Thetis v2.9.0.8 - meters and then some more

ramdor

Thetis v2.9.0.8 - meters and then some more

Postby ramdor » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:25 am

UPDATE : 2.9.0.8 released, https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis-2.9.0/ ... g/v2.9.0.8

Hey all, the time has arrived for a release. I have decided to skip 2.9.0.7 and move to 2.9.0.8 as a a number of .7 versions made it out into the wild during the last 6 months or so. This 2.9.0.8 version will initially be a pre-release install and will include that tag in the title bar until things settle and/or issues stop bubbling to the surface. This version could be called the 'meter version' due to how long this has taken (6+ months away from Thetis code).

As always, the change log for this version 2.9.0.8 is at the bottom of this post.

Video on how to use the new meter system is here : https://youtu.be/1LzOfLJYQCg
The pre-release x64 installer is here : https://github.com/ramdor/Thetis-2.9.0/ ... 2.9.0.8pre (scroll down to assets)
Known issues and bugs are here : https://tinyurl.com/59udzyex
(additional issues/bugs can be reported on github)

Many thanks to Ernst OE3IDE who has been instrumental in all the image designs for the special meters and for helping test and find issues with so much of it. He will be adding many more skins on his website. Link here : https://www.oe3ide.com/meter-graphics-thetis

The installer will automagically install Ernst's default meter skins into a new folder C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR\Meters

The meter image installer github repo is here : https://github.com/ramdor/MeterSkinInstaller

Remember, for Thetis to gather and display all these values there is obviously processor overhead. The more you have, the more the 'load' and the more overhead there will be. I tested Thetis on my machine which ran at around 3-4% cpu load with no new meters shown. I then added 10 containers, 25 meters per container, so a total of 250 meters, and cpu rose to around 11-12%.

I urge you to backup your existing database before you install this new version. Please note, I will not be around from mid day UTC Friday 17th March, until Monday/Tuesday the following week. If there are any game breaking issues then it was a good job you did that backup.

Additional info:
Settings window cancel button does not undo any change you make to a meter setting
Click on Signal and Signal average meter to cycle dbm/uv/S-unit
Click on PBSNR to switch to s-unit

73 Richie.

mm.png
mm.png (153.6 KiB) Viewed 18041 times

[2.9.0.8]
-fix: setting PS gain to a value greater than “gain multi” via andromeda front panel/cat will now not 'freeze'
-fix: LFMF button does not re-enable when coming out of mox. Not sure what this button is used for now, as there is no code behind it. Should probably be removed.
-fix: meter calibration was not saved after a level calibration, issue introduced with [2.9.0.6]
-fix: 2tone fix drive selection not being restored from db
-fix: importing a db will also include notches that are missing
-fix: CAT TX will now be turned off if MOX/Power is pressed and system was previously in a MOX/TX state (note: if you manual mox, you will not be able to un PTT via cat)
-fix: some additional null checks in ucInfoBar
-fix: Tune was not using cw_pitch correctly when in CW. Issue introduced in 21d
-fix: catstructs.xml now displayed in cat test window
-fix: issue where multiRX freq was far away from rx1 vfoa frequency after a tx causing multiRX to turn off
-fix: rx1 tx filter lines do not show on rx2 if rx2 is cw
-fix: fixed some issues with TCI sendDDS and sendIF cw pitch offsets when using CWL/CWU
-fix: fixed issue causing N1MM spectrum to be offset when in CW modes due to cwpitch not being accounted for
-fix: RX2 is initialised when using P1, when sample rate of rx2 is changed
-add: option to swap vfo wheels in midi
-add: ZZZW will change the swap wheel state in midi, can also be used to query current state
-add: tooltips on page2 infobar values
-add: calibration options for current/amp calculations added (todo same for volts)
-add: option to force ATT on Tx to 31 when PS-A is off and a new TX is initiated, it will always get set to 31 if in cw irrespective of PS-A state or this option
-add: Warren's FM improvements and fixes
-add: added option to prevent TX'ing on band that is different to RX band (note, when tx'ing vfoB when using RX2 this will always pass)
-add: added option to maintain delta between min/max spectrum if being adjusted by noise floor
-add: clicking vac over/under run notification icon will clear vac counters if configured to persist (option in audio options tab)
-add: meters, yes, lots of them, in Settings->Appearance->Multi Meters
-add: visual notch option, approximation only and not exact representation of the notch. Option to enable in DSP->MNF, default off
-add: buttons added in Options2->NoiseFloor to set shift to difference from current PBSNR
-change: linearity form recovers view mode : advanced/non advanced
-change: Ukraine flag turned off by default, and will not auto enable if Russian anymore. A setting in setup is available for those wanting to show support. Tool tips added to remember Ivan.
-change: instant update to notches when dragged around. Previously only updated on mouse up
-change: noise floor shift now up to 12dB from 6dB
Last edited by ramdor on Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:07 am, edited 8 times in total.
ULTIMAX

Re: Thetis v2.9.0.8 - meters and then some more

Postby ULTIMAX » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:52 am

OMG, the time has come !!

