Thetis v2.9.0.8 - meters and then some more

w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis v2.9.0.8 - meters and then some more

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:03 pm

K1LSB wrote:Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but does Richie's latest 2.9.0.8 Release incorporate any of Steve's G7KLJ improvements, and/or vise versa?

No and no.

Put differently, are there now two distinct and separate branches of Thetis, neither of which include any of the recent enhancements incorporated in the other branch?

Yes.

And if that's the case, then going forward, will the typical Thetis user likely have to decide up-front which branch of Thetis he will align his operations with, at the cost of painting himself out of the unique features offered by the other branch?

As far as I can tell, having played with both versions, from a purely functional perspective you are not missing anything by using Richie's version, and you are missing things with Steve's version.

Richie has fixed some major issues regarding meter settings, added voice squelch, improved AmpView operation, and added the bug fix from Steve's version (that Warren also helped with) that was disturbing PureSignal operations on Hermes and Hermes-derivative hardware using Protocol 1 firmware. This latter issue was what got Steve fired up as it was affecting the Hermes Lite 2 community. Steve also made some significant changes to the implementation of portaudio in VAC, but at this point I can't detect a difference in performance between the two branches with regard to that. So unless and until Steve produces something that represents a major change in functionality it would seem more advantageous to go with the version that has the greater functionality.

Is there some specific bug fix or feature that Steve's branch has that doesn't exist in Richie's branch, something that is noticeable by the user and not just a foundational, behind the scenes, type of thing, that you are interested in?
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:31 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:...Is there some specific bug fix or feature that Steve's branch has that doesn't exist in Richie's branch, something that is noticeable by the user and not just a foundational, behind the scenes, type of thing, that you are interested in?

I may just be fooling myself but I think I've observed that Steve's version gives me a faster and 'deeper' lock onto PureSignal...the lock is more immediate and the IMD skirts are a bit sharper and deeper. Also, VAC1 underruns/overruns are virtually nonexistent anymore. I can't swear that those observations are accurate but they are nevertheless smugly satisfying from this idiot's operational standpoint.

I did load Richie's latest release but with a focus mostly on the Voice Squelch, which I couldn't get to operate in any earthshakingly different fashion than the old-fashioned squelch (I did watch Roturbo's video and still got no joy). So I uninstalled it and went back to Steve's 2.9.0.27.

In all fairness I should probably reload Richie's latest release and see if I can discern any real behavioral differences between Richie's and Steve's versions with PureSignal and VAC. Also, if someone could truly demonstrate how VSQL (perhaps in conjunction with AGC Gain?) makes any real game-changing difference I'd be all in, but right now I'm just not seeing it.

Mark
Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:16 pm

One item that Steve had was the “master AF” checkbox for the vac audio, I know not a have to have but was nice to have. I did look into crossing this over but I believe there is some differences in the wdsp files that would take some time to work out, at least I gave up after some time.

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:15 pm

See here for more detail on voice squelch operation:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4677
W9BHI

Postby W9BHI » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:24 pm

Jim wrote:Installed the final 2.9.0.8 64 version and the new VSQL is really nice.

Couple of items observed.

(1) Thetis resolution off when opening to full screen. Reminds me of old CGA. Clicking RX2 on and off reverts it to normal or clicking to reduced screen size and back to full screen. Never seen this going back several years using Thetis or PowerSDR. Wish I could figure this one out but at least we have a work around.

(2) My tune slider missing. Copied my skins from the 2.9.0.8 64-bit beta into this final version and now the tune slider is back in place.

(3) All 60-meter 5 channel presets off by 100 hz and unable to change screen resolution off 1X. Opening 60-meter band stacks, going to options, unlocking and editing each channel to proper frequency and changing screen to .5x (my preferred) on each channel locking each one and now all is well. Using .5x I have one view of all 5 channels. Thinking about this I may have also had to do this on the beta version or even earlier versions?

73 de KE4WY JIM

That is a strange one as I am not seeing any of the issues that you have experienced.
Don W9BHI
Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:14 am

Don, it's strange. The previous v2.9.0.8 prior to the final release 2 days ago, no issue and I did uninstall and insure the two directories of OpenHPSDR were removed from my HD prior to installing the final.

Now, item number (1) issue is no longer happening so all is good.

And no I wasn't drinking or on drugs.

73 de KE4WY Jim
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:27 pm

Thanks for the new release Richie
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:27 pm

Cheers all. If I get the 'bug' again later in the year I may have a tinker ;) All issues/bugs can be reported over on GitHub, and/or posted about here on the forums for discussion. I wont be personally fixing them in the short term unless a game breaker.

Scott will be locking this thread at some point so it will slip into the mists of time.

Thanks.

w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:30 pm

Thank you, Richie, for all of your hard work and vast accomplishments. Again!

BREAK

The next major evolution of Thetis will be the G2-merged 2.9.0.8. Undoubtedly this will bump the revision, probably to 2.9.1.

Locking this thread...

Scott

Return to “Thetis”