Is Bootloader working OK for people who are running Windows 11?

Bricked your radio? Can't get it to program? Ask here...
MichaelCaditz

Postby MichaelCaditz » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:57 pm

For those interested:

HPSDRBootloader v. 2.0.4.4 doesn't work on my Windows 11(Pro Version 21H2 build 22000.1098) computer, Although I run it as Administrator, when I click "Test for Bootloader" I get the message "Error: cannot open interface (are you running as root)."

In my case, HPSDRProgrammer v 2.0.4.0 worked, successfully flashing my 7000 DLE from protocol 1 firmware to 2.1.26 Protocol 2 (v 3.9).
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:16 pm

Mike is reporting that he is having problems. Is anyone else having the same problem?

P.S. moved this to it's own topic, it did not belong tacked onto a specific firmware-centric topic.
kc2rgw

Re: Is Bootloader working OK for people who are running Windows 11?

Postby kc2rgw » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:11 am

I never ran boot loader but does it require libpcap to be installed like the programmer?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:09 pm

kc2rgw wrote:I never ran boot loader but does it require libpcap to be installed like the programmer?

Programmer does not require NPcap or WinPcap.

Bootloader does require one of those to be installed (and Mike did install NPcap).

Detailed directions on how to use both versions of Programmer and also Bootloader can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333
Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:39 pm

I am running win 11 pro, the last time I used the bootloader to upgrade I was using win 10. I did finally get the latest protocol 2 @ version 2.2 loaded after approximately 4 hours of back and forth working with different scenarios to load it. I have an 8000dle. The bootloader finds and recognized the radio with no problem and starts the upgrade process but hangs at “erasing - this could take up to 90 seconds “ never gets off of that step. I renamed the file “metis”, back and forth. I set the radio back to “dhcp” from the static address along with the network adapter, thinking something was happening there. I tried to ping the radio after this error and could not find it even though the bootloader was showing the ip address as active, evidently part of the firmware was erased. Finally, it started loading on the last try, seemed very slow but all is good now. Curious, if I have an adapter setting screwed up? I have everything set as I saw in one of Scott’s earlier posts, so I feel all is good there, I am running a static ip, I set this back up after finalizing the upgrade. I sure was sweating it during this long four hours, getting rather good at boot loading now. If someone else has this problem, don’t give up keep working with it. Hopefully someone may be able to shed some light on this. When it did work the bootloader seemed much slower than the before times.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:10 pm

Bootloader does not care about IP addresses. When you boot the ANAN in Bootloader mode it advertises a MAC address only. The Bootloader app sends out a raw Ethernet broadcast packet that the Bootloader firmware in the ANAN responds to. Knowing the MAC address of the ANAN, the Bootloader app then uses raw Ethernet packets (no TCP/IP or UDP) to communicate with the ANAN.

There are many, many moving parts to getting Bootloader to work. Miss any one of them and it will fail. Some of these are quite subtle. In particular the illegal MAC address that the Bootloader firmware uses, which is 11:22:33:44:55:66. I've never heard of a NIC blocking that MAC, but pretty much all level 2 or level 3 smart switches do, and some dumb switches as well.

Another classic error is being confused as to the position of the Bootloader switch.

With people moving things around to obtain a direct connection to the PC NIC, bad cables and bad connections are not unknown either, as well as accidentally moved Bootloader switches.
Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:13 pm

I wasn’t sure if the adapter settings had any effect on the bootloader, it was coming up with the correct MAC address. I am connected straight from the pc to the radio, no switch involved. I was hoping that the static ip address was ok as the bootloader was connecting fine. Now I know to leave the ip setup alone when upgrading, thanks. It was acting like the connectivity was erratic. Anyway, I got a lot of bootloader training on this one for sure. When I first received the radio and first upgraded the firmware quite some time ago I used the program loader without any issues, now I have to use the bootloader to get a connection? Are there any newer versions of the update programs that I’m missing? I called myself checking so hopefully got all of that in place. I appreciate your help with the adapter settings, this helped a lot.

Thanks,
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:15 pm

Follow the link in my 28 Oct post above. It should answer most of your questions about the various options for loading firmware.
Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:49 pm

Thanks, I’m going to uninstall what I have now and start from scratch with your link. I will only install the bootloader.

Thanks,
Joe
John

Postby John » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:24 pm

HPSDRBootloader (version 2.0.4.4) 2015-1-29 worked with my relatively fresh computer build here with Windows 11 22H2 (10/19/23) build 22621.3007.
Installed npcap-1.79.exe then did a reboot before running HPSDRBootloader.
Installed firmware Metis_Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v2.2.2.rbf
GL
John
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:15 pm

I could not get mine to work. I have been trying all morning to get going and all I get is this error message
["Can't open interface are you running as root"].