Thank you Richie for everything you do .

73's
Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:02 am

Great Richie, thanks so much for everything!

Thanks and 73’s
Joe
WD5Y
eu2rq

Postby eu2rq » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:12 am

Richie! Hello! A colossal job has been done. The result of your product is impressive! This is wonderful. Visually immerse yourself in all the processes of digital signal processing. I thank you for your work. Be healthy!!
SA3ATF

Postby SA3ATF » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:48 am

Looks absolutely amazing Richie. What a gift for us on Friday, the weekend is saved :D
Thank you so much and have a nice weekend everyone.
73´s from Sweden
I don’t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it!
ea3aqr

Postby ea3aqr » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:16 am

Thank you so much Richie and Ernst!

Is it mandatory to uninstall previous version or can we install the new one on top of it?
Last edited by ea3aqr on Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
New call sign EA3CL
n1drs

Postby n1drs » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:56 am

Awesome . Thank you de N1DRS
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:10 am

First of all I would like to thank Richie not only for the fantastic work, but also for the great teamwork.
We spent days (mostly via Whatsapp) to make everything as correct as possible. I have "Thetis(71).exe" here in my download folder, so you have an idea of how many rounds it took to achieve this final result.

Here you will find some nice additional graphics:
https://www.oe3ide.com/meter-graphics-thetis

How to "install":
For Multi-Meter (%appdata%\OpenHPSDR\Meters)
  • Backup your existing ananMM-dark.png, ananMM-dark-small.png and ananMM-dark-large.png
  • Replace the 3 png-files with the downloaded ones
  • Activate "Dark Mode" in Multimeter-Settings
  • Restart Thetis

For Magic Eye (%appdata%\OpenHPSDR\Meters)
  • Backup your existing eye-bezel.png and eye-bezel-small.png
  • Replace the 2 png-files with the downloaded ones
  • Restart Thetis

73 de Ernst
OE3IDE
Last edited by oe3ide on Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
m1tzr

Postby m1tzr » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:36 am

Christmas Day has finally arrived :D

Thanks for this Richie, I look forward to having a play over the weekend.

I think your screen name should be changed from Ramdor to Santa !!!
Earnst you are number one elf for all your artwork :lol:

Thanks again
Paul
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:34 am

Thanks so much Richie, Ernst and anyone else who helped out . Happy St. Patrick's day.
W3MMR

Postby W3MMR » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:49 am

Awesome! Thanks to all who helped out on this release and who have helped in the past. I've really been enjoying the "compiled", early meter version and this will be great. I'm big into visuals. And next on my list it remoting! Also, I wish that we could still set MNF's by using the scroll wheel button. That was extremely convenient for us AM op's. But now I'm being greedy! I'm happy for what we have, trust me, no complaints here!

Perry
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:07 am

Getting a directx resize error
Attachments
direct xerror.png
direct xerror.png (40.58 KiB) Viewed 17717 times
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:02 pm

Tony EI7BMB wrote:Getting a directx resize error

Tony, can you try something quickly.

1) shut down thetis
2) rename Meter folder in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR to Meter2 or something
3) start up thetis and try adding a signal strength meter
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:17 pm

Hi Richie, tried that. It adds the meter ok but when I try to re size the error message appears.

ramdor wrote:
Tony EI7BMB wrote:Getting a directx resize error

Tony, can you try something quickly.

1) shut down thetis
2) rename Meter folder in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR to Meter2 or something
3) start up thetis and try adding a signal strength meter
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:23 pm

Tony EI7BMB wrote:Hi Richie, tried that. It adds the meter ok but when I try to re size the error message appears.

ok, you can rename that folder back to Meters. I wont be able to do anymore until Monday/Tuesday unfortunately Tony. I will have to get you a test build so I can get log some values out of that resizeDX() function. Out of curiosity, are you using embeded cpu gpu, or external graphics card like an nvidia or amd, what model? Also are your gfx drivers updated?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:51 pm

Not working at all for me here, I'm afraid :(

Compared to the version I built from source (back on 25 Feb to give some idea of what might have changed):

- A meter container does not maintain it's aspect ratio. You can resize it in ways that make the meters highly distorted.
- A meter container cannot be vertically resized to remove empty space.
- Setting up a container causes random error pop ups that look like Tony's.
- While manipulating a meter container Thetis randomly crashes or the UI locks up (but the spectral display and audio continue to run).
- Most interestingly, I'm seeing the failure to render in time red square warning occasionally, something that has never happened before on any version of Thetis with that feature.

Please let me know what I can do to help debug.

This appears to be all DirectX related. DxDiag output attached.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(158.55 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:54 pm

Happy St. Pat's day to all...

v2.9.0.8 x64 working well here.

To Richie, Ernst and others involved in the latest Thetis update, many thanks for your dedication and time spent in giving us this great software.

Paul, \W9AC
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:56 pm

@scott, if you have been using other versions, can you try with a fresh db? probably wont help, but just a stab in dark atm. In about an hour I am away from here, so will have to wait until next week to track this resizing issue down.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:00 pm

Adding to the above...

