How to perform a full backup and recovery of Thetis

w-u-2-o

How to perform a full backup and recovery of Thetis

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:25 pm

If you are concerned about a change to your Thetis operating environment going wrong, whether it's before you apply some sketchy patch your best bud whipped up in Visual Studio, or before you do an official formal upgrade to a new version, or anything in between, the following procedure goes well beyond just exporting a database and can really save the day.

Full backup of the 64-bit version:

1. Make a copy of the C:\Program Files\OpenHPSDR\Thetis folder

2. Make a copy of the C:\Users\your-windows-username-goes-here\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR folder (note: this is a hidden directory, you can navigate to it by typing %appdata% in the address bar of Windows File Explorer)

Put those folder copies in a safe place.

Full restore of the 64-bit version:

1. Delete or rename the C:\Program Files\OpenHPSDR\Thetis folder and replace it with the backup. Make sure you remember to rename the folder "Thetis" as opposed to whatever you renamed it, like "Thetis Backup", etc.

2. Delete or rename the C:\Users\your-windows-username-goes-here\AppData\Roaming\OpenHPSDR folder and replace it with the backup. Make sure you remember to rename the folder "OpenHPSDR".

Start Thetis and you'll be right back where you started.
Trucker

Re: How to perform a full backup and recovery of Thetis

Postby Trucker » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:26 am

Scott,
I want to thank your for the full backup and recovery instructions you posted here. I had been testing Steve's versions and had a lot of trouble getting the VAC settings to stabilize. I had made a backup of V2.9.0.8 from Ritchie using your instructions before trying the new releases out. Tonight, I gave in and uninstalled the new version from Steve and reinstalled the version from Ritchie. I followed your instructions on restoring the two backups and now, I am not having any overflows or underflows from VAC in or out.
I hope everyone appreciates all the work you do here in helping newbies like myself with things like this.
James
WD5GWY
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:58 am

Always backup early and often! :)
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:31 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Always backup early and often! :)

How true Scott! I would be embarrassed to show you the 32-bit folders or what is inside that Archive folder going back to 2014... :roll:
thetisprog.jpg
thetisprog.jpg (17.49 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
thetisusers.jpg
thetisusers.jpg (21.08 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:34 pm

:D

Return to “Thetis”