I have tried installing in the same directory as the installer. Then I tried the default directory it wants to install. I turned off firewall. I have two network cards and followed the w1aex instructions. I installed npcap-1.79.
Jay N2GQ
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:15 pm

n2gq wrote:I could not get mine to work. I have been trying all morning to get going and all I get is this error message

I have tried installing in the same directory as the installer. Then I tried the default directory it wants to install. I turned off firewall. I have two network cards and followed the w1aex instructions. I installed npcap-1.79.

Try running as Administrator. That's what I had to do to get it to work correctly in Windows 11.
James
WD5GWY
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:21 pm

Trucker wrote:
n2gq wrote:I could not get mine to work. I have been trying all morning to get going and all I get is this error message

Try running as Administrator. That's what I had to do to get it to work correctly in Windows 11.
James
WD5GWY

Yes, I do run in admin mode but nothing happens I thought I had it going it said erasing but it was stuck there about 10 minutes.
Jay N2GQ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:27 pm

Two NICs? Try disabling the NIC you don't need prior to running Bootloader (Settings > Network & Internet > Change adapter options, right click on the adapter in question). You won't break anything by doing this, you can simply enable it again when you are done.
Trucker

Postby Trucker » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:27 pm

n2gq wrote:
Trucker wrote:

James
WD5GWY

Yes, I do run in admin mode but nothing happens I thought I had it going it said erasing but it was stuck there about 10 minutes.

I had the same thing happen. Here's a quote from the other thread about flashing the new firmware.

I got brave and installed the new firmware for my 8000DLE. It got stuck for over 10 minutes on " erasing firmware ". I finally exited out of HPSDR BOOTLOADER and powered the radio off. I even moved the bootloader switch to the off position and back on then powered the radio back on. Started HPSDR Bootloader again, selected the correct file again. It showed "erasing firmware 80%" then switched to programming firmware. It took a couple of minutes and it was done. Turned the 8000DLE off. Turned off the bootloader switch, then powered the radio on. Ran Thetis and everything is working fine.
This was my first time updating the firmware. I am thankful that Scott provided some very good instructions on updating the firmware. Now, to download the latest version of Thetis!
James
WD5GWY
Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:10 am

I believe Scott is correct in getting you into the network adapter area, you do not seem to be connecting at all with the bootloader. My failure along with a few others was after actually connecting, I could see a connection indication; even change ip information. For me it was locking up during the “erasure” step. I just kept connecting and disconnecting many times and restarting and it finally took. Be sure you are directly connected to the pc network adapter. Hope you get it.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:17 am

One thing you might try is try to connect without the Ethernet cable plugged in and see if the same error comes up? You may try completely removing the bootloader software and reinstalling with admin rights and check properties on the software after downloading, I make sure I check the “unblock” checkbox in properties before running in admin.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:46 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Two NICs? Try disabling the NIC you don't need prior to running Bootloader (Settings > Network & Internet > Change adapter options, right click on the adapter in question). You won't break anything by doing this, you can simply enable it again when you are done.

Ok I tried disabling the other NIC. And wifi and bluetooth to be sure. But the same was happening. When I press "test for bootloader" I see the network light on radio blink.
hpsdrbootloader.jpg
hpsdrbootloader.jpg (128.01 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
hpsdrbootloader 2.jpg
hpsdrbootloader 2.jpg (158.9 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
Jay N2GQ
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:48 pm

By the way I do use the websdr version which give me easy access to program. And it is fast.
Jay N2GQ
Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:14 pm

Not sure if you tried this yet but re-name the .rbf file to Metis.rbf. If you have done this already, I apologize for repeating. I had the hang up on the "erasing" step; I kept stopping and starting and finally it went to the next step of "programming", very slow too. It had actually erased the firmware as I could no longer connect but after many attempts finally programmed.

Joe
WD5Y
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:24 pm

Joe wrote:Not sure if you tried this yet but re-name the .rbf file to Metis.rbf. If you have done this already, I apologize for repeating. I had the hang up on the "erasing" step; I kept stopping and starting and finally it went to the next step of "programming", very slow too. It had actually erased the firmware as I could no longer connect but after many attempts finally programmed.

Joe
WD5Y

I will try the renaming.
Jay N2GQ
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:33 pm

Found the problem. The switch isn't working. Going to replace the switch.
bootloader working.png
bootloader working.png (41.08 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
Jay N2GQ
Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:49 pm

Great, glad you got it going. I know it can be frustrating but when one thing fails you back up and try something else. Also, you posting results hopefully helps someone else.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
n2gq

Postby n2gq » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:11 pm

Joe wrote:Great, glad you got it going. I know it can be frustrating but when one thing fails you back up and try something else. Also, you posting results hopefully helps someone else.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y

I figured it out this afternoon when I went to try with the renamed file as you suggested and the radio was in bootloader mode and I was still operating.
Thank you guys for the help.
Jay N2GQ

Return to “Upgrading/Downgrading”