver 528.49

I know Richie is working on it and I think this may be a moot issue shortly.
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:18 am

Then I'd like to see the error message on the latest version I posted -- it has a couple of debug values in it.

The error actually comes from the SharpDX DLL which is no longer under development.

I forked the repository for it and almost have it compiled. But I can't duplicate the problem.

I'm running a GE Force RTX 3080 31.0.15.3118 2023-02-24

Latest driver
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... 990/en-us/
And hotfix for it
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... /kw/hotfix

Mike W9MDB
Mike W9MDB
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:58 pm

Mike do you have any video card control software installed ?

w9mdb wrote:Then I'd like to see the error message on the latest version I posted -- it has a couple of debug values in it.

The error actually comes from the SharpDX DLL which is no longer under development.

I forked the repository for it and almost have it compiled. But I can't duplicate the problem.

I'm running a GE Force RTX 3080 31.0.15.3118 2023-02-24

Latest driver
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... 990/en-us/
And hotfix for it
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... /kw/hotfix

Mike W9MDB
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:21 pm

I've got GE Force Experience installed but not running.
Mike W9MDB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:36 pm

Update: after significant effort by Richie, we have found that the problem was the EVGA Precision XOC graphic card control panel software that came with my EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 card and which has been installed since the day my current PC system was born.

Stopping Precision XOC from running works in real-time to solve the problem. It also solves some age-old problems I had with running SDR Console, and also with a specific browser video streaming plug-in.

I've replaced EVGA Precision XOC with EVGA Precision X1, which so far seems to work 100% OK.

It is an amazingly complex ecosystem that all of our various software must exist in. My hat remains off to all the intrepid developers, like Richie, who are beset by these edge case problems on a continuing basis!
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:08 pm

I think it is something to do with the 'hooking' of directX so that external software can use overlays and the like to show cpu/gpu/temps etc or to grab the contents for recording etc. I guess some are better implemented than others. All overlay stuff is working fine here with game ready driver version 531.29 on my 2070sup with nvidia experience and control panel installed.

It is possible for me to 'protect' the directX surfaces which may prevent this issue, but they will not be able to be used in OBS or other such capture apps unless you capture the whole display. I may add a note in the error message that eventually pops up to check for such software and leave it as it is for now as we have not had many reports of the issue.

Interestingly a similar report about the same(ish) issue that Scott was having is documented here :

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Precision- ... 18345.aspx

To note, and as a record for future, if a single directX surface was being used then everything worked fine. I disabled the spectrum render/trypresent which enabled a single meter container with its own directX surface to work fine. As soon a second was added resizeBuffers failed instantly when called. It may be possible to look into what is happening in SharpDX, or it may be a lower level issue inside directX itself (I will add to the list of things to do).

Cheers Scott for the teamviewer sessions today to look into this issue. Teamviewer worked rather well it has to be said.

R.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:19 pm

Teamviewer is a great tool! :)

Just to put a super-fine point on things, I was running the latest Nvidia studio driver, then upgraded to the latest game ready driver, same version as Richie and Mike, with no improvement. So it was not a driver issue. It was only upgrading from Precision XOC to Precision X1 that fixed the problem (or just not running any of the EVGA supplied utilities at all).
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:23 pm

Richie FYI getting the odd Direct X error message when I re size but not crashing as before and I can carry on after hitting OK on the error message. Thanks to you and Scott for working on this today.
va7qi

Postby va7qi » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:44 am

I don't actually use the new meters, but I have a problem with manual notch.

I installed this version on my new Andromeda. I was much pleased to see that the manual notch filter working exceptionally well - important here since I have some kind of carrier right in the middle of one of my 80 m net frequencies.

Alas, it did not last. Today the manual notch shows up correctly, but does not attenuate the carrier. I have re-loaded the database from a couple of days ago to no avail and also re-installed 2.9.0.8. Still not working.

I have not changed much on the Andromeda since I mainly use it for SSB and a bit of CW. The auto-notch has been on and off a few times as well as NR2. The manual notch screens look fine - both from Settings and when right-clicking the notch.

