where the best way to connect power speaker

elan

where the best way to connect power speaker

Postby elan » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:11 pm

hi
where is the best way to connect power speaker to the Anan 7000 due mark 2 the black one
on the front headphone or there is there way I see on the beck there is l,r speaker normal speaker ?
vy 73
Elan EA5IWT/G0UUT
w-u-2-o

Re: where the best way to connect power speaker

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:20 pm

You have to use the headphone jack on the front.

Here is a lengthy thread on powered speakers and how to interface them: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3350
elan

Postby elan » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:14 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:You have to use the headphone jack on the front.

Here is a lengthy thread on powered speakers and how to interface them: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3350

hello Scott
thank you yes I did see but why there as well speaker on the back for
but okay I will have a look on the link you sent wow your support number 1
great job many thanks
vy 73
Elan EA5IWT/G0UUT
KA5KKT

Postby KA5KKT » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:48 am

Does your computer have an onboard sound chip / card with a line level stereo (L/R) output? If you have a 'descent' onboard chip / card that may work. I run my computer similarly...does okay via VAC1 and my Realtek Audio driving an external amp . The settings include Control Panel > Sound > Recording set for Stereo Mix as default. I lied...I actually use a surround sound receiver and RCA plugs from 5.1 jacks on the computer board into Direct Input to the amp section of the SS Receiver. I drive a sub-woofer with a separate line level Sub-Out on the SS Rx.

You might try that If allowed on your setup...YMMV.

Dick - KA5KKT
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:50 pm

I run a shielded audio patch cord from the headphone output of the ANAN directly into the line-level input of my computer's soundcard. The ANAN's audio then plays directly out of the computer's Bose speaker system and as a bonus, the ANAN's audio is readily available to any sound capture software I want to use. No VAC needed at all.

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
elan

Postby elan » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:45 pm

thank you for all info
vy 73
Elan EA5IWT/G0UUT
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:32 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:You have to use the headphone jack on the front.

Scott,

In your first post in the thread in that link, you state:

"It's also worth noting that on the 7000 and 8000 series hardware Apache inexplicably did not provide external access to the left and right line level audio outputs from the Orion MKII SDR board."

Can you please explain exactly what you mean by that statement? I'm having trouble finding any clarification on exactly how (or even if) the rear speaker jacks on the 7000 can be used to capture audio.

And to clarify my own intent, I want to be able to take the individual left and right channels of audio from the 7000 and feed them into my MOTU M4 Line In jacks but I don't know how to split a stereo signal captured from the front headphone jack and feed that into separate (left and right) balanced inputs on the M4.

Thanks,
Mark
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:20 pm

K1LSB wrote:Scott,

In your first post in the thread in that link, you state:

"It's also worth noting that on the 7000 and 8000 series hardware Apache inexplicably did not provide external access to the left and right line level audio outputs from the Orion MKII SDR board."

Can you please explain exactly what you mean by that statement?

It means exactly what it says. Analog audio line outputs exist internally in the that hardware but are not accessible by connectors anywhere on the unit.

I'm having trouble finding any clarification on exactly how (or even if) the rear speaker jacks on the 7000 can be used to capture audio.

You can use them to capture audio but you would need to build or buy speaker to line level converters.

It would appear that you might not be familiar with the differences between the various types of audio signal levels. Mic levels peak at about .01 volt. Line levels peak at around 1 volt. And speaker level audio peaks in the multiple volt range, say 4-10 volts.

If you attach speaker level outputs to the Motu inputs you may damage the Motu.

And to clarify my own intent, I want to be able to take the individual left and right channels of audio from the 7000 and feed them into my MOTU M4 Line In jacks but I don't know how to split a stereo signal captured from the front headphone jack and feed that into separate (left and right) balanced inputs on the M4.

This has nothing to do with connecting powered speakers and does not belong in this topic. When we are done discussing the issue I'll split this off into its own topic.

More importantly, why would you want to take receive audio and input it into the Motu? If you want to get receive audio into some software that is what the VAC interface in Thetis is for. What exactly are you trying to do?
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:15 pm

Scott,

You are correct, there's a lot I don't know about audio signal levels. You are also correct in that my initial question has nothing to do with what I said I'm trying to accomplish, lol. I'm not nearly as good an explainer as you are, my apologies.