Starting from a reset database does not help.

With a meter container already defined sometimes Thetis will freeze at startup and then ultimately quit.

And here's another warning I saw in addition to the one Tony posted:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (36.67 KiB) Viewed 17599 times

This was all working beautifully on 25 Feb. However it is worth noting that Microsoft pushed a .NET update to Windows 10 machines after that. Not sure that matters, just dredging up all available info.

No worries about schedule, Richie! :)
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:04 pm

Try this package -- I added a stacktrace to the error message.

I'm fixing this thing so it will install properly....stand by...

Mike
Last edited by w9mdb on Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike W9MDB
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:10 pm

No worries Richie seems fine so far otherwise after I deleted container so no rush at all. Folder name reverted. Using a video card Nvidia GeForce 1660 GTX. Afaik drivers are up to date but I will re check that. On Win 11 here

Edit: just installed latest Nvidia driver dated 14/3/2023

ramdor wrote:
Tony EI7BMB wrote:Hi Richie, tried that. It adds the meter ok but when I try to re size the error message appears.

ok, you can rename that folder back to Meters. I wont be able to do anymore until Monday/Tuesday unfortunately Tony. I will have to get you a test build so I can get log some values out of that resizeDX() function. Out of curiosity, are you using embeded cpu gpu, or external graphics card like an nvidia or amd, what model? Also are your gfx drivers updated?
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:49 pm

A beautiful software release Richie! Thank you for all your work on developing the meter interface and all the scaling that had to be done for this massive project. Also kudos to Ernst for all the time invested in developing the beautiful graphics for the cross meter, the assortment of analog Kenwood meter skins, and the magic tuning eye skins. Definitely NOT a trivial piece of work there!

73, Rob W1AEX

Thetis AEX3.jpg
Thetis AEX3.jpg (297.54 KiB) Viewed 16736 times
Last edited by W1AEX on Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
W7GES

Postby W7GES » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:33 pm

Just had a few minutes this morning to download the v2.9.0.8 version and try a few meters.

Outstanding work! Thank You to Richie and Ernst!

Hopefully I have a little time to play radio this weekend and try it out.

I have been busy getting outdoor chores done before it gets too hot in the desert.

George / W7GES
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:36 pm

With the little time I've spent with the update this morning, the only suggestion I have for consideration is a dockable container option, vertical edge meter option, and possibly an option to automatically hide metering functions that don't apply to a specific operating mode.

Just a quick comment about the 6E5 "magic eye" tube emulation. I own a ca. 1954 Central Electronics 20A transmitter that uses a 6E5 tube to assist with making adjustments to maximize transmit output level. With the flip of a switch, it also functions as a carrier null indicator in SSB mode. The 20A was one of the first commercial SSB transmitters to use the quadrature phasing method of producing a suppressed-carrier sideband transmission.

I noticed Thetis' magic eye emulation works the same way: for example, with S-meter signal strength greater than S9, the bottom portion of the eye overlaps onto itself with the overlap being a higher intensity green color.

Anyway, great job in making the magic eye function work so well.

Paul, W9AC
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:20 pm

Really looks great, awesome bit of work. Everything went smoothly.

I know it's an enormous effort, but man once you get the other control groupings in dockable/floatable containers it will bring us on par with SDR Uno and SDR Console for customizing the layout. A grail achievement for Thetis for sure.

Awesome.
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:01 pm

Thanks, Richie and Ernst!

No problems here and it looks very nice!
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:28 pm

Also my thanks to Richie and Ernst and who else is involved.

So far no DirectX problems for me. Win10 with all current updates. CPU is i7-3770 with internal GPU.
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
W1RHS

Postby W1RHS » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:51 pm

Thank You to Richie, Ernst and everyone who contributed to this release. This is a truly amazing work. Your efforts are appreciated so much.

73, RIck, W1RHS
Rick, W1RHS
7000DLE MKII
vk3amp

Postby vk3amp » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:56 pm

Hi All,

Love the customisable Meters!!

Although I think I found a bug with puresignal. If I transmit in CW and change back to SSB puresignal no longer functions. I have to re start thetis for it to work.

I am using an Anan10 with protocol 2. A friend of mine using the Anan 7000dle has reported that same problem.
vu2mb

Postby vu2mb » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:19 am

Dear Richie & Ernst,

You guys are simply amazing.
The final product looks great.
Loving it.

Richie, whenever you have time to spare, kindly have a look at your to-do list.
There is a request listed to widen the DRM filter from 10Khz to 20khz as the newer DRM transmissions
employ wider signals.

Thank you once again.

Bhanu
VU2MB
Dell Alienware R10 AMD Ryzen 9 3950 PC-16 core @3.5 Ghz,
32GB Dual Channel HyperX(TM) F URY DDR4 XMP at 2666MHz
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR 6
ANAN 8000DLE ANAN 200D ANAN 100D
Amplifier Mercury IIIS, Antenna Tuner: Palstar AT2K

Return to “Thetis”