Any idea where I should look?

BTW, nice to be able to see the full Thetis on the 7 inch screen.

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:02 am

Erik, as long as they are enabled (right click them in spectrum to check), and you have the global on/off 'switch' turned on by selecting the MNF button down the bottom of the screen then not sure why it is not working.

mnf.png
mnf.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 7022 times
SM3PZG

Postby SM3PZG » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:42 pm

Richie, what a great job, and what a great software. Its true joy using Thetis and the latest update with the beautiful meters. Its amazingly fantastic and great fun to use.

Here is a video I just recorded listening to CY0S 15m CW trying to find RX QRG.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkVCoyN4fqY[/youtube]

Thank you very much.

73/Sam
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:38 pm

With the EVGA control panel blivet out of the way, a whole day's worth of fussing has evolved this layout, which uses an entire 4K display.

Right click and "Open in image in new tab" for full resolution.

Receive...

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (879.51 KiB) Viewed 6870 times

Transmit...

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (887.99 KiB) Viewed 6870 times

Too busy to talk on the radio, still fussing with the meters :D
VK-JOE

Postby VK-JOE » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:24 am

@ramdor

During the last few months, I have not been able to dedicate much time to my favorite distraction – the Anan and Thetis.

Today I had a little dive to see what’s been happening on the forums.

- WOW !!! :o

Richie, you have done an amazing job with all the code for the meters!

Putting on my “dev hat” – I know the effort required to achieve what you have done in such a relatively short period.

You are truly a master of your craft.

I am sure that on behalf of ALL of the community – in particular the silent majority – I would like to thank you so much for your dedication and stellar contribution(s).

Also, Ernst has done a fabulous job with the skins – they look great and more importantly track well.

Below is a screenshot of my little “fiddle” with your fantastic pre-release.

Thetis v2.9.0.8 x64 - just playing with it.png
Thetis v2.9.0.8 x64 - just playing with it.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 6815 times

I love the concept of the “containers” and the ability of being able to virtually customize everything.

I can see that many of us will be very busy fiddling with this wonderful interface – to create our own little “masterpieces” of visual overload enjoyment as we use our radios. :D
va7qi

Postby va7qi » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 pm

Manual Notch fixed!

I used firmware 2.1.18, which turns out to be the wrong one. It is now 2.1.26c and the manual notch now works as it should.
There is no serial number on my Andromeda - at least on the outside of the box - so I had to guess when I first updated the radio to Protocol 2.

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:12 am

va7qi wrote:I used firmware 2.1.18, which turns out to be the wrong one. It is now 2.1.26c and the manual notch now works as it should.

Hardware that requires 2.1.26c can't even boot with 2.1.18 loaded. Nothing should have worked, much less MNF.
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:17 am

Where do these meter configs get saved? I just did a db reset and then imported my last good one and the meters containers did not get imported.

And not sure if this is related but the import did not bring back the PA profile settings either.
Gary NC3Z
NJ2US

Postby NJ2US » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:24 am

Echoing Gary's observation: I also did a database reset, and imported a database with built meter containers...meters did not return.
Jeff NJ2US
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:54 am

NC3Z wrote:Where do these meter configs get saved? I just did a db reset and then imported my last good one and the meters containers did not get imported.

And not sure if this is related but the import did not bring back the PA profile settings either.

Import not implemented yet. Will sort that out next week sometime when I get some time. The up side is that you get to improve your layout ;)

edit: i will also add some load/save thing so you can swap layouts etc
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:33 am

Richie, same for PA profiles too? Or am I seeing a seperate issue?

Luckily I found the section in my old db for my specific cal and per band offsets and was able to quickly bring it back in.
Gary NC3Z
Alexander UC

Postby Alexander UC » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:43 am

catrig.png
catrig.png (49.3 KiB) Viewed 6524 times

I can't use frequency offset for TCI connection.
Does this only work for CAT connections?

Return to “Thetis”