Here's my situation:

1) I'm currently running an AT2035 condenser mic that needs 48V power so I bought a MOTU M4 which also gives me the benefit of ASIO, and I'm using VM Potato (though probably not with anywhere near full effective utilization). I route the mic into Thetis via VAC1 ASIO thru VM.

2) I'm also currently running some Klipsch ProMedia II computer speakers plugged into the computer but I want to upgrade to something similar to what you have (JBL or Yamaha powered studio monitors) that can be plugged directly into the M4 interface, then I could route all of the computer's audio output via VM to the speakers on the M4 (hopefully at true ASIO latency because I'm looking to minimize latencies everywhere I can).

3) When running Thetis I nearly always run VFO-synced receivers (RX1 and RX2) listening on the same frequency, but the VAC interface doesn't currently allow ASIO to be used for RX2 (hopefully Richie will fix that someday, but I need to deal with the way things are today), so there's an aggravating difference in latency between the audio from RX1 and RX2. The only way for me to get around that is to capture the audio from both receivers at either the front or rear audio jacks on the 7000. I'd like to be able to feed that duplexed signal directly into the M4 somehow (I'm currently feeding that into the computer mic jack). Then that signal could be fed back thru VM to the powered speakers plugged into the M4. Hopefully all of that would take place at ASIO latency rates thru VM so I wouldn't be dependent on windows audio drivers at all anymore.

With that said, and given what I admittedly don't know about audio, I guess it's possible that one or more aspects of my desired final scenario just aren't attainable, but I'm hoping against hope that you're able to help me get as close to where I want to be as I can, lol.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:04 am

The audio connections on the ANAN amount to a custom sound card implementation that works a little slower than ASIO but a little faster than WDM-KS. You can read more about how this works at this topic: https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2612

If you take the analog audio output of the ANAN and bring it in via the Motu this will approximately double the latency compared to using any other method. Not only will there be the latency from the Motu input to the speaker output, but there will be the latency from the antenna to the audio output of the ANAN. So you probably don't want to do this.

As I think you already know, if you switch to WDM-KS for both VAC1 and VAC2, and mix VAC1 and VAC2 in Voicemeeter, then audio will be in sync if all other parameters are also matched between RX1 and RX2. As you know it won't be as fast as ASIO, but it's the best you can do with the normal 2.9.0.6 release, and faster than bring it out to analog and then back into the Motu.

There is one other possibility, and that would be to contact W4WMT (you can search for and find him on this forum). Bryan has an experimental build that provides a direct ASIO output to Voicemeeter that contains the same audio stream that goes to the CODEC in the ANAN, i.e. both RX1 and RX2 mixed together in Thetis.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:14 am

Thank you Scott, I do have Brian's contact info, I may inquire into what his build can do to fill my needs.

Mark
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:34 am

elan wrote:hi
where is the best way to connect power speaker to the Anan 7000 due mark 2 the black one
on the front headphone or there is there way I see on the beck there is l,r speaker normal speaker ?

I have purchased 3 of the ANAN 7000 DLE MKII (Black Box Versions). I use JBL Studio Monitors with all of them (the 305 series - about $135 each or $270 for a pair).

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... 0b7a682720

You can make or buy an unbalanced TRS (to go directly into the front) to Dual XLR or Single XLR. It is "Plug-N-Play."

Obviously, you can spend a lot or a little. Below is a 10' cable as described, for use with dual speakers - followed by a 10' cable to use with just one Speaker. IMHO (and that is all I can claim - it is my opinion), there is nothing else that competes with JBL Studio Monitors. The receive audio comes alive!

https://www.amazon.com/Y-Splitter-Unbal ... HJ1ZQ&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082YN9ZNP/re ... 0cnVl&th=1
RADIO: ANAN 7000 DLE MK2 (Black Version) Thetis 2.8.11.
PC: HP Desktop - Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - Intel UHD Graphics 630 - WINDOWS 10 (100% Dedicated to ANAN)
PS: ASTRON 35 AMP (100% Dedicated to ANAN)

Best 73s,
WR4N - David

Return to “Microphones, Speakers & Audio Hardware”