Thetis Spotting Enhancement - Support of new security controls

Chipp

Thetis Spotting Enhancement - Support of new security controls

Postby Chipp » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:50 pm

The DXSpider spotting network is encouraging the implementation of tighter security controls over users of the network to post DX Spots or Announcements. Some nodes are starting to require you to enter a password to log into the network.

https://wiki.dxcluster.org/index.php/No ... ser_access

Effective March 1,2023, the node I currently use (N6WS-6) now requires a password. I could not find a field to enter a password and although Thetis indicates it is connected, I no longer receive any spots.
W6MY - Chip
w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis Spotting Enhancement - Support of new security controls

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:27 am

I'm having no difficulty connecting to N6WS with no password. However, I've never had a password assigned by N6WS...

Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (138.28 KiB) Viewed 2147 times

Then, a short while later spots appear...

Capture4.JPG
Capture4.JPG (141.21 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
Chipp

Postby Chipp » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:31 am

Scott,

The pass word is only needed if you want to post a spot or make an announcement.

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2023 at 01:35:06 PM PST
Subject: N6WS-6 DXSpider Login

Hello N6WS-6 DXSpider Node User,
You are receiving this email because you logged into DXSpider node N6WS-6 in the past year.

The DX Spotting Network is implementing tighter security controls over users of the network. Posting of DX Spots or Announcements will require you be logged into the network. This increased security will be implemented on March 1, 2023. When logging onto the N6WS-6 DXSpider node, you will be prompted for your password. Most logging and contesting software packages accommodate the use of a password in their configuration setup screens.

A unique password has been assigned to your Callsign.

Callsign: W6MY Password: xxxxxxxxxx

These passwords can be changed to a password you prefer by issuing the set/password command after you logon.
set/password
Enter old password: <assigned password>
Enter new password: <new password>
Re-enter new password: <new password>
Password changed
If you have questions on the use of the password, please contact the help desk for the program you are using.
73, Bill
N6WS

This may not be an issue after all, as I did not find a way to post a spot from within Thetis. It may also be unique to my configuration working with the N6WS cluster. Everything works as it should using the K1RFI cluster.

The attachment shows my screen shots. At the top right of the screen shots you will see the Thetis time stamps.
Thetis Spotting N6WS(1).pdf
(857.21 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
W6MY - Chip
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:52 am

Chip,

Yes, no way to post spots from Thetis, so that's not an issue from a password perspective, but obviously it'll need to be considered if that capability is added.

While I was able to get spots from N6WS it doesn't seem you are able to. Is that correct? Do you think that's because it is waiting for a password from you but not from me (I am not registered with N6WS and never got the email you did)?

P.S. in the future please post screenshots and images as jpg's. That way readers do not have to download and open a document, they can see then directly in the post.
Chipp

Postby Chipp » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:04 am

Scott, you are correct, I am not receiving any spots. I also think your thought about the password makes sense. I will follow up with N6WS and let you what I learn.

Thanks for always responding.
W6MY - Chip
Torrey

Postby Torrey » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:57 pm

I have been running my new ANAN-7000DLE MKlll for 6 months. I have used the Thesis Spots functions from time to time with no problem. This week, it does not work. I always get this dialog:
Clicked to Open Dx Spider
Attempting to open Dx Location list
Attempt Opening socket
Socket Forced closed

I have tried N6WS, VE7CC.net:23, and K1RFI.com:7300 with same results.

I recently updated Thesis to v2.10.0. Could this be related?

Thanks and 73 Torrey N9PY
PD3LK

Postby PD3LK » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:25 am

Chipp wrote:Scott, you are correct, I am not receiving any spots. I also think your thought about the password makes sense. I will follow up with N6WS and let you what I learn.

Thanks for always responding.

Could it be a issue with your firewall?

73/r/Leon
73 PD3LK Leon
w4cm

Postby w4cm » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:39 pm

[quote="w-u-2-o"]I'm having no difficulty connecting to N6WS with no password. However, I've never had a password assigned by N6WS...

Capture3.JPG

Then, a short while later spots appear...

Capture4.JPG[/quote

Where does the beam headings come from ?
I have imputed my Lat and Long and call sign but all headings are zero degrees.

W4CM
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:54 pm

Never tried that myself (no directional antennas here). Perhaps it is an unsupported function at this time.

Return to “Thetis”