Using MOX vs PTT different transmit eq

n2gq

Using MOX vs PTT different transmit eq

Postby n2gq » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:54 pm

When using MOX vs PTT I get a different transmit eq during transmit It sounds thinner or not processed/adjusted. I discovered this while adjusting the dexp.

Using Thetis v2.10.3.5 x64 7000dle mkIII protocol2

I reset database but the same.
Jay N2GQ
w-u-2-o

Re: Using MOX vs PTT different transmit eq

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:37 pm

I cannot duplicate your results.

Is the DEXP and everything else 100% identical across the board except for the state of VOX?

What happens when you use MOX with VOX enabled?
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:54 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:I cannot duplicate your results.

Is the DEXP and everything else 100% identical across the board except for the state of VOX?

What happens when you use MOX with VOX enabled?

Yes everything is the same I have checked the eq, mic, dexp and xmit filter.

I forgot to mention that this is with mic plug into front mic jack and ptt from rear of radio. Going to check vac in the morning.
Jay N2GQ
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:59 pm

Okay this seems to happen only with my electret mic. It seems that the audio is lower if I use the MOX button. But If I use my dynamic mic there is no difference in xmit audio level whether I use physical ptt or mox. Maybe something with bias voltage switching in.
Jay N2GQ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:37 am

n2gq wrote:Okay this seems to happen only with my electret mic. It seems that the audio is lower if I use the MOX button. But If I use my dynamic mic there is no difference in xmit audio level whether I use physical ptt or mox. Maybe something with bias voltage switching in.

Assuming you mean "PTT switch" where you wrote "MOX button", there's a good chance that the electret mic element is somehow entangled with the PTT line on the mic jack in a way that changes how it works electrically when the PTT line is grounded during TX.

See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2573
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:03 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
n2gq wrote:Okay this seems to happen only with my electret mic. It seems that the audio is lower if I use the MOX button. But If I use my dynamic mic there is no difference in xmit audio level whether I use physical ptt or mox. Maybe something with bias voltage switching in.

Assuming you mean "PTT switch" where you wrote "MOX button", there's a good chance that the electret mic element is somehow entangled with the PTT line on the mic jack in a way that changes how it works electrically when the PTT line is grounded during TX.

No the PTT works fine. Just the MOX on thetis is where the problem is for me. I tried the bypass vac switches tick them off then on. I will continue to look into the problem. I am going to measure voltage.
Just purchased a Presonus studio 26c and will configure that in a few.
Jay N2GQ
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:06 pm

Okay it has something to do with the connector I'm using at the front of the radio. Ground disconnected cold solder joint. The old wiggle test worked. :lol:

https://community.apache-labs.com/download/file.php?id=3393 don't buy this connector the body disconnects from the trs if you tighten the shell.
Last edited by n2gq on Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay N2GQ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:15 pm

That's a beautiful connector!
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:36 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:That's a beautiful connector!

No stop on shell so it pushed out the connector you lose ground. But that was not my problem the shield was disconnected.
Attachments
20240220_142924.jpg
20240220_142924.jpg (131.35 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Jay N2GQ
K4IBC

Postby K4IBC » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:48 pm

n2gq wrote:

No stop on shell so it pushed out the connector you lose ground. But that was not my problem the shield was disconnected.

Those are very easy to over tighten. There should be a small gap between the barrel and the 90 Degree body. If you over tighten you suck the internals into the barrel like you have there. This is where the old fashion ugly flat 90 degree works better. You solder direct to the back of the contacts and the cover is held on with small screws. Just have to becareful not to short out to the cover/sleeve.
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:39 pm

K4IBC wrote:
n2gq wrote:

Those are very easy to over tighten. There should be a small gap between the barrel and the 90 Degree body. If you over tighten you suck the internals into the barrel like you have there. This is where the old fashion ugly flat 90 degree works better. You solder direct to the back of the contacts and the cover is held on with small screws. Just have to be careful not to short out to the cover/sleeve.

Yes, next time I am going to order the switchcraft connector. But now I am using the cmASIO and man it works good.
Jay N2GQ

Return to “Thetis”